Don't understand why you need an older head as assistant.....if that's the case why not just have an older head as manager?

In this case I feel the young manager is taking on too much upon himself, running before he can walk, he needs an older experienced guiding hand to turn to turn to and relieve the burden.

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok sorry got my maths wrong but told you some muppets would still defend L J. Ok we lost to a strong wolves team but what about the other 11 games? As rafa would say ... 2 points off the drop ....FACT . Noticed nobody who defended LJ wanted to buy the bet off me . lol

OK, so some of us are 'muppet's' supporting LJ. And you and a few others are the ones with all the answers? Are you keeping Chong, Abdul and Branson swooping into town in a Brinks Mat helicopter under your hat? Ferguson, assisted by Scholes as manager is imminent, is it?

I have seen most of our games this season, including at Peterborough, Preston and Wolves and last night(IMO) was the first time we deserved and got nothing. Their number 10, Sako gave the second best footballing display I have seen this season, Tarky at Preston being the best. The two goals last night were a result of two impressive runs by him resulting in aggressively whipped in balls that Oxley and Grounds failed to control in atrocious conditions, forced errors if you will.

We competed reasonably well in general but never really created anything. I too was surprised by our squad but as long as I, you, or anyone else has a hole in their bottoms we will never know what result 'our' tactics would have delivered. LJ will be the one to learn from it, and make no mistake that is what he is doing, 'learning'.

For the time being the 'muppet's' will continue to support while the 'knowledgable ones' prepare to make a 'BIG' announcement sometime very soon.

That's my opinion anyway - without insulting anyone.

I've only seen a couple of games this season so I feel I can't comment as well as others. But the issue with our club for the past 5 seasons now is the amount of incomings and outgoings each year. This season I felt we made a little progress in terms of the permanent signings made, with not too much reliance on loanees but it is time LJ started fielding a more settled side. Below us I feel there are two sides in a false position; Sheffield United and Bristol City. Both have much bigger resources than us and I would expect both to start stringing results together. It's not time to overly worry just yet but definitely a concern and a pressing need to grind out some results quick.

lee clearly setup last night in an effort to grind out the result. But the problem with this was as soon as you go a goal down we're :censored:ed, which is what the case was with Penney. I'd much prefer to see an attacking approach - our natural game with these players. We'll lose a fair amount by being picked off by wily opposition but we'll give a few teams a pasting which more importantly gets fans on your side.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

I've only seen a couple of games this season so I feel I can't comment as well as others. But the issue with our club for the past 5 seasons now is the amount of incomings and outgoings each year. This season I felt we made a little progress in terms of the permanent signings made, with not too much reliance on loanees but it is time LJ started fielding a more settled side. Below us I feel there are two sides in a false position; Sheffield United and Bristol City. Both have much bigger resources than us and I would expect both to start stringing results together. It's not time to overly worry just yet but definitely a concern and a pressing need to grind out some results quick.

lee clearly setup last night in an effort to grind out the result. But the problem with this was as soon as you go a goal down we're :censored:ed, which is what the case was with Penney. I'd much prefer to see an attacking approach - our natural game with these players. We'll lose a fair amount by being picked off by wily opposition but we'll give a few teams a pasting which more importantly gets fans on your side.

I've been thinking along the same lines. We're twelve games in and, although it's still early days, we are flirting with the relegation zone. Sheff Utd and Bristol City are not likely to stay down there. You look at the twelve league results so far and there aren't really any where Latics have taken more than you might reasonably expect, with the possible exception of Stevenage on the opening day. That said, I still think the team has results in them, providing that Johnson sticks with the style of play we saw in the Preston game. It worries me that he abandoned that last night.

As soon as I saw Johnson's starting line-up for last night's game, I thought he'd got it wrong. I don't think a relatively inexperienced Winchester should have been thrown in for an away game at one of the strongest sides in the division and to play three defensive midfield players is extremely negative - Penney'esque, as you say. Nor do I think Philliskirk is the type of player who can play up front on his own. If that's the approach LJ wanted to take, I would suggest that Rooney would be better suited to that role, especially given that his form has improved in the last few games.

LJ is making mistakes, and that's to be expected from someone so inexperienced, but how he learns from them will be the making of him as a manager. I'm amazed that so many people seem to think he wouldn't benefit from an experienced assistant. It never hurts to have someone around who been around the block, can offer an alternative opinion and the benefit of their experience. I suspect such a figure isn't in the budget though.

The way we lost was a disgrace though. I'm a big LJ fan, but he takes sole responsibility for that defeat last night...

I can see the logic of LJ's plans, although the personnel selected for the tactics were debatable.

Wolves have got to where they are with a strong defence, and a class attack - but their midfield is fairly average. Maybe this is what LJ was looking to target, but we'd have done this playing a 4-4-2, pressing and closing down quickly for second balls in the middle!

But - despite me also being a big LJ fan too - I can see how us fans find it hard to stomach when "working" is deemed one shot on target in the whole first half.

If Montano had stuck his header on target when unmarked from a corner, who knows.

But you need to score goals to win matches. And if you don't, any mistake then is costly.

Agree with Prozac that half-time was an issue. We should have changed formation then.

Must admit I felt a bit short-changed, and I was shocked to feel that way. I pay to watch my team try to play good football and have a go, not to park the bus - and we haven't being doing under LJ.

But the extra thing is - was there sufficient reason to park the bus...

The teams that have caused Wolves problems this season are those that have pressed high and had a go. Notts County and Walsall didn't look at the value at one player on their bench and go, 'what do we expect, we're a mediocre club, so let's play for a draw'.

We showed at Preston - second time around and, on another day, would have done first time around - that we cause a stir when we play our best under LJ's passing style.

It didn't seem possible to set up that way last night and expect the players not to show too much respect. Contrast last night with the very aggressive set-up at Stevenage, where the team sheet lifted the fans and seemingly the players. Many thought we might have gone defensive, even 4-5-1, there.

Sadly, last night was arguably a bit Dickov-esque. Sorry to bring up that cliche, but maybe that's why it's riled the fans so much.

After winning the fans support with the refreshing attacking style of play shown at Preston LJ could soon feel their wrath if adopting the game plan employed at Wolves again.

I for one hate to see 'parking the bus' tactics' we have had enough of that in the past with others managers.

He talked about no fear, yet his line up had a 'frightened of the opposition' look about it and once a goal down we all knew the outcome.

For goodness sake Wolves are in the same league, and not world beaters, have a go at them and any team away from home, they don't like it up em.

After winning the fans support with the refreshing attacking style of play shown at Preston LJ could soon feel their wrath if adopting the game plan employed at Wolves again.

I for one hate to see 'parking the bus' tactics' we have had enough of that in the past with others managers.

He talked about no fear, yet his line up had a 'frightened of the opposition' look about it and once a goal down we all knew the outcome.

For goodness sake Wolves are in the same league, and not world beaters, have a go at them and any team away from home, they don't like it up em.

Sorry, but to have a chance in some games you have to play the unattractive style. Face it. It was 1 game, 1 game out of 12. The rest we've been a joy to watch.

Sorry, but to have a chance in some games you have to play the unattractive style. Face it. It was 1 game, 1 game out of 12. The rest we've been a joy to watch.

IMO no games have to be played in an unattractive style, Latics took on the might of Liverpool in a positive manner - a game we would surely have lost if parking the bus.

none of us are the manager and will never find out just why LJ played the team he did... but the two things that grabbed my attention when i read the team sheet a few minutes before kick off, was

1. Winchester playing in midfield against a big physical team away from home, first start of the season and

2. Philliskirk playin up top on his own, i knew that wouldn't work from the off, he's been playing really well as a 'link up man' and playin off mcdonald/rooney - so why change it?

for me they were the two key factors in the loss, an the fact they were a good side.. but wasnt pleased with tactics or performance at all last night (but as we should, we should be getting behind LJ and not slagging him as soon as he makes a mistake.. he'll learn from that last night)

none of us are the manager and will never find out just why LJ played the team he did... but the two things that grabbed my attention when i read the team sheet a few minutes before kick off, was

1. Winchester playing in midfield against a big physical team away from home, first start of the season and

2. Philliskirk playin up top on his own, i knew that wouldn't work from the off, he's been playing really well as a 'link up man' and playin off mcdonald/rooney - so why change it?

for me they were the two key factors in the loss, an the fact they were a good side.. but wasnt pleased with tactics or performance at all last night (but as we should, we should be getting behind LJ and not slagging him as soon as he makes a mistake.. he'll learn from that last night)

Will he learn from last night?.. he seems to be happy with the tactics he employed.

Will he learn from last night?.. he seems to be happy with the tactics he employed.

I'll admit I'm already concerned he's falling in to the same traps as Dickov. Two defencive mids, no experienced assistant etc in fact the one major thing he hasn't done that Dickov did, playing the same 11, people are screaming out for him to do it.

I hope he learns from these mistakes but all the training courses in the world can't teach you experience, it's vital IMO and an experienced assistant would do him the world of good.

Can't help but feel he's traveled Europe, done his badges, watched his dad and is naive enough to think he can do it all himself!

When we went to 4-4-2 we looked just the same. You seem to be implying he should be ashamed or embarrassed for playing in that style. How can you be so certain we would've been better if we had been more attacking? As Matt Chambers said 'Match up man for man and can #oafc win? Very unlikely.'

I'll admit I'm already concerned he's falling in to the same traps as Dickov. Two defencive mids, no experienced assistant etc in fact the one major thing he hasn't done that Dickov did, playing the same 11, people are screaming out for him to do it.

I hope he learns from these mistakes but all the training courses in the world can't teach you experience, it's vital IMO and an experienced assistant would do him the world of good.

Can't help but feel he's traveled Europe, done his badges, watched his dad and is naive enough to think he can do it all himself!

All the badges and training courses in the world can't replicate the real thing, I hope he doesn't take too much on his shoulders.

OK, so some of us are 'muppet's' supporting LJ. And you and a few others are the ones with all the answers? Are you keeping Chong, Abdul and Branson swooping into town in a Brinks Mat helicopter under your hat? Ferguson, assisted by Scholes as manager is imminent, is it?

I have seen most of our games this season, including at Peterborough, Preston and Wolves and last night(IMO) was the first time we deserved and got nothing. Their number 10, Sako gave the second best footballing display I have seen this season, Tarky at Preston being the best. The two goals last night were a result of two impressive runs by him resulting in aggressively whipped in balls that Oxley and Grounds failed to control in atrocious conditions, forced errors if you will.

We competed reasonably well in general but never really created anything. I too was surprised by our squad but as long as I, you, or anyone else has a hole in their bottoms we will never know what result 'our' tactics would have delivered. LJ will be the one to learn from it, and make no mistake that is what he is doing, 'learning'.

For the time being the 'muppet's' will continue to support while the 'knowledgable ones' prepare to make a 'BIG' announcement sometime very soon.

That's my opinion anyway - without insulting anyone.

A well reasoned post, Top stuff!

We are into late October , the leaves are falling and the weather is turning colder. We are roughly a third through the season and its piss poor. L J could certainly talk the talk during the summer but its a little bit harder off paper isn't it L J? 1. Does he know his best team yet.? 2. Why change a winning team ? 3. two points off the drop 4. Different strikers every week no continuity . 5. Badly needs experienced number 2. 6. Does anyone want up buy my £50 handicap bet that I put on during the summer. 20/1 so it's s grand winnings ? Obviously there will still be some muppets that still think it will click !!! Ha ha . Ffs get a experienced number two L J because you clearly out of your depth mate

Given your outlook on the bet, your grasp of fractions and current standings, I'll give you 12.50p for it, subject to the relevant handicap points it is based on.

PS. Do you think that positing an opinion and then including a clear statement that anyone with a different opinion is a muppet is likely to make you or them appear most like a muppet?