Another pearl from the 'fishal site

:grin:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22403731 Before reading this, I thought Grammarians were what they used before the 78 vinyl.

This is a great article. Language precision is a question of judgment and style (in the narrow sense of consistent, rarely contravened preference).

I'm here, I'm waiting. Perfectly punctuated, fact-checked, syntactically sound and consistent web baloney is but a PM away.

This is a great article. Language precision is a question of judgment and style (in the narrow sense of consistent, rarely contravened preference).

I'm here, I'm waiting. Perfectly punctuated, fact-checked, syntactically sound and consistent web baloney is but a PM away.

I may regret asking, but are you some sort of language expert? I see you as an English Language university lecturer or Stephen Fry-type with a monocle!

Edited by NewBlue

:grin:http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-22403731 Before reading this, I thought Grammarians were what they used before the 78 vinyl.

I abhor bad grammar, in particular as I can find it almost daily in the newspapers. The new grammar test is not the answer. The test this week was ridiculously easy, give me an hour with a level 3 child and I could get them to level 5 on that test.

Incidentally, I found a grammatical error in the script for the spelling test. They missed out a comma separating a subordinate clause. Maybe Mr Gove could use 24 Hours' services.

(I know the law says that I will have made a mistake, can someone please proof read it for me?)

Edited by Magic Mikey

I think they should concentrate on getting the correct words and spelling in place before moving on to grammar!

Last week an article started with Ee Johnson instead of Lee Johnson.

To me this shows that whoever writes for the site is not even bothering to quickly read through their output once after finishing. Poor form, but sadly not unexpected.

I abhor bad grammar, in particular as I can find it almost daily in the newspapers. The new grammar test is not the answer. The test this week was ridiculously easy, give me an hour with a level 3 child and I could get them to level 5 on that test. Incidentally, I found a grammatical error in the script for the spelling test. They missed out a comma separating a subordinate clause. Maybe Mr Gove could use 24 Hours' services. (I know the law says that I will have made a mistake, can someone please proof read it for me?)

24hours's services. It's okay. We're among fiends.

I may regret asking, but are you some sort of language expert? I see you as an English Language university lecturer or Stephen Fry-type with a monocle!

Hansard reporter and occasional sub-editor.

I think they should concentrate on getting the correct words and spelling in place before moving on to grammar! Last week an article started with Ee Johnson instead of Lee Johnson. To me this shows that whoever writes for the site is not even bothering to quickly read through their output once after finishing. Poor form, but sadly not unexpected.

That sort of stuff shouldn't even happen when you're writing. Let's start with this simple rule: if there's a red line underneath it, stop and check.

My offer extends to professional proofreading training for whoever produces this stuff in the first place. It might not make them perfect, but I guarantee fewer errors. Seriously. I'm here all day.

24hours's services. It's okay. We're among fiends.

Was that intentional? If so, fiendishly clever!

Hansard reporter and occasional sub-editor.

You forgot to mention Prediction League Champion and Occasional Piss Artist. Honestly, you're just so modest.

Edited by Bristolatic