Stats don't always lie

Yet we scored 6 goals against Premier League opposition in 3 games.

I wonder what our goals for and against look like for each manager we had this season? We looked very capable of scoring at times this season.

Particularly under Johnson recently, there has been an improvement in the number of chances we've had since he took over.

Only scored 46 goals, 3 of them came against Hartlepool, 2 against Crawley... how many goal droughts have we had?!

Not a massive difference between any of them however Dickov wins hands down with consistency over a long period!!

Our defence has been generally OK so if we can strengthen the midfield and obviously the strike rate we might not be too far away next season.

4th lowest scorers in the whole of the football league. 72 teams and we're 68th!!!That is a disgrace.

The priority of this transfer window absolutely HAS to be finding 1 or 2 top quality strikers and keeping the support around them in Baxter and Croft. Couple that with Montano back to fitness and a new desire that LJ can implement.

We're fortunate that our defence has been decent and pretty much kept us up this season, at least 3 out of the 4 who have been regulars are going to be staying and we've got back-up as well.

Big clubs are coming into the league from both Championship and League 2 and medium/small clubs leaving so the quality is increasing making it a very important Summer break.

LJ has got a massive task on his hands during his first off-season so he needs a number 2 in desperately. I don't envy him.

Edited by NewBlue

Goals conceded:

Johnson. 9 in 10 = 0.9

Philliskirk. 6 in 6 = 1.0

Dickov solo. 9 in 5 = 1.8

Dickov overall. 44 in 30 = 1.47

Small bits of progress. Slightly better up top. Slightly better at the back.

Removal of Taggs had an impact!

Edited by opinions4u

I'm less convinced after this season that it's about one goal scorer, we need a functioning attacking unit that can get goals from all attacking and midfield positions (centre backs who can score from corners would be useful too!). The big question on that front is can LJ get the most out of Baxter and at the same time the rest of the team. Do we play him in the hole with 1 striker in front and 2 central midfielders behind or do we play 2 up front with him being part of the midfield?

I thought his best position is in a 4-4-1-1 formation but we've had Derbyshire and Barnard, who have scored a lot of goals at this level or above, play the one man attacking role and we've not been prolific. Whereas 4-4-2 with Baxter centre mid leaves us exposed defensively and 4-3-1-2 loses us width.

Whatever we do, the midfield needs to chip in with more goals next season.

I thought Smith and Barnard looked like they'd make a good pairing. Rarely on the pitch together.

Yesterday Baxter and Millar showed glimpses of understanding, without it quite falling in to place. A few games together and that could grow. Has Millar got the goals in him?

Whatever we do, the midfield needs to chip in with more goals next season

Unbelievably poor contribution from the middle four.

Edited by opinions4u

I'm less convinced after this season that it's about one goal scorer, we need a functioning attacking unit that can get goals from all attacking and midfield positions (centre backs who can score from corners would be useful too!).

Agree with you here. Although, does M'Voto not score enough goals from CB for your liking!? High expectations I guess... :OASISscarf:

We had multiple opportunities to make a big-man - little-man combination this season and missed out. I do think that if we had Derbyshire with a tall flick-on/hold-up striker, be it Smith or not, we would have reaped the rewards as he was clearly a top quality striker and a bit of a coup for a club in League 1.

We've had so much striking potential this year which has frustrated me more than most. The droughts of goals can only be attributed to tactics and a mentality that Lee Croft has completely epitomised with his 'pass on sight' approach.

Baxter and Croft and Montano coupled with 2 good strikers and the development of Millar is formidable in this league. I just hope LJ has the same ability to bring in big players like Dickov had.

Edited by NewBlue

Baxter and Croft and Montano coupled with 2 good strikers and the development of Millar is formidable in this league. I just hope LJ has the same ability to bring in big players like Dickov had.

I agree although I'd rather he sign crap players and get them playing well than waste a chunk of the budget on 'coups' such as Iwelumo!

I'd like to see a lot more from Montano. Needs to work on his final ball. From what I have seen (admittedly, not very much) he has seemed short on confidence but despite that he was excellent against Preston at home before tiring. Perhaps a good pre-season and a bit of faith is what he needs.

Agree with you here. Although, does M'Voto not score enough goals from CB for your liking!? High expectations I guess... :OASISscarf:

Haha no I agree about M'voto, that's one area we have had to many problems scoring from we just need to maintain that number of goals from whichever centre backs we have. If we do keep M'voto then we'll be OK in that area.

I thought Smith and Barnard looked like they'd make a good pairing. Rarely on the pitch together.

Yesterday Baxter and Millar showed glimpses of understanding, without it quite falling in to place. A few games together and that could grow. Has Millar got the goals in him?

Unbelievably poor contribution from the middle four.

How many goals between them this season ?

Edited by BP1960

How many goals between them this season ?

Without looking, 3 is it?

We've not really had a "proper" goalscorer from midfield since Gary Mac for me - Chris Taylor's purple season for goals included him playing upfront for a portion IIRC......he got some undeserved stick for going missing, but what I'd give for a Gary Mac esq signing this coming summer - 8-10 from midfield in that box to box style is what we're crying out for.

I don't know how relevant this is - probably not a lot when you consider the changing face of football - but a year or two back :-) we had a left winger called Tony Towers ( ex Burnley if my memory serves me - but maybe not ) who at the end of a season was released. One of the stated reasons was that he did not contribute sufficient goals for the team. He'd only managed a paltry twenty one (21 - l think that was the number, give or take one or two in either direction).

Now l don't want people thinking, here's another one of those oldies stuck in the past. I enjoy today's game, with it's passion, commitment and pace - but what l mss is the entertainment factor. Football without goals ...... is just - well, l leave it to you to add your own adjective.

I don't know how relevant this is - probably not a lot when you consider the changing face of football - but a year or two back :-) we had a left winger called Tony Towers ( ex Burnley if my memory serves me - but maybe not ) who at the end of a season was released. One of the stated reasons was that he did not contribute sufficient goals for the team. He'd only managed a paltry twenty one (21 - l think that was the number, give or take one or two in either direction).

Now l don't want people thinking, here's another one of those oldies stuck in the past. I enjoy today's game, with it's passion, commitment and pace - but what l mss is the entertainment factor. Football without goals ...... is just - well, l leave it to you to add your own adjective.

I had his sticker in my Panini 78 album!

To be fair, although he did get a couple of England caps I think his 400+ game career yielded around 40 goals.

Without looking, 3 is it?

We've not really had a "proper" goalscorer from midfield since Gary Mac for me - Chris Taylor's purple season for goals included him playing upfront for a portion IIRC......he got some undeserved stick for going missing, but what I'd give for a Gary Mac esq signing this coming summer - 8-10 from midfield in that box to box style is what we're crying out for.

Danny Whitaker scored 8 in 42 I think, and everyone knows from my posts where this man is (If he ever he regains full fitness).

Edited by BP1960