Another pearl from the 'fishal site

24hours's services. It's okay. We're among fiends.

24 hours' is perfectly correct, so is 24 hours's, it essentially depends on if you want to pronounce it as hours or hoursiz. I think mine is more elegant.

Edited by Magic Mikey

24 hours' is perfectly correct, so is 24 hours's, it essentially depends on if you want to pronounce it as hours or hoursiz. I think mine is more elegant.

Depends how punk rock you want to be with the apostrophe. My name - 24hours - just happens to end with an s. You might think that makes things awkward; I don't. Suppose I'm really called Max. Max' attitude stinks. Geoff' heart isn't in it. Mikey' apostrophe is wrong.

I abhor bad grammar, in particular as I can find it almost daily in the newspapers. The new grammar test is not the answer. The test this week was ridiculously easy, give me an hour with a level 3 child and I could get them to level 5 on that test.

Incidentally, I found a grammatical error in the script for the spelling test. They missed out a comma separating a subordinate clause. Maybe Mr Gove could use 24 Hours' services.

(I know the law says that I will have made a mistake, can someone please proof read it for me?)

1. Posted Yesterday, 07:46 AM

2. Edited by Magic Mikey, Yesterday, 07:47 AM.

That says you did. :D

Depends how punk rock you want to be with the apostrophe. My name - 24hours - just happens to end with an s. You might think that makes things awkward; I don't. Suppose I'm really called Max. Max' attitude stinks. Geoff' heart isn't in it. Mikey' apostrophe is wrong.

I am afraid not. James' and James's are both correct. Obviously you need to add an s if the name doesn't end in s. Mikey's correct. :grin:

You need to add an s even if the name ends in s, otherwise it's wrong.

I tried to check on the OED, but you have to subscribe, so I hope the BBC will suffice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv20.shtml

When people's names end in 's', you can either add ' or 's(Charles' or Charles's) and choose pronunciation accordingly, either /iz/ or /isiz/.

:sauce: To go with your humble pie. :grin:

I tried to check on the OED, but you have to subscribe, so I hope the BBC will suffice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv20.shtml

When people's names end in 's', you can either add ' or 's(Charles' or Charles's) and choose pronunciation accordingly, either /iz/ or /isiz/.

:sauce: To go with your humble pie. :grin:

I think dropping the extra 's' in such circumstances is seen as archaic these days and adding it is now the done thing.