No Contract Offered

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you would of thought that if Johnson hadn't mentioned the length of contract when 'verbally discussing' terms then lee croft would of surely asked how long the deal was? that would of course mean using common sense.

The 2 stories sit hand in hand without anyone having to be being dishonest. If discussions had taken place that were not in the ball-park of what Croft was looking for, no contract would have been drawn up. I would fully expect that he would then be given a deadline to contact the club if he changed his mind and wanted to sit down and discuss a contract.

Assuming he'd made it clear at the time that this was not going to happen, there is no reason why he would contact the club on the day of the deadline to say that he wouldn't be contacting them.

I don't think there's a story here but I guess that doesn't make for an exciting message board.

From his late season interview then following that up at the awards dinner, Croft was never staying all his comments were from someone looking in from the outside. Good Luck to him, but the fact his best shift for the club was the penultimate home game of the season, says it all about his work ethic and those of us at the initial meeting with LJ know that he was far from impressed with Croft's work ethic and attitude…..

Croft for me is not an LJ player and even though he talked him up to the hilt, neither is Robbie Simpson….

Agreed. I think the 'glowing reference' was a polite ':censored: off'. Bet those two off the wage bill will allow LJ to bring in 3-4 noobies.

Edited by excharnwoodlatic

This whole situation is a load of :censored:e. It should of been sorted, end of.

It has been sorted, we made one offer, made it clear we we're not interested in negotiating, Croft's Agent has moved on simple as. I can't see the club or Croft losing any sleep over it, neither should the fans.

It might be cutting our nose off to spite our face, but by standing our ground we may just get some players in that want to run through brick walls for the club instead of the Twitterati Tossers promising the world but working harder on :censored:ing banana rating, race horses and pissing about in Didsbury the night before games. 5 of the Twitterati Tossers down only one remains…..says a lot for me….

Edited by oafcprozac

It has been sorted, we made one offer, made it clear we we're not interested in negotiating, Croft's Agent has moved on simple as. I can't see the club or Croft losing any sleep over it, neither should the fans.

It might be cutting our nose off to spite our face, but by standing our ground we may just get some players in that want to run through brick walls for the club instead of the Twitterati Tossers promising the world but working harder on :censored:ing banana rating, race horses and pissing about in Didsbury the night before games. 5 of the Twitterati Tossers down only one remains…..says a lot for me….

Who's the third? Connor Brown? (rofl)

Edited by excharnwoodlatic

If someone gave me a verbal deadline for a new contract and I wanted to keep my job I would get back to them before that date expired.

If I didn't reply I'd expect my job to go to someone else.

From his late season interview then following that up at the awards dinner, Croft was never staying all his comments were from someone looking in from the outside. Good Luck to him, but the fact his best shift for the club was the penultimate home game of the season, says it all about his work ethic and those of us at the initial meeting with LJ know that he was far from impressed with Croft's work ethic and attitude…..

Was Croft singled out specifically?

If someone gave me a verbal deadline for a new contract and I wanted to keep my job I would get back to them before that date expired.

If I didn't reply I'd expect my job to go to someone else.

Agreed too laid back - leaving his agent to it isn't exactly enthusiasm, but I think that is footballers and agents for you.

But, if they were keen, most employers wouldn't simply walk away without following up, if they didn't hear from you.

Think you've answered your own question there Stevie! To be honest, I think both the club, and Crofty knew there was no chance of him staying.

Crofty wasn;t all that, and only upped things when he knew it was getting to contract time.

The club gave Croft a verbal offer around the end of the season. That verbal offer probably won't have been the final offer, Crofty's agent (on his behalf) wants more money, the club up their offer but his agent wants more than the club offered. Negotiations stall, deadline comes and goes and then the club says no more offers.

Croft doesn't see a paper contract as one isn't produced until the initial negotiations are finished. Those negotiations don't get finished. Croft never knows about the (possible) extra money offered because his agent deals with it. So he never gets the opportunity to ring LDJ to say anything, and he forgets about the deadline. I wouldn't mind betting that sometime this weekend they have a conversation and wish each other well.

We are far from desperate to sign him, as we have Millar and others who can play there. Plus there are apparently a few decent players available.

Croft also knows that other clubs might be interested, a lot of which can pay more than us. From January onwards he played well enough for some Championship clubs to be interested. A reason for which was his weight loss (around a stone IIRC).

The 2 stories sit hand in hand without anyone having to be being dishonest. If discussions had taken place that were not in the ball-park of what Croft was looking for, no contract would have been drawn up. I would fully expect that he would then be given a deadline to contact the club if he changed his mind and wanted to sit down and discuss a contract.

Assuming he'd made it clear at the time that this was not going to happen, there is no reason why he would contact the club on the day of the deadline to say that he wouldn't be contacting them.

I don't think there's a story here but I guess that doesn't make for an exciting message board.

This.

Some people on here have seen things in pure black and white terms and assumed they have all the info.

The club wanted to show they are taking a hard stance, it might not have been what I would have done, but it was clear that a new broom was being bought in. There are not many we would keep so a clearout is obvious.

It will be interesting, Dickov cleared out the deadwood, and we had a bright start for 3 months. Lets hope it continues.

Club is spinning more furiously than Campbell and Mandelson at the moment, first claiming that Smith was offered new contract despite Corney telling the meet the manager crew in March that he was leaving, and now this Croft business.

Nah, it is Crofty, with semantics of it not being offered in writing. We know he had a verbal offer. I've never had a letter offering me a job and accepted before confirming it verbally. He knew he wasn't staying.

Pure deceit from Croft. Employment contracts can be offered verbally and it's then up to negotiation if the employee wishes it. Neither Croft or his agent has got back to the club since the offer - over a month ago - and LJ is quite right to do what he did. The tweet suggests that Croft leaves everything to his agent, will play for the highest bidder, having no no particular commitment to the club, and has yet to receive an acceptable offer from elsewhere. Fine. (Croft is not an intellectual but it's touching that he doesn't want to upset the Latics fans.) The corollary is that LJ will shed no tears and seek a new player at least as good who wants promotion from Division 1. Dickov was still waiting for his chums to get back to him well into July. We are becoming a professional club again, with the ethics and standards to match.