Could be sue Wigan?

Even Wiki reckon they've nicked it off us as follows

Latics Oldham Athletic Short version of name

Latics Wigan Athletic Shortened version of name, shamelessly copied from Oldham Athletic; who were formed 4 decades earlier in 1896.

Mind you, could we all get sued for singing "Oh When The Blues" seeing as it's the nickname of about half a dozen clubs at the very least? :omg:

Edited by Bristolatic

It's trade mark not copyright you're talking about. Wigan trademarked 'Latics' a few years ago. Why Oldham didn't do it, I have no idea. To be fair though, Wigan have never, as far as I know, taken any action against us for trade mark infringement.

It's trade mark not copyright you're talking about. Wigan trademarked 'Latics' a few years ago. Why Oldham didn't do it, I have no idea. To be fair though, Wigan have never, as far as I know, taken any action against us for trade mark infringement.

They can't. If Man U wanted to be called the Latics, they would have a case against them, but not against someone who has already been using the name.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

They can't. If Man U wanted to be called the Latics, they would have a case against them, but not against someone who has already been using the name.

Exactly. We have been using the name Latics for over 100 years and, in cases like that, another organisation do not have the legal authority to say you can't use it in the future.

Didn't beckhams bint copyright 'posh' but she failed in her attempt to sue as Peterborough were established long before, similar scenario to us and wigan? Also a few seasons back I remember reading in the charlton programme whilst at the valley that their name was inspired by an ex oldhamer who played a part in their creation?

Unless it's been copyrighted I wouldn't imagine we'd have a leg to stand on

Wouldn't have a leg to stand on! Cos Dave Whelan.....hahahahaha i see what you did there, good one.

(Seriously, one of Warrington's players lost a testicle in the Grand Final last year. Turn it in about your sodding leg, Whelan.)

Wouldn't have a leg to stand on! Cos Dave Whelan.....hahahahaha i see what you did there, good one.

(Seriously, one of Warrington's players lost a testicle in the Grand Final last year. Turn it in about your sodding leg, Whelan.)

He then went on to steal Mario's (alleged) bit on the side away from him, with only one ball.

Hold the phone. Did Dave Whelan break his leg?