Team as it stands

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Montano/Dayton will start the season on the right ahead of Schmeltz. New CB ahead of Byrne with Winchester at RB.

Same here, I don't think Schmeltz will be a starter initially.

I can see him going 4-3-3 if Rooney does sign with Dayton on the left of the midfield 3

This /\

Although some of the competition comes from very young lads like Cooper, Suterland, Gossett, Truelove et all...it does look healthy; apart from CB & RB to me.

Good thing. Players pushing each other for places, and a manager who, whilst in his infancy, has shown he's not afraid to make changes.

Right back is a problem now after Winchester injury, although Smith could fill in there.

Only the back 4 that concerns me a little...but think our attacking line is very strong!

I've been really impressed with how we've done with new signings, all bar at the back.

For me, we're a CB and a RB short for the starting IX.

Still plenty of time left to bring those in though, and with how its gone so far, i'm hopefull...

Baxter isn't a shoe in IMO, a poor display at Curzon may open the door for Clarke Harris to impress and stake his claim

Ridiculous statement. Baxter is our best player, the play-maker at our team. And you're saying put him on the bench because he showed a poor display in his first 90 minutes of the season in a friendly away at Curzon Ashton. I guarantee Baxter will not be dropped.

Ridiculous statement. Baxter is our best player, the play-maker at our team. And you're saying put him on the bench because he showed a poor display in his first 90 minutes of the season in a friendly away at Curzon Ashton. I guarantee Baxter will not be dropped.

He may think he's a fixture therein lies the problem, he's shows a poor attitude IMO.

Edited by BP1960

No-one should be a guaranteed starter in this team, best player (on paper) or not.

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

Don't care how Baxter plays in friendlies as long as he produces the goods in the league and cups this coming season.

How can anyone suggest dropping him? He may look a little disinterested at times in matches but then he shows his brilliance; taking on the defence, linking up the team and bagging us goals.

He's in the same mould as the likes of Gazza, Waddle, Le Tissier, Joe Cole, Lee Trundle. You scratch your head as to why he's picked and then 60 minutes later he's picking up the MOTM award.

LJ already said he's building a team around him, which is what's happening. Two behind to mop up and break the counter-attack allowing Jose the free role and supplying for our front three to bomb forward. Exciting times ahead. Secure a CB or two to save our hearts and fingernails or back to the Big Joe days of you score 3 but we'll score 4!

Don't care how Baxter plays in friendlies as long as he produces the goods in the league and cups this coming season.

How can anyone suggest dropping him? He may look a little disinterested at times in matches but then he shows his brilliance; taking on the defence, linking up the team and bagging us goals.

He's in the same mould as the likes of Gazza, Waddle, Le Tissier, Joe Cole, Lee Trundle. You scratch your head as to why he's picked and then 60 minutes later he's picking up the MOTM award.

LJ already said he's building a team around him, which is what's happening. Two behind to mop up and break the counter-attack allowing Jose the free role and supplying for our front three to bomb forward. Exciting times ahead. Secure a CB or two to save our hearts and fingernails or back to the Big Joe days of you score 3 but we'll score 4!

If Baxter is undroppable, we're in for another tough season.

I really dont understand the :censored: that Connor Brown gets on here...... Last season he was targetted as the weak link but his last 10-15 games i thought he really stuck up for himself and showed promise....away at Swindon for example every tackle he made 2 or 3 players came over to high five him. I think the team believes in him.

The gaffer clearly likes him as he didnt have to give him a payrise he could have just kept him on the same money and just given him the 1 year option we had.

Lets get behind the boy and see if he can become a man rather than getting on his back from day one of the new season....

Anyone who thinks after offering him a new deal and increased money we are going to sign another right back is clueless.

Defensively he's ok, when he first arrived he was too gung ho going forward now seems reluctant to go forward. Needs to find balance in his game but he's 20/21 nad that will come with experience. I agree too many have written the lad off, what he needs is to build on his extended run at the back end of the season and make the right-back berth his own. Which I think he will do.

Defensively he's ok, when he first arrived he was too gung ho going forward now seems reluctant to go forward. Needs to find balance in his game but he's 20/21 nad that will come with experience. I agree too many have written the lad off, what he needs is to build on his extended run at the back end of the season and make the right-back berth his own. Which I think he will do.

This.

I've also noticed that he panics on the ball and hesitates when picking out who to pass to, but i'm sure that will improve with time.

Some more competition in defence is needed though, right back competition may help to advance his game

If he improves, then he starts to earn the place and that's fair enough. But he's got a heck of a lot of improving to do.

I happen to not think its "clueless" Wizzo to objectively look at the potential starting X1 and see where the obvious weak links are. RB is clearly one of them. Could we benifit from anthor Right Back coming in? Abso-bloody-lutely we could. Are we light there with only Connor Brown and a make-shift 2nd Option of Winchester as the back-up? Heck, yes we are. So, it really isnt clueless to suggest we need strengthing there.

For me, we need a RB in as starter. Connor Brown rightly drops down to back-up; where he cover both RB & LB from the bench. He can be worked on everyday in training and in reserve games, to improve him (which he massively needs) and - if at some stage of the season, with development away from 1st team duties, he's needed; he can come in.

We start & then continue the season with Brown at RB and i'm worried. Because he's just not a very good player. Teams target him, and will continue to do so. He shouldn't gain massive praise for 'standing up to it' every so often - because that's what he's suppose to do; every game.

If Rooney signs up, IMO all we then need is a CB as starter to partner Tarky, and we need a RB as starter. Cliff Byrne and Connor Brown the ones to drop down to the bench as squad members.