100% a striker and not a right/left winger as he has been used in recent games. Sure when hes played up top hes bagged a decent ratio of goals (barring up on his own at Wolves/hauled off after 30 at Rotherham) Brings others in to play and his touch is superb. Knows where the net is also. Still think Mcdonald should be next to him as hes experienced but JCH & Philliskirk will learn from Mcdonald - and what not to do from Rooney!

From the Chaddy I thought JCH went down like a sack of potatoes for the non-pen and would have been pretty pissed if that had been given against us.

Irrespective, it's nice to have put in a performance which for once made an official's borderline decisions largely insignificant.

I would never be pleased about a player getting an injury, but MacDonald's return coinciding with Rooney's suspected chipped bone in his foot could be the perfect timing. It's one less striker to keep happy.

The question is do we play 3 up-front and drop one of the midfielders, or do we play 2-up top like normal and bench a player who deserves to be playing?

I thought Dayton's and JCH's link-up play with Philliskirk was brilliant, but we've already seen that MacDonald and Philliskirk have worked together well. This is tricky.

He seems like a very savvy player for someone with so few games under his belt. This leads me to believe that his time at Chelsea wasn't completely wasted.

The same can't be said of his time at Coventry, Doncaster and Sheffield United; however, their loss is our gain.

Top performance from Philli. He's not the footballer Baxter was but if he keeps it up he could well prove to be more effective in our team at this level.

Rodgers I thought he had an ok game. Certainly a tidy footballer but I didn't notice him very much in the first half. Only when we had an extra man did he have the space he needed.

He reminds me of Dale Stephens a bit (though not at that level yet).

Youve based that on the 70 minutes last night and the 10 minute cameos hes had at the end of games?

Didn't go last night so no idea how he played, watched enough football to be able to form opinions on players quite quickly though.

People are always moaning about the homegrown lads not getting a chance, no idea why he's messed about trying to make Mellor a centre half given how well he did at the end of last season, and, from what I've seen, if Rodgers is that much of a better option than Gossett and Winchester then there's not much hope for them.