Guest Scratch2000uk

Everyone wants better results at home, that is obvious. To be fair LJ does change formations and does try to alter games with substitutions. Perhaps the blend of players isn't quite right in the squad to get the desired change. Lets see after January or more importantly the squad come the start of next season to judge.

To be fair, how football is runs in these lower leagues, Half of the team (the ones who are slightly above average) wont be here. So it will be another team made up team of loanees, short term contracts and journeymen.

To be fair, how football is runs in these lower leagues, Half of the team (the ones who are slightly above average) wont be here. So it will be another team made up team of loanees, short term contracts and journeymen.

What I did like this time around and made a refreshing change to recent times was that we actually signed players for OAFC. With a good few on 2 year deals. Your point is valid thou.

Everyone wants better results at home, that is obvious. To be fair LJ does change formations and does try to alter games with substitutions. Perhaps the blend of players isn't quite right in the squad to get the desired change. Lets see after January or more importantly the squad come the start of next season to judge.

I think we are too negative at home. How often do we attack with pace, or the full backs overlap, or our central midfielders break in to the box. I can remember a couple of times yesterday where JCH/Rooney had to come deep, leaving us with only one man to cross to inside the box.

It's ok away from home, but it's giving teams like Colchester and Shrewsbury easy points at Boundary Park.

If a neutral walked in to that game yesterday at 2-1 down, they could easily have been forgiven for thinking we were winning the game with the tempo/attacking intent we were playing with.

Edited by dec666

Far from me stating I think 1960 opinion is wrong I've asked what is his beef with LJ. From what I gather via his posts from day one of LJ's appointment he had a distinct downer and it's never lightened up. So, I've asked what is the reason. I can't see anything wrong in that.

I have stated many times I have no beef about the manager as a person, the fact is he's continuing with a system for home games which is clearly not working.

I said exactly the same about PD and his two holding midfielders and was shot down then.

I do not want LJ to go the same way as him through a tactic which has proven to be a failure.

The set up for away games is fine, but it must be remembered season ticket holders want to see wins and goals at home otherwise you won't get some of them renewing next season. The fans who pay on the day will also be reluctant to part with £20.

Edited by BP1960

I think we are too negative at home. How often do we attack with pace, or the full backs overlap, or our central midfielders break in to the box. I can remember a couple of times yesterday where JCH/Rooney had to come deep, leaving us with only one man to cross to inside the box.

It's ok away from home, but it's giving teams like Colchester and Shrewsbury easy points at Boundary Park.

If a neutral walked in to that game yesterday at 2-1 down, they could easily have been forgiven for thinking we were winning the game with the tempo/attack intent we were playing with.

Agreed. We need to mix it up more.

I have stated many times I have no beef about the manager as a person, the fact is he's continuing with a system for home games which is clearly not working.

I said exactly the same about PD and his two holding midfielders and was shot down then.

I do not want LJ to go the same way as him through a tactic which has proven to be a failure.

The set up for away games is fine, but it must be remembered season ticket holders want to see wins and goals at home otherwise you won't get some of them renewing next season. The fans who pay on the day will also be reluctant to part with £20.

Maybe LJ wants to change things but doesn't feel he has the players to do so.

This is a big window for him. If he brings 3-4 new players in and we continue to plunder on at home, I'll be worried.

Guest Scratch2000uk

What I did like this time around and made a refreshing change to recent times was that we actually signed players for OAFC. With a good few on 2 year deals. Your point is valid thou.

Indeed i like that too,but will they be here next season though?. All this talk about the squad he will have come next season and giving him time to build his own team is quite frankly, pie in the sky. I really do feel for LJ, he's got us playing some attractive football and he's a very likeable manager. But i do feel that most of his signings and who he keeps will be mostly out of his hands. and will just have to do with who's available.

Edited by Scratch2000uk

If a neutral walked in to that game yesterday at 2-1 down, they could easily have been forgiven for thinking we were winning the game with the tempo/attacking intent we were playing with.

My main problem with how we play at home is that we aren't throwing the kitchen sink at them in the last 15 minutes when we're behind or drawing.

It's usually the opposite. Often less urgency than earlier on in the game.

It should have been utter bedlam being just one goal down to Shrewsbury.

Lets face it Sly, you have your views and I have mine, I think you make some great points all in all. I'm not saying I'm right all the time and my observations are based on home results and the scarcity of goals .

it's true Gardner is still in non league, when fully fit (and due to some unfortunate injuries that's not been often) IMO as a creative player there's none better outside the Championship, however I'm coming to the conclusion he wouldn't fit into the current Latics set up so I'll give you that. At a club like Peterborough he'd be probably be a sensation.

Lee Gregory should fit the bill though as he's the sort of goal poacher the club need.

As for negativity no one has praised the youth team prospects more than myself (check out my post today on Joel Coleman).

Aye BP, if we all agreed on everything all the time, the world would be a bery dull place indeed.

Just noticed a real sea-change in your posts and wanted to know the underlying real reason.

I happen to believe, from what i've seen so far from LJ, and from all the years of watching us at this level, that IMO, you don't need a "creative attacking midfielder" to be successfull.

We have 2 top-draw central midfielders for this level in Smith & Wesolowski already; and again, for this level and for (whether some like this or not) a club of our stature and finances; decent enough back-up in Rodgers, Mellor & Wincester.

Again, this is my opinion; and I'm well aware yours differs, we don't need an outright attacking midfielder. They tend to be non-tracking back, non-defensive minded, non "team" players. They may add a goal from midfield or 2, but at the expense of the side losing shape, form and conceding the midfield battle and ultimately goals too.

A new wide man, a new defender and a new striker are IMO the areas to focus on. Not a new CM for me...

we don't need an outright attacking midfielder. They tend to be non-tracking back, non-defensive minded, non "team" players.

If a good enough player is given licence to stay forward though it can keep the opposition on the back foot, maybe leaving two men on him who would otherwise venture further forward themselves.

To have both options would be great.

A new wide man, a new defender and a new striker are IMO the areas to focus on. Not a new CM for me...

With everyone fit we're ok in every area (yes, I know we're joint 4th bottom).

For me he should just sign the best possible quality available & signable whatever his position.

Aye BP, if we all agreed on everything all the time, the world would be a bery dull place indeed.

Just noticed a real sea-change in your posts and wanted to know the underlying real reason.

I happen to believe, from what i've seen so far from LJ, and from all the years of watching us at this level, that IMO, you don't need a "creative attacking midfielder" to be successfull.

We have 2 top-draw central midfielders for this level in Smith & Wesolowski already; and again, for this level and for (whether some like this or not) a club of our stature and finances; decent enough back-up in Rodgers, Mellor & Wincester.

Again, this is my opinion; and I'm well aware yours differs, we don't need an outright attacking midfielder. They tend to be non-tracking back, non-defensive minded, non "team" players. They may add a goal from midfield or 2, but at the expense of the side losing shape, form and conceding the midfield battle and ultimately goals too.

It's true more could be used of Smith in an attacking sense, he's good enough to play that role, the problem is he's tracking that far back he's often in line with the centre backs at times, and with Wesolowski being naturally a holding midfielder there's been a massive gap between them and the strikers.

I also agree that attacking midfielders can be a luxury, and when caught in possession (Baxter was guilty of this as is Gardner) they can incur the wrath of the manager and the fans,

But what a sight it is to see them creating and scoring spectacular goals. Many older fans will treasure Neil Redfearn for that.

Edited by BP1960

I'm old enough to remember him BP - classy midfielder and my favourite player as a young fan! Had my photo taken with him and Ian Marshall at the Oldham shopping centre one Christmas time - best gift ever!!

Big Joe did swap him around a fair but though; and IIRC (i was a youngster mind!) he played a fair few of his games on the right hand side of midfield?

i also remember Milligan and Henry too. A very Smith & Wes style of central midfield partnership if i do say so!! ;-)

I'm old enough to remember him BP - classy midfielder and my favourite player as a young fan! Had my photo taken with him and Ian Marshall at the Oldham shopping centre one Christmas time - best gift ever!!

Big Joe did swap him around a fair but though; and IIRC (i was a youngster mind!) he played a fair few of his games on the right hand side of midfield?

i also remember Milligan and Henry too. A very Smith & Wes style of central midfield partnership if i do say so!! ;-)

Agreed, Joe didn't always play him in central midfield, but it shows if the yard dogs can cover such a player can be given license and notch a few goals.

I can see Harkins in front of Wes and Smith as looking at his build he's not going to do much tracking back.

Someone has to be left out though and I suspect Petrasso will be going back to QPR.

The 4 years with a broken ankle concerns me a bit though as in this division someone is going to give him a whack.

Edited by BP1960