Name a legend

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By winning games and playing good football over a sustained period of time. Sadly the players in last twenty years rarely achieved that and when they did the crowds improved. However the last comment re Groves makes you sound a bit silly and bet you arent really. Very few recent players have contributed enough to get on any list.

Why does it sound silly? I as a Latics fan of 18+ years have only seen a certain amount of players. Players just before that time (and who were just leaving the club at the time) were instilled into my brain by people talking about them and songs hanging on, Ritchie/Henry/Palmer/Halle/Holden/Wright. IMO thats what makes them 'legends' as fans were that fond of them that they are still to this day sung about on the terrace/plastic seats. Ive never heard anyone sing about Alan Groves, nor have I ever seen anything about his playing style. I couldn't even tell you what his position was. In my mind I couldnt care less about his contribution to this club, as his involvement has never had a direct effect on me. Thats my personal view, to me he isnt a hero or a legend. And I would hazard a guess that roughly 30-40% of Latics fans at the next home game will be similar to myself in that they think 'Alan who?'. When the stand gets built and we name these legends on the side, this figure will be even higher hopefully as more young fans will be there.

I'd have picked John Sheridan (think I made that pretty clear earlier in the thread) however, if 35-40 years after a guy has played for us there are enough people who hold him in such high regard that they still see him as one of the all time legends, then I think it speaks volumes about the player.

Why does it sound silly? I as a Latics fan of 18+ years have only seen a certain amount of players. Players just before that time (and who were just leaving the club at the time) were instilled into my brain by people talking about them and songs hanging on, Ritchie/Henry/Palmer/Halle/Holden/Wright. IMO thats what makes them 'legends' as fans were that fond of them that they are still to this day sung about on the terrace/plastic seats. Ive never heard anyone sing about Alan Groves, nor have I ever seen anything about his playing style. I couldn't even tell you what his position was. In my mind I couldnt care less about his contribution to this club, as his involvement has never had a direct effect on me. Thats my personal view, to me he isnt a hero or a legend. And I would hazard a guess that roughly 30-40% of Latics fans at the next home game will be similar to myself in that they think 'Alan who?'. When the stand gets built and we name these legends on the side, this figure will be even higher hopefully as more young fans will be there.

What tosh. Just because you haven't heard anyone sing about them means nothing. If you apply your theory then club legends would only be people you've seen. Hence not 'club' legends by definition.

I think this whole argument shows us why a legends list will always evolve.

The fewer voting fans who actually remember seeing a player in action, the greater that player's contribution to the club needs to have been.

I wonder how many of the 1989-91 squad will still be seen as legends in another generation or so even though they're our most successful team of the modern age. Ritchie yes. Who else, honestly?

Edited by garcon

The fewer voting fans who actually remember seeing a player in action, the greater that player's contribution to the club needs to have been.

I wonder how many of the 1989-91 squad will still be seen as legends in another generation or so even though they're our most successful team of the modern age. Ritchie yes. Who else, honestly?

Palmer?

Yes, but I think of him more as being a legend of the late 80s. He was in his twlight by the glory years.

Since when is legend status defined by time? You are either a legend or you are not

Barrett was gone mid way through our second year in the top division but he was captain when promoted, scored our first goal in division 1 in 68 years and was capped by England while with us, he is also our record sell.

Redfearn had 2 years with us but one kick of a ball makes him more of a legend than any one player that has turned out in league 1 for us including Eyeres

By what paramiters are we defining legends?

Edited by palmer1

I really don't get this.

I never saw him either but part if my "rite of passage" as a kid when I started really getting into Latics, & since, was listening, riveted, to tales of him and others from the 70's & before (Maurice Whittle & Bobby Johnstone were the other main ones). I still love nothing more than hearing about them now, I'm 38. (shut it maddog).

The tellings were so vivid they brought them to life and I almost feel like I did see them.

And they still sounded amazing despite me being lucky enough to be watching Ritchie, Palmer etc week in, week out at the time.

Without the history & folklore that surrounds not just Oldham but football in general how many of us would still give a :censored: now?

The antiseptic modern game and it's "product on the pitch"' "match day experience" "footb'ller" bollocks is taking us further and further away from better, halcyon days and I'm hellbent on clinging onto them for dear life.

Palmer, Holden, Barlow, Barrett, Redfearn, Milligan, Irwin, Marshall.

Henry and Bunn almost certainly. Plus Adams and Hallworth are very good shouts.

The way the league cup has progressed and modern football as well, Frankie Bunn's 6 goals in the League Cup may well still be the record when most of us are no longer with us. Furthermore I don't think anyone has scored that many in one game in English professional football since.

IIRC Henry was the last one of that squad to leave too, which combined with his penchant for spectacular goals makes him IMHO an Oldham legend.

Since when is legend status defined by time? You are either a legend or you are not.

Keep your hair on, I'm merely saying Palmer is a legend for what he achieved over his entire Oldham career - most of which was before 89.

As for parameters, there aren't any. That's the whole point. It's entirely subjective. There is no equation to calculate who should and shouldn't be a legend.

Yes but in a generation or two's time, you'll just be the old gimmer that Leeslover mentioned. You'll say Barlow and all the kids'll say WHO?? Exactly the same as the kids now who don't know who Alan Groves is.

Yes but in a generation or two's time, you'll just be the old gimmer that Leeslover mentioned. You'll say Barlow and all the kids'll say WHO?? Exactly the same as the kids now who don't know who Alan Groves is.

Sort of the point i was trying to make earlier. When Tarky is England and AC Milan captain i will be pushing for Shez as a legend

Well put Harry. To say people got excited when "Maurice" was stood over a free kick makes sense but when you can remember people getting excited because he had tossed his shin pads and rolled down his socks it sounds daft but it meant he was getting down to business and the next few minutes would be interesting with his charging runs. If he didnt get the ball he got the man. Rodger Wylde vastly underated player and a turning point for Latics. Bryceland, Garwood, Dowd, Fryatt, Shaw, McVitie, Ward, Quinn, Heaton, should all mean something to anyone calling themselves a Latics fan even if you never saw them play.

I could not give a care about the Premiership and the multi millionaire tossers that float about or the wanabees who con us like Simpson without turning up regularly. Latics for me is my football heritage and still have some compassion for a Bury or Stockport as they to are proper football clubs with fans who follow for the right reasons (even if those two are crap).

Our away following is a joy (wish I got to more games) and something to celebrate.

I really don't get this.

I never saw him either but part if my "rite of passage" as a kid when I started really getting into Latics, & since, was listening, riveted, to tales of him and others from the 70's & before (Maurice Whittle & Bobby Johnstone were the other main ones). I still love nothing more than hearing about them now, I'm 38. (shut it maddog).

The tellings were so vivid they brought them to life and I almost feel like I did see them.

And they still sounded amazing despite me being lucky enough to be watching Ritchie, Palmer etc week in, week out at the time.

Without the history & folklore that surrounds not just Oldham but football in general how many of us would still give a :censored: now?

The antiseptic modern game and it's "product on the pitch"' "match day experience" "footb'ller" bollocks is taking us further and further away from better, halcyon days and I'm hellbent on clinging onto them for dear life.

#AMF