Paul Gerrard joins Dickov

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish him all the best, but what did we get with him, 2 keepers of similar ability, both prone to mistakes, who seemed to get worse as the season went on. We move on to better things.

Agreed 100%. Keepers are not up to scratch finger has to be pointed at PG

Andy Gorton just met him in the pub and took it from there.

I was thinking more on the lines of David Best , Jimmy Rollo, Harry Dowd, Peter McDonnell, Gary Kelly, Andy Goram, and I don't think Les Pogliacomi had a goalkeeping coach when he was at the club.

Edited by BP1960

Goalkeeping coaches seem to be a recent phenomenon, how did many fine Latics keepers from the past manage without one ?

Wouldn't say they're that recent. Certainly around when Goram & Gorton were with us but I'd guess it would be soon after the time when better outfield players and lighter balls meant that it was no longer acceptable just to stick Fatty Foulkes in net. Probably the most technical position on the field these days which means that getting a decent new coach will be vital.

Agreed 100%. Keepers are not up to scratch finger has to be pointed at PG

Something of a self defeating argument here? You attest that keepers don't need coaches because they make no difference yet you want to blame them the goalkeeper coach for affecting performace

Not sure about this, but I think goalkeeping coaches arrived after it was realised that they could do more than just lump it upfield and become more of an attacking unit by starting attacks from the back.

Positioning, angles, passing, kicking in general, marshalling a defence and setting walls are all more a part of a keeper's armoury than they were back in the day.

Mind you, I wish someone had come up with the idea of those gloves when I was playing. It was either chew gum and spit the sugar on to cotton gloves for grip or hope to Christ your hands weren't too cold to catch the damned thing.

I was thinking more on the lines of David Best , Jimmy Rollo, Harry Dowd, Peter McDonnell, Gary Kelly, Andy Goram, and I don't think Les Pogliacomi had a goalkeeping coach when he was at the club.

But a fair few of them had natural ability, I don't remember Best or Rollo, Harry was a early hero of mine, pick of the bunch was Goram though, made it look easy, you can't coach what he had.

But a fair few of them had natural ability, I don't remember Best or Rollo, Harry was a early hero of mine, pick of the bunch was Goram though, made it look easy, you can't coach what he had.

He credits Alan Hodgkinson with his development. This is taken from an interview about his early days at Rangers...

"I messed up in three games in my first month. I put us out the European Cup against Sparta Prague, out of the League Cup semi-final against Hibs, then let one in from 50 yards against Hearts.

The gaffer told me he didn’t know what was wrong because he’d never been a goalkeeper.

I’d worked with Alan Hodgkinson at Oldham and I said I needed him. He brought Hodgy up and that was a key thing."

Not sure about this, but I think goalkeeping coaches arrived after it was realised that they could do more than just lump it upfield and become more of an attacking unit by starting attacks from the back.

Positioning, angles, passing, kicking in general, marshalling a defence and setting walls are all more a part of a keeper's armoury than they were back in the day.

Mind you, I wish someone had come up with the idea of those gloves when I was playing. It was either chew gum and spit the sugar on to cotton gloves for grip or hope to Christ your hands weren't too cold to catch the damned thing.

I don't think dedicated goalkeeping coaches were common at clubs before the 1980s. although there were many books on the subject, I remember one by Lev Yashin back in the 1950s.

Having said that I'm not sure what Ray Clemence can teach Englands's goalkeepers, they have enough coaching at their own top flight clubs without confusing them further.

Why would anyone look silly? Its simply opinions on an ex failed manager. The simple facts are he had almost universal backing for ages, knew the budget from day one had more chances than many managers would get and we would have been relegated with him in charge. He left to protect his CV failed miserably with the team the cup run almost proving what was possible. Tactics erm did we have any?, fitness or stamina dubious, favourites even if played out of position, excuses and the rest.

Personally I dont think he deserved a chance in a higher division just yet as done nothing to earn it some of the statements he has come out with refer back to latics when not needed even as sound bites for new employees. Almost shows a lack of respect to a point. Nice bloke to talk to, did care about results but ultimately wasnt very good at it with us.

If we had been doing well with Butler on board etc fair enough but it was abject rubbish in lots of games and some of the younger players lost any enthusiasm at all. I honestly believe he will not be manager at Donny in 18 months time. But if he is good luck to him but no silly involved he might have learned from past mistakes. However I wont be rushing to look for Donny results onwards and upwards at BP hopefully we certainly cant be as submissive as last season. Our home record was criminal.

I cant remember a manager having more backing from fans than Dickov and people wanting him to do well but his words did not match the results. Time to look forward but when he shuts up sort of making excuses for his failings then some like me might stop comments as its Latics that matters not some South Yorkshire backwater.

Exactly. Just couldn't be mithered writing it ;-)