What we need and have done for ages is a big 6ft plus wrecking ball in centre midfield, would give us some much required presence in that area of the pitch.

Mellor's the closest we've got to that.

He can put his foot in & is hard to knock off the ball.

He looks lightweight at CB but is a big lad at CM. And a footballer.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mellor's the closest we've got to that.

He can put his foot in & is hard to knock off the ball.

He looks lightweight at CB but is a big lad at CM. And a footballer.

He's also not scared to run with the ball, as well as being one of our best passers and having a great shot on him.

Port Vale had a go at us leaving themselves open.

Tranmere didn't. A lot of other visiting teams won't. We need a centre mid who can pick a pass or make a run for these games.

Or any games. They're a good kind of player to have.

Johnson Isn't looking for his middle men to run the game in the way you suggest or maybe would like to see. He wants the ball to go out to wingers etc etc, whether you rate the wingers is another point. Smith an Wes have played in a promotion winning side. Are we saying that smith can't pick a pass or make a run? Or is it simply he or wes weren't asked tactically to do so?

Johnson Isn't looking for his middle men to run the game in the way you suggest or maybe would like to see. He wants the ball to go out to wingers etc etc, whether you rate the wingers is another point. Smith an Wes have played in a promotion winning side. Are we saying that smith can't pick a pass or make a run? Or is it simply he or wes weren't asked tactically to do so?

I'm saying we didn't try once to open them up through the middle yesterday and we should have done

I'm saying we didn't try once to open them up through the middle yesterday and we should have done

I get what your saying Harry. My point is was that the players game management, or where they asked by Johnson not to play through the middle? Smith in particular can do all the things you want. So why didn't he?

I thought we were good value yesterday. We played very well for 70 mins, wes came off, an we lost a bit of our shape, an a mistake has cost us. But I've really enjoyed the last two games. I like the way we set up.

Odd isn't it that Johnson wanted to shoehorn him in at CB but hasn't played him in his best position when we're crying out for him there

I was convinced he'd start the season in midfield for us, he and Smith had formed a good partnership at the end of last season and LJ talked Mellor up as being a key player this year.

We're only 5 games in though, I've got faith LJ will change things if they're not working.

I get what your saying Harry. My point is was that the players game management, or where they asked by Johnson not to play through the middle? Smith in particular can do all the things you want. So why didn't he?

I thought we were good value yesterday. We played very well for 70 mins, wes came off, an we lost a bit of our shape, an a mistake has cost us. But I've really enjoyed the last two games. I like the way we set up.

"Game management"? Edited by HarryBosch

LJ explains his selections/substitutions in the Chron:

...Cliff Byrne was fit but not selected at the weekend, explained his reasoning for starting with Sidney Schmeltz as opposed to Montano. "He (Montano) didn’t train (on Friday) with a bit of a dead leg and Sidney had been doing very well anyway. One of my rules is that you have to train on the Friday to play as we do a lot of work on organisation. He wasn’t quite moving freely when he came on for James Dayton who had a bit of cramp. I was going to stick Danny Philliskirk on up front and switch it around into a diamond with Albert (Rusnak) in behind, but we couldn’t do that with Dayts coming off.”

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/82165/its-ref-justice-for-latics

LJ explains his selections/substitutions in the Chron:

...Cliff Byrne was fit but not selected at the weekend, explained his reasoning for starting with Sidney Schmeltz as opposed to Montano. "He (Montano) didn’t train (on Friday) with a bit of a dead leg and Sidney had been doing very well anyway. One of my rules is that you have to train on the Friday to play as we do a lot of work on organisation. He wasn’t quite moving freely when he came on for James Dayton who had a bit of cramp. I was going to stick Danny Philliskirk on up front and switch it around into a diamond with Albert (Rusnak) in behind, but we couldn’t do that with Dayts coming off.”

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/82165/its-ref-justice-for-latics

There seems a lot of dead legs at the club (MacDonald and Montano injuries I mean of course).