As reality set in for LJ

Like PD before him we heard how deadlines would be given and upheld or only the right players identified and wanted to play for the club would be signed. How players would have to take a reality check on their wage demands and that the lower budget imposed from above wouldn't be a problem in building his side. Talk of hand shakes on deals and early signings to gel his squad early into pre season.

Then for PD after a few months talk of players and agents demands and the unbelievable wages these players were on and expected. Expressing how his hands were tied behind his back on building the side he wanted.

So when will the stuffing be knocked out of LJ?. We've already witnessed his hand shake deal collapse and only one (Lee Croft) deadline missed, whilst all the others seem to be on different time scales. Now he's reported as saying there will be no immenent signings in the next few weeks and hopes to have four signing in by mid july now.

I am in no way calling or getting on LJ's back here but perhaps his early optimism was running on high.

I like your dropped H.

It's open an invitation to complete the sentance.

'As reality set in for LJ, former goalkeepers take the piss on social network.'

Or

'As reality set in for LJ, repuatable Liverpool businessman offers tax free way forward to invest and move the club forward.'

I think you've a point Lags. Maybe early on signing Dayton and Clark-Harris he thought it would be plain sailing. Then the talks extended with Vigurs, Croft left under a cloud. Cizak has gone the same way today.

It's all part of the learning curve for him. This is how it is.

Now he's reported as saying there will be no immenent signings in the next few weeks and hopes to have four signing in by mid july.

Maybe he has realised that fans are unhappy with being promised (or believing they are promised) quick signings? If one arrives by this time next week he can say "things worked really quickly on this".

He doesn't need to promise anything, the line he says about "things are going on behind the scenes" will suffice. If it doesn't with some fans - tough. That's all I'd say.

Edited by pukka

It's been clear to see on this forum for a few months we've almost been hyper-optimistic about LJ and we've evaluated him the polar opposite way Dickov was judged at the end of his tenure. Every mistake Dickov made fans picked up on which spread negativity; everything that LJ has done fans have picked up on and construe positively. It was only a matter of time before people started to examine him over a small question-mark whilst he is held in such high regard already.

It's to be expected that a rookie manager will find out some concealed truths that they were unaware of as players, and perhaps that infancy in management is being exposed a little with the Vigurs situation, Crofty's contract and the odd circumstances surrounding Cisak's departure.

But his character suggests that he will persevere and the stuffing won't be knocked out of him any time soon. He's probably just realised the reality of this league after a very good start but he's on a better platform to succeed than Dickov was - having his dad around for support, time spent in lower leagues as a player and the invaluable experience gained at the end of last season.

We probably did get carried away at first but there's no reason to stop believing that he will create a good side for next season or he'll lose enthisiasm...

Edited by NewBlue

It's been clear to see on this forum for a few months we've almost been hyper-optimistic about LJ and we've evaluated him the polar opposite way Dickov was judged at the end of his tenure. Every mistake Dickov made fans picked up on which spread negativity; everything that LJ has done fans have picked up on and construe positively. It was only a matter of time before people started to examine him over a small question-mark whilst he is held in such high regard already.

It's to be expected that a rookie manager will find out some concealed truths that they were unaware of as players, and perhaps that infancy in management is being exposed a little with the Vigurs situation, Crofty's contract and the odd circumstances surrounding Cisak's departure.

But his character suggests that he will persevere and the stuffing won't be knocked out of him any time soon. He's probably just realised the reality of this league after a very good start but he's on a better platform to succeed than Dickov was - having his dad around for support, time spent in lower leagues as a player and the invaluable experience gained at the end of last season.

We probably did get carried away at first but there's no reason to stop believing that he will create a good side for next season or he'll lose enthisiasm...

Yes I like that.

One of the most sensible quotes on here in a long time

The praise he gets was given to Dickov in the early stages of his tenure for the same reasons. We thought Dickov was a disciplinarian who'd settle for no :censored: and have his players running through hoops.

There was talk of the camaraderie, players wanting to play for him and him setting deeadlines and not being bullied by agents etc. All this is now heaped on Johnson when in truth it's guesswork and that's just how we want him to be.

Dickov would've been slated abouth Croft and Vigurs too.

I'm positive and like Johnson, hopefully we've 'unearthed a gem' but some of the stuff I read on hear makes me laugh. People attribute qualities to him we don't actually know he has.

Think people look into things too much people like LJ aren't going into football management after a successful career on footy manager they know the professional game and will not expect everything to be plain sailing.

Yes Vigurs did a last minite u-turn but it could happen to any club and manager in our position. Croft will no doubt be on a short deadline because they probably expected him to be on his way and As a right winger will be easier to replace, mvoto will have longer because despite what some say on here he will be very hard to replace. Some of the others yet to sign will be squad players maybe they want to try their luck elsewhere, while today's Chron quoted LJ saying Cisak would probably go despite saying a new contract would be signed.

We've also already got 2 positive signings in early doors and there is plenty of time to go yet. Ill start to worry if the season starts and players in key positions have not yet being signed something dickov did for the last two seasons.

I don't really ever care about the holiday season signings and friendlies. I just enjoy recharging my hopes and optimism ready for it to be smashed to pieces by the end of August;)

No other clubs in our division are free spending and bringing in loads of players left, right & centre.

There's no panic yet, at all. He's got plenty of time to bring in the right kind of players, and the right number 2 to work along side him also.

I'll start worrying in July.

No other clubs in our division are free spending and bringing in loads of players left, right & centre.

There's no panic yet, at all. He's got plenty of time to bring in the right kind of players, and the right number 2 to work along side him also.

yupp, loads of time yet

The praise he gets was given to Dickov in the early stages of his tenure for the same reasons. We thought Dickov was a disciplinarian who'd settle for no :censored: and have his players running through hoops.

There was talk of the camaraderie, players wanting to play for him and him setting deeadlines and not being bullied by agents etc. All this is now heaped on Johnson when in truth it's guesswork and that's just how we want him to be.

Dickov would've been slated abouth Croft and Vigurs too.

I'm positive and like Johnson, hopefully we've 'unearthed a gem' but some of the stuff I read on hear makes me laugh. People attribute qualities to him we don't actually know he has.

Well said, that man.

Something's changed. There's a point every summer now when we don't have an XI to field in the event that an emergency game gets organised.

That never used to happen. It makes short-term financial sense. Make of that what you will.

Simpson

Brown

Byrne

Cooper Bez

Grounds

Sutherland

Mellor

Wes

Dayton

Baxter

Clarke-Harris

Subs

Gossett

Montano

Truelove

Cooper

I'm probably missing some but that, Simpson aside, is better than the team we fielded for some period of the last 2 games.

Edited by rudemedic

What people are forgetting is that he watched and learned from his father a very good lower league manager. Who has just got a club smaller than latics into the CHAMPIONSHIP. So I wouldn't go as far as to say he is a complete novice in regards to dealing with players. I am not panicking yet. There is something about LJ that makes me think he may come good for our club.

Simpson

Brown

Byrne

Cooper Bez

Grounds

Sutherland

Mellor

Wes

Dayton

Baxter

Clarke-Harris

Subs

Gossett

Montano

Truelove

Cooper

I'm probably missing some but that, Simpson aside, is better than the team we fielded for some period of the last 2 games.

We'll be okay then if someone arranges a game. Everyone can relax.

I'm now worried that as season tickets haven't yet been sent out, I may not get a ticket for any emergency games that get organised.

I've read on the twatosphere that we are very close to a game with a combined ambulance, fire brigade and police team.