Johnstone's Paints Trophy - disband it or keep it?

JPT   

100 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the JPT continue or be disbanded?

• Disband it
    • Keep it

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have 2 chances - Play offs & JPT trophy. At our level and our current ability, that is it.

FA Cup & League Cup - Forget both, these are at best payday games where we might get a draw with a top side, or more likely we'll get a crappier side and go out at the first hurdle. We must never ever plan on seasons like last year or 89-90.

Bradford got to the League Cup Final from the league below us last season.

As for it being our only chance of many fans seeing us at Wembley - I think I'd feel differently if we got to a playoff final first.

Our first time at Wembley since the last FA Cup Semi being the JPT Final would probably depress me greatly.

Bradford got to the League Cup Final from the league below us last season.

As for it being our only chance of many fans seeing us at Wembley - I think I'd feel differently if we got to a playoff final first.

Our first time at Wembley since the last FA Cup Semi being the JPT Final would probably depress me greatly.

And who is the last 4th division team to get to a League Cup final...Rochdale I think, in 1962. God, I hate Rochdale. So every 50 years we might have a chance at Wembley? I'd take 50 JPT final wins over those odds.

I went to Maine Road & Wembley in 1990 & Maine Rod & Wembley in 1994. I'd be proud to see Latics play there again regardless of the competition. Wembley should be the pinnacle for any footballer & fan.

And who is the last 4th division team to get to a League Cup final...Rochdale I think, in 1962. God, I hate Rochdale. So every 50 years we might have a chance at Wembley? I'd take 50 JPT final wins over those odds.

I went to Maine Road & Wembley in 1990 & Maine Rod & Wembley in 1994. I'd be proud to see Latics play there again regardless of the competition. Wembley should be the pinnacle for any footballer & fan.

Bradford last season... But agree the competition should be kept

I think while it exists, we might as well try and win it.

On Talksport, while discussing the pressures on players being asked to potentially turn-out Thursday, Sunday, Tuesday because of the Europa League, Perry Groves said players would rather play games than have the monotony of training. Along with the other pros, it seems like another good enough reason for keeping this competition too.

I hate the minimum players rule as well, but without it it would be a real farce with fans paying out to see a team of their 16 year olds getting destroyed by someone else's full strength team. Not many would be back next year after that

I like to see this rule brought into both the FA cup and League cup also. If clubs fail to abide it delete them league points.

I'll keep it but with slight revamp.

16 groups of 3 playing each other on round robin basis, all vs the local rivals so us with Bury and Rochdale etc.

That does away with the bye system and gives you two guaranteed derbies.

Group winners go through to knockout same as now, north and south.

This would be much better but still pointless if there's no carrot at the end of it.

Wouldn't winning the second most significant trophy in the club's history be carrot enough? I disregard the IOM pre season bash for effect here...

After all even the world cup winners don't automatically qualify for the next tournament these days.

Edited by Dave_Og

16 groups of 3 playing each other on round robin basis, all vs the local rivals so us with Bury and Rochdale etc.

That's how it was in its early days.

Straight knockout is better. And fewer games.

Great idea.

Should be scrapped if it doesn't get a revamp cause it's :censored: and pointless and a Wembley appearance would be empty in both attendance and feeling.

I'd keep it. As long as we stay in it, we have a chance of going on a decent run, which build confidence for the League and the other two cup competitions. You don't have to win that many games to get to Wembley and stand a better chance against League 1 and 2 sides than you do in the third round of the FA Cup or 2nd round of the capital One or whatever it's called now. Games like last season's thrillers against Premiership clubs don't come round that often, so go all out to win this one and we all have a day out at Wembley. There'd be a bloody sight more than 4,000 of us there and the dosh wouldn't half come in handy.

Lets get something straight, we are talking about a cup which we can participate in, potentially go to Wembley and win, Vs two other competitions that we can only participate in realistically speaking.

At least we have actually competed in the JPT which is more than we can say for the league cup in the last decade.

Kill it with fire and then nuke it from space. Pointless, horrendous and an absolute complete waste of time. There are 2 cup competitions that we are automatically entered into we don't need a third, the line that "it gives us :censored: teams a chance of Wembley" doesn't wash with me, we have 3 chances of Wembley as it is, if we want to play there then we need to be better and do it in a proper cup or play-offs.

The rule that so many players from your previous games have to play is an abomination, no competition should dictate which players get a game. All this competition does is create injuries, bookings and cold toes.

Get rid.

Realistically we have one chance of Wembley.

A compulsory competition where the majority of games are loss-making for the clubs involved.

Hmmm. I can see how away games (like all away games) could be loss making, but even a small home gate would add some funds to the clubs bank balance. I can't see the match officials fees and the cost of two-point-five stewards taking all the revenue. Preston will be aiming to cover the costs of hosting the game, but with it just being a fiver more people are interested.

If latics were to win said tie, that creates a better atmosphere among the fans and a higher rate of repeat custom. God forbid if they play entertaining football and win 6-0.

All of a sudden a breakeven gate can seem positive.

Edit: I love watching latics at every given opportunity. JPT, League cup, FA Cup or league. I don't care, Christ make a fourth cup competition just for our division. I really don't care. Latics for me is a release and something I massively enjoy, regardless of losing to Carlisle in a penalty shoutout after a 0-0...

Edited by blueatheart

Why oppose a competition that gives the opportunity to see Latics walk out at Wembley and potentially lift a trophy?

There was a real buzz against Chesterfield and a real disappointment when we lost. I don't understand the mentality that would want to see Latics lose, it happens enough.

Why oppose a competition that gives the opportunity to see Latics walk out at Wembley and potentially lift a trophy?

There was a real buzz against Chesterfield and a real disappointment when we lost. I don't understand the mentality that would want to see Latics lose, it happens enough.

Here we go, straw man o'clock.