Starting XI

There seems to be a lot of different opinions on Twitter, OWTB etc about what the team should be. For me it would be:

Oxley

Brown Tarkowski Mellor Grounds

Dayton Rodgers Smith Montano

Baxter

Rooney

Thoughts?

Some of those don't deserve to start like Dayton and Rooney, but options are limited in what is now looking a weak squad.

Edited by BP1960

Some of those don't deserve to start like Dayton and Rooney, but options are limited in what is now looking a weak squad.

You've got to bear in mind that this was the second league game. Dayton played very well against Stevenage and with Rooney, he hasn't been getting any service but agreed today he didn't look match - fit, but he will come good.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing !

Agree with that for pboro though, and obv we need a centre back ASAP .

Yep! Rodgers should start there ahead of Wed after his cameo today. And agreed, ideally we have a CB BUT without doubt Mellor should be ahead of Byrne, Byrne looked awful today, in a playing sense he shouldn't be here at the end of the season.

You've got to bear in mind that this was the second league game. Dayton played very well against Stevenage and with Rooney, he hasn't been getting any service but agreed today he didn't look match - fit, but he will come good.

Why isn't he match fit, he's played in most of the matches ?..the fact he can't be bothered to get his feet off the ground when jumping is the biggest problem.

Edited by BP1960

Why isn't he match fit, he's played in most of the matches ?..the fact he can't be bothered to get his feet off the ground when jumping is the biggest problem.

Not just him I mean the whole squad, no one is completely match - fit yet and everyone knows that it takes like 5 competitive games to get into your stride. And with our budget this is definitely not a weak side.

Looking at the available squad, the GK and defence almost picks itself. If Mellor is fit, he's in.......if not it's Byrne unless a loanee turns up.

The front 6 is a different matter......after yesterday, the only starter, in my opinion, who deserves his shirt in the starting line-up was Korey Smith.

But using who we have, Rodgers has to come in and Baxter has to move up but there lies another question. Do we play Baxter in a front 2 (with MacDonald for me) and keep 2 wingers or behind a front 2 including a very ineffectual Rooney and play 1 winger (Sid would be my choice as he is more pacey, is 2 footed and tries to cross early which could benefit Rooney). I know a lot on here like the idea of 2 wingers but we aren't giving enough to the forwards so it would be the second option for me.

With the current squad then;

Oxley

Brown Tarky Mellor Grounds

Schmeltz Smith Rodgers Montano

Baxter

Rooney

Ideally would have a new RB and new CB with Mellor replacing Rodgers in midfield. I'd even try Wes at RB in training to see whether or not he could do a decent job there...

Yep! Rodgers should start there ahead of Wed after his cameo today. And agreed, ideally we have a CB BUT without doubt Mellor should be ahead of Byrne, Byrne looked awful today, in a playing sense he shouldn't be here at the end of the season.

I'm sure he'll quickly be back to his dependable self after a game or two if Mellor is out

Edited by HarryBosch

But who do you drop?

I don't think Rodgers is a starter just yet.

The Mellor/Smith midfield partnership hasn't been re-introduced, despite it being pretty effective towards the end of last season.

So:

Oxley

Grounds

Tarky

Byrne/Loan CB

Brown

Monty

Mellor

Smith

Dayton

Baxter

Rooney

I don't think Rodgers is a starter just yet.

The Mellor/Smith midfield partnership hasn't been re-introduced, despite it being pretty effective towards the end of last season.

So:

Oxley

Grounds

Tarky

Byrne/Loan CB

Brown

Monty

Mellor

Smith

Dayton

Baxter

Rooney

I reckon Rodgers is more likely a starter in midfield than Mellor is.

Other than that......I've seen Rooney & MacDonald in both Stevenage and Walsall games and for me it has to be MacDonald......I haven't seen anything close to a goal from Rooney YET!!! There is quality there, but it's not coming through.

But who do you drop?

Oxley

Brown New CB Tarkowski Grounds

Smith Mellor

Baxter Montano

Millar

Rooney

Personally, I thought Baxter impressed in short spells on the wing last season, got a good cross on him and can provide to Rooney in the middle. JCH could also be incorporated into that team, Swapping with Rooney or having a switch of the midfield. As LJ said, there is so many combinations.

(Should a new CB not come in, i'd put Byrne in at back)

I like all of our central strikers. JCH, "rough diamond" as LJ says. Power, pace and skills. Bit of a loose cannon.

Rooney is a quality striker given the service, he isn't the "Matt Smith" player we where using him as yesterday though.

MacDonald and Millar I also like, both hard working and like to get behind the defence. Millar is pacier than MacDonald (not saying he is slow however). MacDonald is a far better finisher as well as a lot more experienced obviously.

IMO I think we should try out Rooney (not as fast, can flick it on but shouldn't be overused, great finisher given the chance) with Millar (pacey, can get on the end of over the tops and through balls etc aswell as stretch the defence).

Also, once fit, Clarke-Harris with Charlie Mac. Clark Harris plays Rooneys role above and given his pace and power can also run at defenders, Mac making runs stretching the defence for JCH to run at/JCH, Baxter and the like to feed him and also cooling JCH down when he gets abit hot headed.

Anyone agree?

We can't be thinking about playing Millar in any position IMO.

4-3-3, Rooney as the central striker, take your pick for the two wider strikers, Mellor/Wes and Smith holding, Baxter free-ish role further forward.

I reckon if Mellor is fit, he'll be back in defence......so it's Wes or Rodgers to partner Smith and I get the impression he isn't a big Wes fan.

As for putting Baxter further forward, I reckon he'd play a better "on the deck" passing game with MacDonald.