That fraud case

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone on this board actually need that reminder?

Bit :censored:ing patronising if you ask me.

The fact we were in the :censored: doesn't excuse the fact that the Trust was still a complete cluster :censored: three :censored:ing years later.

a few rumours about some of the junction money going missing when he and Jenson Button left the pub

he made a statement on Facebook saying this wasnt true etc (fair enough)

wasnt going missing from the junction though was it . . . .

Does anyone on this board actually need that reminder?

Bit :censored:ing patronising if you ask me.

The fact we were in the :censored: doesn't excuse the fact that the Trust was still a complete cluster :censored: three :censored:ing years later.

Regardless of the past or current state of the Trust. It would be a shame to let such an organisation die, especially given the 3%.

Knowing latics fans though, they'll wish it dead, lose the 3% and then lament it in five years time when Corney :censored:s off.

Long term opinion on this for me, it's a necessary evil. It doesn't actually matter who runs it, along as it stays running.

On a simplistic level, i thought this government was trying to cut the number of custodial sentances (cost-cutting dressed up as liberal thinking). Yet here we have someone who, although he undoubtedly deserves to be punshed, is going to prison for at least 8 weeks over a comparatively low level fraud case. How much has it cost to put him up at Her Majesty's pleasure?

It's a bit over the top. That old couple in Salford who held a young deaf and dumb girl as a slave for 10 years got 13 and 5 years. I know they're old, but ffs what they did was obscene beyond belief. i mean, 5 years!!!! I'm not comparing the cases, but pointing out that sometimes sentancing is a little bizzare.

A quick google reveals the average cost of keeping a prisoner inside is £35-40k. So assuming he serves 8 weeks, the cost is approx £5-6k.

Couple of things....

Barry is on holiday and will no doubt reply to remarks made upon his return.

The impact statement IMO didn't lead to any increased statement, it merely highlighted the extent of the damage mike caused to many a cross section of fine.

The trust is a few people, due to people leaving the trust by there own accord and dying we have become less !

The financial mess statement made in court is due to RBS factors out of our hands...

I'm unsure if I can give exact details of the nature of the fraudulent actives that occurred but .... One thing I will mention is Mike was unable to write cheques .... Period !! He wrote 6 to friends, family

and business.... Other details are with the Bank...

I have had a support bad response message from a southern based fan offering help which I will respond to once I can (thanks, I'll not mention who it is in case they don't want me too)

With the new stand and interest in the club The Trust need help in many areas....

I will say it bluntly as in all honestly my energy levels are now low..,,. Put up or shut up !! Go hard or go home !!!

We want people to help!!! If you can spare 2 hrs a month help ! Everyone on the trust wants that ! We have had dribs and drabs of interest over the last year !! There could be exciting times around the corner for the club..... Get involved

Is it even possible to be slightly sensationalist? Surely something is either sensationalist or not sensationalist - and it looks like a fairly straightforward report to me...

You're right JLF however, these are the normal aggravating features that you see in most cases of this nature. There's nothing here that I can see that makes this an exceptional case.

Especially when you consider it to some cases that I have experience of, of individuals doing exactly the same as Mike Nuttall did, forging signatures on cheques, making them payable to themselves, their kids, when in a position of trust (arguably a position to which a lot more trust was attached) to a value over 20 times that what Mike did - and walk away from the Crown Court with a suspended sentence!

In the circumstance Mike was unlucky that he got DJ Qureshi, who is, as a rule, pretty strict, in all cases!

Yes I can see that now, the starting point for a banking fraud (fraudulent from outset/multiple fraud) over £12,500 is only 12 weeks.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Is it even possible to be slightly sensationalist? Surely something is either sensationalist or not sensationalist - and it looks like a fairly straightforward report to me...

I would have said that if he had committed fraud of £2,400+ it would have made more sense to round it up to £2,500. So you could say, it has been played down.

What a terrible mess...

Bravo to the judge. He stood up for all those Latics fans who parted with money in good faith. He stole the fans money, he abused a position of trust. It is hard to shed a tear. Although I will admit that I am surprised he was not let off with community service but I also think its easy to see why the judge felt a custodial punishment was suitable.

I think the concept that this will / has damaged trust in the "The Trust" is a bit far fetched though. People where losing faith in it long before this story broke and I think most of us have the ability to realise that one mans actions shouldn't taint the rest, and rightly so.

Well done to Barry for spotting this and taking action.

Hopefully everyone can move on now.

Edited by oafc0000

I doubt there's insurance.

He might choose to pay the money back himself. He could be pursued through the courts for it, but that doesn't force him to pay money he doesn't have.

If the bank has allowed cheques to go through with an incorrect signatory I'd expect them to stand the loss.

I think the concept that this will / has damaged trust in the "The Trust" is a bit far fetched though.

Not sure I agree with that. As you say, the Trust has been on dodgy ground for a long time with a very significant portion of the club's fanbase (I stopped short of saying the majority but I suspect that would be accurate). As has been said, it would be a terrible shame to lose the 3% shareholding in the club but I struggle to see what the Trust has materially achieved besides that, since its inception. I think this case will only serve to make people question even more what value the Trust has today and whether it's really worthwhile handing over money to the Trust.

Firstly, I wish to say thank you for being so civilised throughout this thread. I know the threat of the thread being closed looms large, but I also detect some genuine compassion.

Earlier in this thread, somebody used the word 'shameful' and that is exactly what this is. I feel deep shame for my actions and I wish, at this stage, to say sorry to the directors of Trust Oldham and to every fan who has ever contributed to, or supported the Trust. As Barry has already said, measures are now in place to stop this ever happening again, so please do not refrain from supporting the Trust in all that they do.

I cannot say anymore at this stage, as I need to report to the probation service for reports and then face sentencing on the 23rd October. Whatever sentence comes my way, I will accept and will also ensure that every penny is returned to the accounts of Trust Oldham. I will write more, at my first available opportunity , after the 23rd October.

I began supporting Oldham Athletic back in 1983, in fact, the thirtieth anniversary of my first visit to Boundary Park has recently passed. Tougher than any sentence that any magistrate could ever hand down to me is the thought that I cannot return to support the team that I continue to love.

Sincere apologies,

Mike Nuttall

I think the concept that this will / has damaged trust in the "The Trust" is a bit far fetched though. People where losing faith in it long before this story broke and I think most of us have the ability to realise that one mans actions shouldn't taint the rest, and rightly so.

The Trust might be able to rebuild peoples faith in it and become bigger/better in the future. However, this issue might make it harder for them to do so, thus it is damaging. As this board often shows, it is easy for people to get the wrong end of the stick.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

All well and good but, to be fair the question was, whether he has to. He may yet be ordered to repay the money under a compensation order.

Also, forgive me if I don't have too much confidence in his pledge.

The more appropriate question might be whether he is in any position to. I'm assuming the money was swallowed up by the pub's debts.

On the subject of the Trust, yes it is all too easy for someone like me to criticise from afar. I was going to get involved a few years ago, but to be honest I couldn't work out how I, or indeed others with a similar intent at the time, could really help. The Trust played a vital role in the club's darkest hour, but it's almost as if it has spent the years since trying to work out what it is for. And the lack of a focussing and uniting crisis has seen the Trust all but tear itself apart over relative trivialities. It certainly seems to have lost any sizeable backing among the fanbase.

There is a handful of people who work many hours trying to do their best and do the right thing, and they must frequently wonder why they bother. I don't blame them at all. They have given what talents they have. And you can really only put it down to bad luck that the Trust recognised they had financial issues, brought someone in specifically to deal with them, and were defrauded by that same person.

I guess it boils down to a few salient points:

- the Trust operated best when it was needed most;

- since then, it doesn't know what it is so struggles to sell itself to the fans;

- if we ever become a "Trust run club", we're going to need to involve some professionals to avoid oblivion.

The more appropriate question might be whether he is in any position to. I'm assuming the money was swallowed up by the pub's debts.

On the subject of the Trust, yes it is all too easy for someone like me to criticise from afar. I was going to get involved a few years ago, but to be honest I couldn't work out how I, or indeed others with a similar intent at the time, could really help. The Trust played a vital role in the club's darkest hour, but it's almost as if it has spent the years since trying to work out what it is for. And the lack of a focussing and uniting crisis has seen the Trust all but tear itself apart over relative trivialities. It certainly seems to have lost any sizeable backing among the fanbase.

There is a handful of people who work many hours trying to do their best and do the right thing, and they must frequently wonder why they bother. I don't blame them at all. They have given what talents they have. And you can really only put it down to bad luck that the Trust recognised they had financial issues, brought someone in specifically to deal with them, and were defrauded by that same person.

I guess it boils down to a few salient points:

- the Trust operated best when it was needed most;

- since then, it doesn't know what it is so struggles to sell itself to the fans;

- if we ever become a "Trust run club", we're going to need to involve some professionals to avoid oblivion.

Couldn't agree more, garcon.

Rick - you say people have left the trust. Is it possible to get an update of who's involved these days now that Mike has left (the trust site is a bit out of date now)?

The question was raised months ago, I wouldn't hold your breath. The Trust in it's current guise, is :censored:ed.