The Lee Johnson Honeymoon Period

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gor 20-1. Had to request it with bet365 they were only offering promotion or champions initially. The odds wernt that much shorter than promotion by any means

Just for top 6? They're great odds. Not confident we'll make the top 6 but I'd have a few quid on at 20/1.

The last two managers that we've given nigh on 3 years to have got progressively worse over time instead of better, teams have proven that short term success can be achieved even without a big budget (see Yeovil) and LJ has not far off a clean slate to work with. I've always been a fan of slow and steady winning the race but I now see no reason why a manager can't show us what he's all about in the space of a season, even one as inexperienced as LJ.

Those 2 managers I take it were Sheridan and Dickov?

Its an interesting comparrison both of them had us punching above our weight in their first 6 months but seemed to run out of steam in the final 3 months of their first season. They then both followed this up with a steady second season nothing special but enough to avoid the sack. The 3rd season was the time you really need to be taking the club forward things started to go wrong and as neither knew how to fix it they both paid for it with their jobs. That will ultimately be the key when things do go wrong will johnson be able to identify and more importantly solve the problems that he comes up against. Especially on limited resources, the likelihood is that the teams with the bigger budgets will be at the top end of the division but their is always that one dark horse who punches above its weight and gets in the mix, you never know next season it might be us.

I can only give him until January. It will be his team, and if we are struggling towards the wrong end of the table then he will be failing, and we may need a change to get us out of the mess. If he does well as Dickov did until the snow came, then I will give him the rest of the season. If we finish in the top 10, then I will call him a success and he will have more or less the same players for another season, and should be able to hit the top6 with some improvements to the squad.

I can only give him until January. It will be his team, and if we are struggling towards the wrong end of the table then he will be failing, and we may need a change to get us out of the mess. If he does well as Dickov did until the snow came, then I will give him the rest of the season. If we finish in the top 10, then I will call him a success and he will have more or less the same players for another season, and should be able to hit the top6 with some improvements to the squad.

January? Bloody hell, that's bit strong, isn't it? I think you're asking a lot, Al. You can't give a new manager an ultimatum like that; it's unrealistic. And he only gets to keep the second year of his contract if we end up in the top ten? It's too much pressure; you have to look at steady progress, not instant success.

What happens if he does an Uncle Ronnie and blows the League away in the first few months? "There ya go, Lee, well done son. You're here for keeps." Then it goes tits up and we end up mid table. Do you then sack him and start all over again?

No, give the guy a really good go at it. Let him build this coming season and consolidate. The really major improvement may not come until 2014-2015. Let's not start a managerial revolving door.

For me unless things are drastically wrong ie 10 game losing streak i would always give a manager until he has had time to chop and change until the squad is entirely his own and usually that takes a good couple of years. There are certain players at the club johnson couldnt get rid of if he tried at the moment until their contract runs out

Really?

Jeez.

I'd say you'd best re-look at managing your expectations...

LJ may not be the messiah but there is nothing he has done on the field tactically that does not stand him head and shoulders above Dickov. Dickov was like an hare in the headlights, Johnson changes it, 3 subs at half time if necessary. He is in front of Dickov on points also - for the time being.

LJ may not be the messiah but there is nothing he has done on the field tactically that does not stand him head and shoulders above Dickov. Dickov was like an hare in the headlights, Johnson changes it, 3 subs at half time if necessary. He is in front of Dickov on points also - for the time being.

He's been a manager for 10 games.

He's been a manager for 10 games.

Not only that but manager of an inherited side who were in dire form, no confidence and had never managed a game before in his life

Say what you want but in the run in we wouldn't be league 1 still had he not come in and lifted the club and smith goals

Not only that but manager of an inherited side who were in dire form, no confidence and had never managed a game before in his life

Say what you want but in the run in we wouldn't be league 1 still had he not come in and lifted the club and smith goals

Fine, but 10 games isn't long enough to be dubbing him a good manager - if he loses his next 10 that doesn't mean he's a bad manager either.

The last manager got the goodwill of most Latics fans for much longer than was perhaps deserved.

The initial groundswell of goodwill to Lee Johnson, an unknown, has been earned by a mixture of talking the talk and walking the walk. It's won fans over and rightly so. He made the changes that got us out of a hole.

That's not to say that he's the Messiah. There were some performances under Johnson that simply replicated what led to Dickov's demise. Hardly surprising as the personnel were much the same. But, in the name of goodwill, I'll see this as giving a new manager a chance to identify weaknesses and address them.

But the measure of Johnson will be what he achieves with the team that he puts together. I have no idea about the new signings and their ability. A few YouTube glimpses will never convince me one way or the other. I do know that as June ends and professional footballers stop getting paid Latics will make new signings. The same applies to coaching staff too.

A bunch of average footballers with a mix of youthful ambition and steady experience can't really be expected to achieve much more than a solid mid-table position. But, as a true football fan, I have to have hope. Without it there is little point. And I've always believed that a bunch of average footballers can be made in to an above average team.

So for now Lee Johnson is my hope. Not only will he be my great hope but I will also have faith in him. I'll give him a chance to fix things when it goes wrong, whichever method he chooses to use. I'll accept it when he bins off players I see as being decent. I'll accept it when he brings in youths, unheard of foreigners and players from the dodgy league to the north.

But there will be a judgement day. Hope tells me it might be a positive moment when we all realise we have a gem. Reality suggests it's more likely to be another disappointing run of results where it's clear that the squad he put together and motivated cant cut it.

For now let the hope over-ride the doubt. Let the dream diminish the nightmare. Let the opportunity for change and improvement take shape.

The truth will eventually reveal itself. Hopefully with an open top bus!

Great post.

All logic, common sense and history says that you cannot get a virtually new team and expect it to gel instantly.

We must allow time.

It's just that we have allowed nearly 15 years!

But I have hope that LJ will be the man, even if a few concerns linger.

Time will tell.

I hope that LJ is given as much time as Dickov.

Great post O4U, (as always) we need a massive slice of luck also..........Im with him for a year whatever happens, can only be an improvement on the bilge dished up in the league last season under Dickov. Cant wait for the new season to start..................

LJ deserves at least two full seasons.

On paper he's taken a squad that underwhelmed last season and so far injected it with pace and attack mentality.

Absolutely, not bothering with any keepers or centre halves is about as attacking as you can get