Latics Player - no commentary?

Technical hitches aside, I find it annoying that I can't hear commentary from the kick off - I always have to refresh then get commentary two or three minutes in.

Otherwise I am happy enough with it.

The constant cut outs are the annoying, you'd think after a couple of years they would have sorted this problem out.

The constant cut outs are the annoying, you'd think after a couple of years they would have sorted this problem out.

A few in chat complain of it repeatedly cutting out and some can't get in at all but, in all honestly, I don't have any problems. I think it may depend on your download/upload speed, although I'm no IT whizzkid. Some are several seconds behind everyone else (I was until we went on to fibre optic broadband), others are up to the minute.

Maybe someone like Ackey has the answer.

A few in chat complain of it repeatedly cutting out and some can't get in at all but, in all honestly, I don't have any problems. I think it may depend on your download/upload speed, although I'm no IT whizzkid. Some are several seconds behind everyone else (I was until we went on to fibre optic broadband), others are up to the minute.

Maybe someone like Ackey has the answer.

Gordon often apologises for cut outs though.

I'm several years and several hundred miles away these days, so I can't really comment directly.

That said assuming no investment has been made in the equipment being used then it's no shock the quality is poor, as it was outdated back then. Roy and Gordy were doing the best with broken tools and can't be expected to do much more unfortunately.

The quality of sound is very poor and the high lights are a joke.We used to get 20/25 mins, now lucky if it runs to a couple. The facilities offered to the away commentators must always be inferrior to the home facilities, 'cause it's always Roy and Gordy that stop and not the oppo.The visual content of the highlights are often blurred and breaking up. When i complained to player they just fobbed me off. We need lots of complaints to them before it gets better. I have threatened to unsubscribe. It's not the clubs fault but the company that runs player.

Can Latics not pull out of using the Player service? Or is it a mandatory thing for football league teams?

With some good planning and a bit of money invested, it could be properly revived under the Oldham Athletic name, rather than PremiumTV. I don't know how hard it is, but they could deliver so much more i'm sure.

Can Latics not pull out of using the Player service? Or is it a mandatory thing for football league teams?

With some good planning and a bit of money invested, it could be properly revived under the Oldham Athletic name, rather than PremiumTV. I don't know how hard it is, but they could deliver so much more i'm sure.

Probably long term contract.

If there are 500 fans paying £40 a year that's an income of £20,000. I think it would be tough to fund a professional solo service from that.

Probably long term contract.

If there are 500 fans paying £40 a year that's an income of £20,000. I think it would be tough to fund a professional solo service from that.

Yeah that's not a lot at all.

It's all if's and but's, but you could say that a further extended and better service would bring in more customers, however, on the other hand we don't have that many fans to make a sufficient profit from it i'd guess.

I'd be interested to see how many fans have dropped it since about 2009 when it was pretty decent.

Again speaking from outdated insight but the biggest issues I faced with video content was the exceptionally slow internet upload speeds at BP. A video would take hours and hours to upload, to the extent I was just taking it all home and doing it over my sky connection as it was quicker.

Sheffield U also probably have a team of people (some clubs had 5+ people for video alone) where Latics have one or two (or less now?).

Basically it's a case of getting what you pay for and Latics can't afford much better than what we have as there simply isn't the return on investment to justify it.

Sheffield U also probably have a team of people (some clubs had 5+ people for video alone) where Latics have one or two (or less now?).

Basically it's a case of getting what you pay for and Latics can't afford much better than what we have as there simply isn't the return on investment to justify it.

Equipment is another matter entirely, however is it possible that all the clubs have the same tech due to the FL's involvement with club websites? Do clubs have a choice - can they opt-out of FLi? (edit: maybe not due to copyright issues) As for personnel, I've said it once and I've said it again, volunteers - in this day and age, if you want the service - you have to go and make it yourself. I suppose there is nothing stopping people volunteering their IT or media skills to the club to improve the experiences. There are clubs much lower than Oldham who do a better job, for free - thanks to the pulling and pooling together of fan resources and skills. I am aware that there may be some restrictions with selection and recruitment of volunteers...

http://www.thefa.com/my-football/football-volunteers/