Captain Fantastic and his midfield sidekick

Because everyone generally realises what a talented player Korey Smith is, his skills often get overlooked, but last night he was everything key about our dominance in possession and keeping them penned back in their end of the pitch. He kept the ball all night, wanted it every time someone had it, and looked to exploit gaps with his passing and running on the ball. And everytime it panned to him on Sky he was talking, shouting and marshalling people showing his leadership. His ball retention is unbelievable, and if anyone in our squad is worth £2million its him.

Signing of the summer, and I would easily put it up there with baxter signing a 2.5year deal as the best signing we have pulled off in recent times.

I am very vocally critical about Wesolowki as I think he is yard dog, but last night he looked alright except giving away the needless peno, but for me we need someone alongside Smith who picks up 2nd balls on the edge of the opposition box. Dayton did it at times, but he should be wider then he was last night in a realistic world. However chuck Mellor in alongside Smith and I think he could be the man (given his new fitness levels apparently) to help us deliver a bit better in the final 3rd and pick up any scraps which Preston were 'hoofing' away for 90 minutes.

Smith was outstanding, better than Tarky even, in my opinion. He's a class player, too good for this level. He copes very well under pressure, makes space for himself and chooses the right pass consistently.

Wesolowski is under-appreciated, in my book. He does the job he's there to do: break up the opposition's possession and then play it simple. Yes, he gave away a stupid penalty (whether you think it was or it wasn't, that challenge was an invitation to Davies to throw himself to the deck) but, otherwise, there was nothing wrong with Wes's performance last night.

I thought Smith was our best player last night. I love a centre mid who wants the ball all the time. And he's so calm under pressure as well, mainly because his touch is so good.

HarryBosch can swoon over Tarkowski all he wants; I'm nailing my flag to Smith's mast (arf).

Smith was outstanding, better than Tarky even, in my opinion. He's a class player, too good for this level. He copes very well under pressure, makes space for himself and chooses the right pass consistently.

Wesolowski is under-appreciated, in my book. He does the job he's there to do: break up the opposition's possession and then play it simple. Yes, he gave away a stupid penalty (whether you think it was or it wasn't, that challenge was an invitation to Davies to throw himself to the deck) but, otherwise, there was nothing wrong with Wes's performance last night.

Agreed last night he was much better than what I have seen of him in the last few appearances I have seen him play (he still looked one of our worse players). He is alright at the breaking up of play but his passing and composure on the ball I often find lacking, but Smith also breaks up play aswell as distributing well. We need someone in the attacking third as I'm not 100% sure the defence needed much protection last night. Someone to bomb into the box, pick up scraps in the front 40 yards. Tomlin at Peterborough is a great example of this.

I thought Smith was our best player last night. I love a centre mid who wants the ball all the time. And he's so calm under pressure as well, mainly because his touch is so good.

HarryBosch can swoon over Tarkowski all he wants; I'm nailing my flag to Smith's mast (arf).

He's just a rich mans Mark Allott :grin:

Smith is definitely one of the best signing of recent times, up there with Baxter definitely. And I love that he's our captain, I'd imagine it will be hard to keep hold of him but lets hope we do! I think that Mellor should be put in alongside Smith but Wes used for the overly physical games, beauty of having a strong squad.

I think if we partner Smith with a more attacking midfield player we're inviting pressure. We've got such forward thinking wide men - including the full backs; just look at Mills last night, he was hardly ever in our half - that we'd over commit when going forward. I'm happy with Smith and Wes/Mellor in midfield, allowing everyone around them to throw themselves forward.

I think if we partner Smith with a more attacking midfield player we're inviting pressure. We've got such forward thinking wide men - including the full backs; just look at Mills last night, he was hardly ever in our half - that we'd over commit when going forward. I'm happy with Smith and Wes/Mellor in midfield, allowing everyone around them to throw themselves forward.

If you noticed, when Mills did bomb forward, one of Smith or Wes filled his gap. All well except the other never got up to help the attack, they just sat in front of the defense. When Mills didnt go forward, both sat infront of the defense. We missed an attacking mid

Spot on.

If you noticed, when Mills did bomb forward, one of Smith or Wes filled his gap. All well except the other never got up to help the attack, they just sat in front of the defense. When Mills didnt go forward, both sat infront of the defense. We missed an attacking mid

I'm happy with this though. When we're committing to attack like we were last night its sensible to make sure you've got cover for the counter attack. We weren't exactly struggling to create. Only when chasing the game would I sacrifice that and bring a more attack minded midfielder on.

Edited by LaticsChris

I rate Wes, he is better going forward than some give him credit for and momentary lapses aside, like last nights challenge, which was daft, he is very good defensively too. Although he is far from the biggest he wins a good number of headers too.

That being said, I'd probably still pick Mellor to play alongside Korey, as he adds that little bit of extra quality going forward with his better passing and the ability to unlock defences, without losing much, if anything, defensively.

One thing I would say is that although I rated Youseff and thought he was used improperly by Dickov, our squad depth, especially the bench as opposed to the whole squad looks considerably stronger this season than last. That combined with a reduced budget is testament to LDJ's ability.

Edited by rudemedic

I think he suffered more than most under the later dreadfulness under pd.

I've always thought it was furman who struggled... Because furman was suppose to be the 'creator' and wes the 'stopper' but both of them seemed to just defend meaning wes wasnt standing out as much, if furman had stuck to his job wes would of done his perfectly fine as usual!

I've always thought it was furman who struggled... Because furman was suppose to be the 'creator' and wes the 'stopper' but both of them seemed to just defend meaning wes wasnt standing out as much, if furman had stuck to his job wes would of done his perfectly fine as usual!

that's about what i meant! Wes did get forward and play a bit too when German followed back but they were both screwed when they took to holding hands on the 18 yard line

that's about what i meant! Wes did get forward and play a bit too when German followed back but they were both screwed when they took to holding hands on the 18 yard line

yeye exactly, when they both played their own roles it worked brilliantly.. when they didnt we didn't tick as a team at all!

Wesolowski was nothing special last night. Ignore he fact he gifted them a goal via the penalty I can't recall any pass by Wes that went forward and would much prefer the likes of Mellor.

Personally thinking; our team has now passed Wes by and we need to replace with an existing player or sell him off in return for another player coming in

Wesolowski was nothing special last night. Ignore he fact he gifted them a goal via the penalty I can't recall any pass by Wes that went forward and would much prefer the likes of Mellor.

Personally thinking; our team has now passed Wes by and we need to replace with an existing player or sell him off in return for another player coming in

My mate suggested Rodgers should have started. I think Mellor's the one who has the killer pass in him. Wouldn't be surprised to see Mellor start on Saturday if fit.