Gary Harkins

from St Mirren manager Danny Lennon

Things are never guaranteed to work out but Gary was a top bloke and I never had one bit of bother from him. He has fantastic ability and I can understand why he wants to go out on loan and play. the way we are shaped up at the moment we cant guarantee that. he can open doors and create things but we need guys who will be compact and put everything in. I would have liked to have seen him work a little bit harder out of possession. I thought when he came here we could have changed that ever so slightly but it hasn't worked out as well as we'd hoped for.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from St Mirren manager Danny Lennon

If LJ puts him in front of the defensive midfield pair, he won't need to work hard defensively for the team. He seemed reluctant to change things around to fit Baxter in though so we'll have to wait and see.

Can I send you to Halifax to check out Lee Gregory :wink: (don't need Gardner now it looks like a similar player in Harkins is on his way).

BTW lovely first touch for the goal by Harkins.

Gardner signed 18 month contract at Chesterfield (if it's the same one) Now we will see!!

I've seen him play a few times (Gardner), and, with all due respect BP, don't think he'd be good enough to play for us. He's got an eye for a pass and can hit a ball but often tries to do a bit too much with it for my liking and wastes possession when he could have given a simpler pass. Admittedly he works very hard for the team but I think he lacks a little bit of quality to step up into our league and perform consistently well from what I've seen.

Lee Gregory on the other hand would be a terrific signing - great off the ball movement (something I think we lack in our forwards and in our attacks in general), quick, can dribble well and, above all, knows where the goal is.

Time will tell..as you say he has the ability and now needs to work on his general fitness and those aspects of his game you rightly mention..If he does he can go even higher IMO. I am just pleased he's got a chance now at league level.
It has to remembered players can improve and it was said by some when at Rochdale Ricky Lambert wasn't good enough for Division One.

Edited by BP1960

That's true, I reckon L2 is about his level for now but I'm sure if he works on his game he can go higher - last game I watched him was last Saturday and he played a really nice ball through to Gregory (who scored, obviously haha)