Our Greatest Captain

Didn't he go to Portugal while things where thin?

Stuck with us until his contract was up.

You can't blame him but that is not thick and thin, is it?

Stuck with us ,prior and during administration. He left once we were safe and that his contract was up. He could of walked before then, like quite a few did. Not that I blame them. Because you need to pay the mortgage. He didn't engineer a move during a relegation battle, like a certain overrated captain did.

• 4 weeks later...

Article has now gone live, heavily edited but you get the gist. In the end after careful consideration the only choice for me was Dux, he was our leader when we really needed someone to steer our team of kids to safety in this division year after year. If only we had a similar leader out there at the moment…..

http://prostatecanceruk.org/get-involved/do-an-event/football-league/men-uniteds-greatest-captain/46-lee-duxbury-oldham-athletic

Please share, the more hits the article gets the more the campaign raises and the more awareness of the website, the more lives can be saved from this often undetected illness.

Wasnt Andy Holden club captain before Milligan, I recall him always being injured but stayed and had a massive influence off the pitch as captain? I might also be talking rubbish, would have only been 6/7 ot 8yr old at the time

He was Dave yes, but I think in his 2 1/2 years on the playing staff he only made 24 appearances - most of those at the back end of 88/89. He was a leader though and made Sean Gregan look like Danny Boshell…..

Full unedited original article…

Oldham Athletic’s Greatest Captain

Lee Duxbury 1997-2003

Many Oldham Athletic fans are likely to disagree with my choice of Lee Duxbury. Mike Milligan will be a favourite of many given he was the Captain during the clubs halcyon days of the late 80s and early 90s, however he Captained a team that was exceptional all over the park. A few may protest why no Paul Murray? Who led us during the dark days of 2003/04 or similarly Sean Gregan who was the one shining late during the dreadful, dreary Dave Penney era.

What made your captain so great?

Duxbury was a leader in every sense of the word. He was a shining example to the team of mainly youngsters around him. Tough in the tackle and willing to drive his charges forward – I termed him ‘Mr Dependable’ due to his uncanny knack of popping up with priceless goals. Dux is our Greatest Captain due to his longevity in the role and captaining a young side that over achieved for most of his tenure.

What was his defining moment as skipper?

If ever a game summed Duxbury up it was Oldham Athletic’s last visit to Maine Road in March 1999. Latics already a goal up, had just seen City miss the chance to level from the spot. He quickly drove the team forward, and within a minute a corner was won. Duxbury as he did so often made his late run to steal in unmarked to send a diving header past a perplexed Nicky Weaver. Despite City pulling one back, and throwing the kitchen sink at Latics, Duxbury’s goal was the winner. Legend status attained!

If he was a character in a famous movie, who would he be and why?

Lee Duxbury was the footballing equivalent of John McClane – a reluctant hero, placed in a situation where he needed to take control. Who excelled in the role of Captaining such a young side. Dux was simply a man who saw leadership and setting a shining example to his young teammates as his job and one he took on with pride.

Edited by oafcprozac

Didn't he go to Portugal while things where thin?

Stuck with us until his contract was up.

You can't blame him but that is not thick and thin, is it?

Out of contract,

Not actually true.

Cause he was out of contract and had the chance to play against teams like Porto, Sporting Lisbon and Benfica. Probably secured his future and his young family and tasted a lovely country.. that's probably why , oh, and he also said he would be leaving at the end of the season after he secured our league 1 status.