Safe Standing

After a protracted campaign in Parliament, the FA and Football League, safe-standing is in the beginning of the final stage of its introduction, where the representatives speak to the Football League clubs themselves.

Latics have been a vocal advocate of the proposals. Can we expect the club to create a section at BP where it can be built? The back half of the Chaddy End looks a decent area to put it.

What are people's thoughts on where it could be added or if they'd like it to be introduced at BP at all?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with the above regarding Hillsborough.

However, i would argue that the laws implemented after the Hillsborough disaster, in terms of all-seater stadia, have somewhat improved the quality and standard of stadiums. Without them, we may have been stuck with old, crumbling grounds. (Although, BP may be argued to be just that.)

In my opinion, that 20 years has given a period of important change in football across England, in which behaviour at games and safety has largely improved. With this change, it is now apt that we can trial the re-introduction of a version of standing, most probably the rail seating system. Trialing this at various grounds across the country will provide an important step in the process, also having it in a big stadium (Such as Celtic Park, as they have already volunteered should the SFA let them) will be majorly important in Britain.

It works in Germany, so there's no reason it can't work for us!

100% supportive, love standing at grounds.

Bring back standing in one stand only is a great idea. I suspect that the many new safety considerations might mean that the chaddy end would have to be rebuilt to allow it.

Yeh absolutely....the Chaddy End would be the place to have a standing area and would be part of a new build.

There is no way rail seats would be fitted to the Chaddy end as it stands and I think the top half would be seats and the lower portion would be rail seats.

"Build new north stand, pull down main stand, build a single tiered safe standing stand where old main stand was. Happy days"

I'd suggest most of the people in that stand are older (I'm an exception). Most would rather sit.

My dad for example wouldn't want to go back to standing, but feels there should be a place for those that do.

The Chaddy is in my opinion the best place to do it.

"Build new north stand, pull down main stand, build a single tiered safe standing stand where old main stand was. Happy days"

I'd suggest most of the people in that stand are older (I'm an exception). Most would rather sit.

My dad for example wouldn't want to go back to standing, but feels there should be a place for those that do.

The Chaddy is in my opinion the best place to do it.

Sit in the new north stand then? The main stand will be pulled down/closed pretty much straight away after the new one is up and a single tiered stand will only be built there for the reasons with the sun in winter so sticking safe standing in the new one would be the most effective solution without ripping up current seats etc.

I thought I read something recently about there being "no legislative appetite" for this?

You did, but just before that it was announced that a proposition for safe standing to be allowed had won the lucky dip for a private members bill hearing in parliament.

I assume that had a modicum of success from this new announcement.

You did, but just before that it was announced that a proposition for safe standing to be allowed had won the lucky dip for a private members bill hearing in parliament.

I assume that had a modicum of success from this new announcement.

If Mr Tulsehill edits the proceedings, anything is possible. :wink: