Jonson Clarke-Harris

This is what I'm interested in. Smith only became good once he realised that he needed to do this. Can't get to the ball because the defender is in your way? What defender, you're 6 foot odd, occupy the space he's currently in and make damn sure you win that ball.
Good defenders push, pull, nip, tug, kick, obstruct and foul forwards game in, game out. Good forwards push, pull, nip, tug, kick and obstruct defenders game in, game out. It is a man's game out there, no room for Mr Nice Guy or for film star looks. They are being paid to score or stop others score. If you have to break your nose to do either then it gets broken, that's what those juicy wages are for. Worried that your broken nose will keep the ladies away? That's what those juicy wages are for. Short career, you can either spend it playing half measures at a dump like BP or go full pelt and get signed by someone who will stuff your wallet with more money than can dream of and give you a shot at a medal.
We've been too nice a side over the last few years, I want to hear opposition manager's complaining that we only won as we bullied their side, proper 70's Leed's stuff. If the away fans aren't booing when Mellor and Smith (K) get the ball or when JCH goes on a run then we might as just clap their team off the pitch with the three points in their hand. Under Dowie we did this and it got us to the play-offs, yes we had a good squad but there were no half measures from that team.

This all day.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% this.

This is what I'm interested in. Smith only became good once he realised that he needed to do this. Can't get to the ball because the defender is in your way? What defender, you're 6 foot odd, occupy the space he's currently in and make damn sure you win that ball.
Good defenders push, pull, nip, tug, kick, obstruct and foul forwards game in, game out. Good forwards push, pull, nip, tug, kick and obstruct defenders game in, game out. It is a man's game out there, no room for Mr Nice Guy or for film star looks. They are being paid to score or stop others score. If you have to break your nose to do either then it gets broken, that's what those juicy wages are for. Worried that your broken nose will keep the ladies away? That's what those juicy wages are for. Short career, you can either spend it playing half measures at a dump like BP or go full pelt and get signed by someone who will stuff your wallet with more money than can dream of and give you a shot at a medal.
We've been too nice a side over the last few years, I want to hear opposition manager's complaining that we only won as we bullied their side, proper 70's Leed's stuff. If the away fans aren't booing when Mellor and Smith (K) get the ball or when JCH goes on a run then we might as just clap their team off the pitch with the three points in their hand. Under Dowie we did this and it got us to the play-offs, yes we had a good squad but there were no half measures from that team.

This above /\

One of my main issues with Matt Smith when he was with us was he was just too nice on the pitch, until the penny dropped under TP that he needed to toughen up.

When talking about Smith needing to 'Man-Up basically - I used some quotes from Kenny Jackett when he had Steve Morrison with him at Millwall. He worked on SM constantly as he was too nice on the pitch. He once banged into and knocked over a CB, and then helped him up and apologised constantly for doing it. Kenny Jackett basically told him to never do that again, and banging and barging into opposition players was part of parcel of the game. Essentially he was told to man-up.

I said this is what Matt Smith needed to do, because for 18months of his 2 years here, he was as hard, as mean and an tough as a wet flannel.

Once he figured out he needed to add to his game this tough streak, and to start to put himself about, he actually started to punch his weight – and he became a different player.

I have no issue with JCH cynically pushing a defender in the back. None at all. He can do it all game for me if he gets away with it.

I like players who have that about them. Opposition players do it all the time to us, and we have needed to wisen up to it for years. We’ve been too much of a soft touch in terms of that.

Rooney looks to have it, so does JCH. K Smith has that side to his game, so does Wes. Cliff Byrne has it in spades; and Tarky can certainly hold his own. We will need it this season, and I’ve no issue with our players pushing and pulling and trying to mix it, none at all.

He looks a project does JCH. If he didn’t have flaws, he wouldn’t be with us. If LJ can manage him correctly, then who knows how quickly he could develop, he has all the right raw attributes though. Properly controlled, a bit of nasty side is a bonus rather than a flaw though IMO

Totally agree mate, think this lad will score a lot of goals and make us a lot of money if we can manage his temperament. Another plus its not often you screw Barry Fry, you also have to give Peterborough credit they keep coming up with gems all the time.

Very impressive cameo yesterday.

1st time i've seen him play in the flesh, as I had to watch the Dinamo game on the internet. Saw him win the penalty in that one.

Saw yesterday he won 3 fouls, all in good attacking positions, by drawing in the defends; and then being quick enough to nip the ball away before the chsallenge.

He'll win us a lot of fouls like that this season.

He looks a find on that showing.

LJ has a dilema for next saturday, but i'd suggest he's got it about right for now - unleash him from the bench and let him do his thing against tired defenders.

He looks a real prospect though.

1st time i've seen him play in the flesh, as I had to watch the Dinamo game on the internet. Saw him win the penalty in that one.

Saw yesterday he won 3 fouls, all in good attacking positions, by drawing in the defends; and then being quick enough to nip the ball away before the chsallenge.

LJ has a dilema for next saturday, but i'd suggest he's got it about right for now - unleash him from the bench and let him do his thing against tired defenders.

Can't argue with this.

I'd start him ahead of McDonald though.

There's a list of young Latics players as long as my arm that were going to be this and going to be that. Often we have thrown them into a poor side and ruined them before they've been given time to develop and flourish.

As BP1960 is well aware there is far more than raw talent involved in the production of top class footballer. There is no doubt JCH is a talent, but he's 19, give the lad a chance before we "build the team around him" like people we calling for during the summer after Brooke scored a goal against Wallsall.

I thought it was big Joe who bigged Ryan up, all I saw was an ordinary player.

Also in general we've won a few penalties in Pre-season also to which is a plus.

There's a list of young Latics players as long as my arm that were going to be this and going to be that. Often we have thrown them into a poor side and ruined them before they've been given time to develop and flourish.

As BP1960 is well aware there is far more than raw talent involved in the production of top class footballer. There is no doubt JCH is a talent, but he's 19, give the lad a chance before we "build the team around him" like people we calling for during the summer after Brooke scored a goal against Wallsall.

I thought it was big Joe who bigged Ryan up, all I saw was an ordinary player.

Didn't JR say that he was the best natural finisher at the club at the time indicating he had a lot of potential, rather than saying he was great?

You can't argue that we've got the best range of attacking talent in a long, long while.

I'm really looking forward to the first ball kicked in anger next Saturday.

I still question people's assessment of our defence suggesting we'll concede loads of goals. Even if we do concede the odd one or two each match, confident that up front we have strength and depth to compensate to snatch wins and draws.

With goals in the team do you honestly think well be languishing in the lower half of the table?

Dark horses for me....

You can't argue that we've got the best range of attacking talent in a long, long while.

I'm really looking forward to the first ball kicked in anger next Saturday.

I still question people's assessment of our defence suggesting we'll concede loads of goals. Even if we do concede the odd one or two each match, confident that up front we have strength and depth to compensate to snatch wins and draws.

With goals in the team do you honestly think well be languishing in the lower half of the table?

Dark horses for me....

No team gets promoted with a terrible defence. If we're confident we have the best attacking line up in years why don't we chuck a bit more at it and get two solid centre halves and a good left back in. We ain't getting promoted with James Tarkowski as our lead centre back and Connor Brown as our first choice full back, that's for sure. Edited by PlayItLivo

No team gets promoted with a terrible defence. If we're confident we have the best attacking line up in years why don't we chuck a bit more at it and get two solid centre halves and a good left back in. We ain't getting promoted with James Tarkowski as our lead centre back and Connor Brown as our first choice full back, that's for sure.

Can't argue with that - Fleetwood have signed two good, experienced centre halves in Cresswell and Roberts, would love us to get one of that ilk.

Not sure we're quite as well off in midfield as some think either, heard nothing of Dayton and Sidney in the friendlies, Wes misses plenty of games, Mellor never played a full season.

Can't argue with that - Fleetwood have signed two good, experienced centre halves in Cresswell and Roberts, would love us to get one of that ilk.

Not sure we're quite as well off in midfield as some think either, heard nothing of Dayton and Sidney in the friendlies, Wes misses plenty of games, Mellor never played a full season.

After last season's inept displays especially upfront, in where if we conceded 1st the best we could hope for was a draw as there was no way we were scoring twice. LJ has had to blow pretty much the entire budget on changing our forwards and midfield. He probably thinks Tarky is good enough for league 1 and likes Mellor as a ball playing centre back, in which given a run in that position may improve his positional sense and awareness. I'm just hoping for mid table and entertaining football which might just entice some stayaways back. Edited by slider1

Looking at some of the reviews I feel Tony P can't be doing a good with the youth team. Who is the last decent playier to come from the youth team as it appears none of them are rated?

Quite a few of your earlier posts say that Tarkowski should be supported and encouraged in the first team.

Are you saying he's no good now?

No far from it ,I think the Tarkowski and Mellor are more of a football playing partnership than previous pairings and it suits LJ style of play which is attacking and will leave the defence more exposed. As they say you can't have your cake and eat it too.

On topic of our forwards... If Rooney signs, do we have the best forward line in the league?

Rooney

Baxter

Clarke-Harris

McDonald

(Millar)

Montano - on pre season form

Dayton?

Off the top of my head

Wolves - Griffiths, Doyle, Siguardsson, Cassidy

Peterborough - Tomlin, Barnett, Sinclair

Gillingham - McDonald, Akinfenwa, Kedwell

No...

What about the best we've had ourselves in this league?

Beckett, Porter & Hughes were, arguably, better goalscorers than what we've got now but there was only ever one of them with a non-goalscoring forward like Warne or someone similar alongside.

These all look to have goals in them.