My Season Preview

2013/14 A brave new dawn?

As the advent of the new season arrives, I usually err from hopeless pessimism to crazy optimism and usually I am unfounded on either scale as we limp to mid-table boredom.

I’ve felt optimistic ahead of the new season before and as we embark on our 17th consecutive season in League One, I can’t wait. BUT this year it feels a different type of optimism. I was hopeful of a quick return to the second tier under the tutelage of Neil Warnock back in 1997/98, I was chuffed to bits that although we were skint – we would at least play football under Andy Ritchie. Quiet confidence was the name of the game as Brian Talbot’s first year dawned and I thought we were nailed on to challenge, given the squad Ronnie Moore assembled back in 2005.

However, it never quite turns out that way. We’re unbeaten in pre-season and that can sometimes be a false indicator. During the summer of 1999 we were unbeaten during pre-season, including an Isle of Man Tournament win – yet when the real stuff began, we started with five straight defeats and it took us until early September to even score goal. On the other hand we had a poor pre-season in 2002 where goals were hard to come by, yet after an average start blew all before us as we stormed to the top of the table by early October.

So why does my mood feel different this year? It’s simple, the club finally seem to be getting their act together. The new stand construction project is now a matter of when rather than if. The Commercial Department seem to be on a roll, with new partnerships being announced daily. There’s a young, vibrant manager who wants to push on after last season’s near miss. There’s an air of togetherness about the whole place. The team albeit young, are hungry and are eager to please. The manager has assembled a squad high on pace, ability and desire. His backroom team are all of a certain age and offer differing levels of experience but know in no uncertain terms what Johnson wants from them.

So what am I optimistic for? Well, I am optimistic for entertainment, for goals, for excitement. This year boring 0-0s or 1-0 crap home defeats will be a rarity as we look to take the initiative to the opposition. Yes, we could do with a tweak in defence here and there but budgets do dictate and if we have to go with what we have then so be it. The world is our oyster in League One this season, pretty much every ‘respected’ pundit, blog or article has us down as relegation fodder. That in itself should be enough motivation for the lads from minute one. Whilst we look a little light in defence there is the scope to chop and change, the midfield looks incredibly inter-changeable, there are real alternatives out wide and up front we have a stable of strikers that at least four of the five would get into any team in this division. The squad size has surprised me, as for the first time since probably Ian Dowie just came up short and certainly 2005/06 under Ronnie Moore, we have real options throughout the squad. If we are blessed kindly by not receiving injuries to key personnel then League One will be sitting up and taking notice.

On paper League One does look a lot stronger than last year with the relegated teams Wolves and Peterborough likely to be challenging. Bristol City I think will hang around for a couple of years like they usually do. Wolves and Peterborough though seem very confident of an immediate return to the second tier, however a simple retort of Leeds, Forest, Sheffield Wednesday (twice) and as Sheffield United enter their third season at this level the well funded Black countrymen and the upstarts from London Road may well be advised to err against over confidence.

Of the teams that have come up, well Bradford are on the crest of the wave and I expect them to ruffle a few feathers. Port Vale are confident but they have concentrated on keeping the core of their squad together rather than going hell for leather – consolidation will be the name of the game in Burslem. Gillingham with the weapons grade bell-end that is Martin Allen in charge could be a surprise package, they will thrive on hard work and a siege mentality. Cody McDonald playing week in week out will definitely score goals. And of course there is Rotherham with perhaps the most unlikeable turd in football at the helm. The heaving mass of back handing loving blubber that is Steve Evans. They should be ok given that they have money to spend should the bottom four become an issue.

What about the usual suspects? Well Ronnie Moore looks to have recruited steadily, Koumas signing at Tranmere looks an intriguing prospect if he can recapture some of his previous form. I don’t expect them to trouble the top 6 this year though.

As for the other end Colchester, Carlisle, Crewe, Shrewsbury, Walsall and possibly Coventry could be in trouble. Walsall and Shrewsbury over achieved last year and with the former losing perhaps their three most influential players then Dean Smith will have to work miracles in achieving similar feats.

My surprise strugglers are MK Dons, they started to tighten their belts last season and saw an alarming drop in form in the second half of last season. If they start badly they could be in trouble.

As for our chances, as already mentioned we have a good competitive squad that perhaps is only a player or maybe two away from a play off challenge. The division will be competitive, but one or two sides do slip under the radar every year. If injuries, suspensions and keeping Jose Baxter fit are kind, then we could be there or thereabouts going into the second half of the season. Key will be keeping hold of Baxter in January.

My predictions:

Promotion:

Wolves, PNE, Sheffield United

Play Offs:

Brentford, Peterborough, Sheffield United, Bradford

My dark horses for promotion are ourselves and Gillingham. We are 66/1 to win the League with Ladbrokes and the same firm have us at 20s to gain promotion. I have had a fiver on both options.

First Manager to be sacked: Karl Robinson

Top Scorer: Griffiths (Wolves)

Final Table

1 Wolves

2 PNE

3 Brentford

4 Peterborough

5 Sheff United

6 Bradford

--------------------------------------------

7 Bristol City

8 Gillingham

9 Latics

10 Tranmere

11 Notts County

12 Orient

13 Port Vale

14 Rotherham

15 Walsall

16 Stevenage

17 Swindon

18 Coventry

19 Crawley

20 MK Dons

21 Shrewsbury

22 Crewe

23 Carlisle

24 Colchester

No matter what, it is time to pull together, get behind the lads and buy into what Lee Johnson is trying to achieve. If we come up short it won’t be for the want of trying.

See you at Stevenage!

Edited by oafcprozac

I hate mk franchise but can't agree with that prediction, hope I'm wrong and that's the beauty of football, it's all about different opinions

1 posh

2 wolves

3 Bristol city

4 brentford

5 Preston

6 sheff utd

7 Bradford

8 mk mongs

9 Rotherham

10 Crewe

11 latics

12 gills

13 tranmere

14 notts county

15 orient

16 Swindon

17 Carlisle

18 Crawley

19 Shrewsbury

20 Walsall

21 port vale

22 Stevenage

23 Coventry

24 Colchester

There's far too much talk of promotion for my liking. I'll be happy with top half or close to that given that we've been well involved in the relegation battle for the past few seasons.

Also, our defence, as it stands, is not top-half standard, let alone promotion. Attacking options look strong but at the back, aside from the keeper and Grounds, I'm not sure we've got anyone I'd necessarily want playing the full season as first choice. Tarky is still young and I'd like to think he could be rested, should he hit a bad patch; Byrne is a solid defender but is getting on, is very slow and seems to be taking a prominent role on the backroom side of things; Connor Brown is crap; Winchester is talented but is inconsistent and lightweight; and Mellor is no defender from what I've seen and certainly no centre half.

Clearly Johnson is in the market for another centre half. I'm just not convinced that'll be enough.

There's far too much talk of promotion for my liking. I'll be happy with top half or close to that given that we've been well involved in the relegation battle for the past few seasons.

Also, our defence, as it stands, is not top-half standard, let alone promotion. Attacking options look strong but at the back, aside from the keeper and Grounds, I'm not sure we've got anyone I'd necessarily want playing the full season as first choice. Tarky is still young and I'd like to think he could be rested, should he hit a bad patch; Byrne is a solid defender but is getting on, is very slow and seems to be taking a prominent role on the backroom side of things; Connor Brown is crap; Winchester is talented but is inconsistent and lightweight; and Mellor is no defender from what I've seen and certainly no centre half.

Clearly Johnson is in the market for another centre half. I'm just not convinced that'll be enough.

10000000% this...

I'm with you Stevie last season their was talk of promotion push at the start which i thought was ridiculous considering the strength of the squad at that time. I feel the ame this time we've got strength up top but further back we are struggling I get the impression that Brown and possibly Tarky as well could get targeted as potential boo boys which worries me. I don't think the midfield is that strong either if truth be told.

But what keeps me going all these years is that one day my voice of reason is going to be proved wrong and we will exceed all expectations.

10000000% this...

....I know. The common sense outlook is as Stevie J describes it.... But like Prozac, I feel more optimism now that for a while.... Ergo, I'd like the bask in that feeling for a little while longer yet. I hope I still feel the same at 5pm tomorrow. See you at Stevenage!

Think it's because of how dire it was under Dickov. I agree though stevie we are quite a way of promotion, I think the top 6 are quite a but above the others but the rest are 18 around average sides on a level par so it's mid table for me.

We're at least 1 cb if not another defender as well away from being a side who really could compete

We're on the eve of something special ladies and gentlemen. Drink it in, enjoy it and remember back to this day when we first boarded the ride to promotion.

I just have this feeling that this season will be our season.