Next season's team - what you'd like/what you think.

I didn't say I didn't want to retain him..... I said we should give him another year.. As for a good player Wes has done more than Korey for me this season.

I just cannot believe that comment. I don't mean to be rude Ryan and other fans have stated on here and elsewhere that Wes is our best player but Jesus I really cannot see it ever, even in 1 single match throughout all the season! Perhaps I am wrong, but we will only see the best of Korey once he gets a decent partner!

By the way Sir Gary Harkins is not that partner.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just cannot believe that comment. I don't mean to be rude Ryan and other fans have stated on here and elsewhere that Wes is our best player but Jesus I really cannot see it ever, even in 1 single match throughout all the season! Perhaps I am wrong, but we will only see the best of Korey once he gets a decent partner!

It's an opinions game though what I would ask you to do is when you're next at a game watch them both closely, Wes' performances often go unnoticed, he's a limited player but he's very good at what he does.

I think korey will go . He's got it in him to play championship football with ease . Fair play to him for not kicking up a fuss after we turned a bid down for him . He's just seen tarky double his money in all likelihood, when smiths been the better player IMO . Would be very hard to replace.

I'm not too fussed either way with the ox .

Lockwood impressed me yesterday, probably worth another year ,but predomanantly used as cover .

Grounds will attract interest from higher end league one clubs I imagine. Versatile ,experienced , free agent , hardly misses a game . Wouldn't be surprised if he's off .

Brown not fussed . Improved from last year but I still don't rate him highly .

Kusunga , Wilson - use options for another year

Mellor - unsure

Winchester - another year. Any chance he doesn't play for N.I under 21's every time he looks like nailing down a place would be a bonus.

Millar , belezika - let go . Think Turner is the striker for the coaches to devolp now . Millar has had plenty of chances .

Wes - think we've got a better chance keeping him than grounds . Be a great signing.

Rodgers - think I'm in the minority who really rates him . Could depend on what happens with smith.

Gossett - ?

Charlie mac - another year , unless Lj has targeted another experienced frontman .

JCH , philli , Dayton - all under contract. happy with these three staying although Dayton has been poor for a few months.

Harkins and worrall - ££ the issue both under contract next season at parent clubs . Worrall hasn't overly impressed me though. Harkins is mustard.

There'll be the usual summer comings and goings whichever league we end up in.

Think that Rachubka, Lockwood, Brown, Kusunga, Belezika, Winchester, Rodgers, Dunfield, MacDonald and Millar will be released.

Can't see Grounds or Weso hanging around for more of the same struggle and given the current sale policy you'd assume any reasonable offer for any of the others will see them depart.

So we'll need a new team basically.

Edited by deyres42

If we don't get more attacking threat from the centre of the park I wouldn't be averse to the Smith-Wes partnernship splitting up. There was an improvement against Tranmere so hopefully that lasts...

I'd keep everyone, signing the loanees permanently, apart from Wilson, Millar and MacDonald. Kusunga is 50/50 as without knowing how he's picking up these injuries it's difficult to say whether he's in an unlucky run or genuinely just got creaky legs. Can't comment on Rodgers or Kissock as not seen enough of them to say.

Emphasis on signing a striker or two, a couple of centre backs and a full back.

Continuity is key.

I don't think anybody's claimed he's our "best" player - he's certainly been our most consistent and reliable this season though.

There'll be the usual summer comings and goings whichever league we end up in.

Think that Rachubka, Lockwood, Brown, Kusunga, Belezika, Winchester, Rodgers, Dunfield, MacDonald and Millar will be released.

Can't see Grounds or Weso hanging around for more of the same struggle and given the current sale policy you'd assume any reasonable offer for any of the others will see them depart.

So we'll need a new team basically.

I think Lockwood will be retained, possibly added to the coaching staff. Grounds could well go if better offers are received.

A couple of season long loanees may be brought in (I would like to see the big youth centre back and the box to box midfielder from Fulham here).

Not sure if we will keep Harkins, he must have attracted a lot of attention with his excellent displays, hopefully we can.

Above all I'm sure lessons will have been learned - which will involve a smaller higher quality squad next season.

I think Lockwood will be retained, possibly added to the coaching staff. Grounds could well go if better offers are received.

A couple of season long loanees may be brought in (I would like to see the big youth centre back and the box to box midfielder from Fulham here).

Not sure if we will keep Harkins, he must have attracted a lot of attention with his excellent displays, hopefully we can.

Above all I'm sure lessons will have been learned - which will involve a smaller higher quality squad next season.

This for me is key, we've been carrying too many below average players for a few seasons, it has to change.

Corney needs to pay what Wesolowski and Grounds are asking, within reason.

It'll cost him more in the long run in signing on fees for the 3 or 4 signings for each position it 'll ultimately take to replace them

Since Grounds can play centre or left back you have a valid point Harry.

I note that you do not say to sacrifice a good/our best/ our most important/ our vital, so perhaps you rate him as he should be rated not as others may do.

He's a good player and offers us important ball winning quality in the middle of the park as does Korey and having both them in the team allows the wingers to concentrate on getting forward and creating and also allows our full backs to get forward and overlap I just don't think we have seen it enough this season.

It's well known on here i'm not Connor Browns biggest fan. I have an opinion on his relative merit as a player. But, i try not to let it cloud me when he does something decent / plays well. If he does well, I call it as such.

You really mustn't let your obvious negativity towards Wes blinker you to the point of rendering your posts null & void.

Limited he may well be; but he's been out stand out performer this season; and is the epitomy of Mr Consistent. We missed him massively when he was out injured with his fractured cheek. And he had a huge inpact once again the moment he returned to the side.

Wes is one of, if not the, most crucial signings for next season. Vital he's retained IMO...

Another Dickov-ism. The similarities between the two of them is quite unbelievable. We managed to get a good 6 months out of Dickov though.

The issue of next seasons team is one that irks me because when the season started, I watched on at Stevenage with a great deal of excitement for the season ahead. The line up was Oxley, Brown, Tarkowski, Grounds, Mellor, Dayton, Smith, Baxter, Montano, MacDonald, Rooney. With the exciting Clarke-Harris and Schmeltz coming on from the bench, and experienced clogger Byrne seeing the game out. The whole gameplan was to play out from the back, and use the wingers pace and trickery to supply chances to the goal poacher MacDonald and reliable 1 in 3 Rooney.

Against Tranmere yesterday, There was no Tarkowski, sold for a pittance, no Baxter, sold for a pittance, No Montano (which isn't LJ's fault) and no Rooney, released before he ever really got going.

Clarke-Harris hasn't improved to the level we all hoped, Schmeltz is another who has been let go prematurely too, and Byrne has been replaced by another aging clogger, we may as well have kept him, who was doubling up as coach and also liked being around the place, and someone the other players looked up to.

The decision to release Rooney was an awful one, the lad should at least have been given a full season and now Aberdeen are reaping the goalscoring rewards.

What has happened? Why has LJ had a 'Dickov moment' and bottled his gameplan? What happened to due diligence on signings and them being well thought out? I don't recognise the team now, it has been littered with loans and short term deals, Lockwood, Worrall, Harkins, Dunfield, Stead, Kissock,,Turner, Wilson, while he's binned off new signings from the summer after 6 months. The football is also awful, everyone raved how good it was to watch us, we were always the better side but we just couldn't win (a comment that always made me chuckle) now we still don't win but the football is shocking, we were awful against both Bristol City and Gillingham, it was penny-esque.

I still think we'll go down, which could be positive if it means Johnson getting the boot, i'd then like to see a mixture of young vibrant players with a sprinkle of older heads. And i'd like to see a return of the 'pretty football' that was so enjoyable in August and September.

And just to update, we have now only won 4 out of 17 in the league, and our next few fixtures are Preston, Rotherham, Crewe, Crawley, Orient and Brentford. I can see one win against Crawley and one draw against Crewe. Relegation form.

He lives in Preston. Location-wise we'd be perfect for him. Has the fans in the palm of his hand and is completely unwanted by his parent club. :censored: me, if we can't nail him down on a nice contract then there's something seriously wrong at the club.

I fully expect us to make a move for him. If we don't, then I'm quitting football for good. Or supporting whoever he signs for.

He lives in Preston. Location-wise we'd be perfect for him. Has the fans in the palm of his hand and is completely unwanted by his parent club. :censored: me, if we can't nail him down on a nice contract then there's something seriously wrong at the club.

I fully expect us to make a move for him. If we don't, then I'm quitting football for good. Or supporting whoever he signs for.

Even Preston?..if he destroys them on Saturday they might be interested.

Edited by BP1960

I think he chose to live in Preston after signing for us because of it's quick access to the M6 and Scotland.

I don't think we will be able to afford both him and K Smith

He's a good player and offers us important ball winning quality in the middle of the park as does Korey and having both them in the team allows the wingers to concentrate on getting forward and creating and also allows our full backs to get forward and overlap I just don't think we have seen it enough this season.

So yet again a contradictory post. As you say it isn't working-because we do not need 2 defensive midfielders

So yet again a contradictory post. As you say it isn't working-because we do not need 2 defensive midfielders

I think the problem lies with LJ and the players minset with this though.

Wes should be the tough-tackling, dirty work midfielder in the middle of the field. The invisible man sort of role where a lot of his good work towards the team goes largely unnoticed. But it is crucial to the team.

Smith on the other hand, should not be also playing the holding role. Having Wes in the centre with him should liberate him, allow him to get forward and engage with wingers and strikers on the field.

Surely that should be coached into their game? Or can you not coach an 'experienced' player to change?

It's well known on here i'm not Connor Browns biggest fan. I have an opinion on his relative merit as a player. But, i try not to let it cloud me when he does something decent / plays well. If he does well, I call it as such.

You really mustn't let your obvious negativity towards Wes blinker you to the point of rendering your posts null & void.

Limited he may well be; but he's been out stand out performer this season; and is the epitomy of Mr Consistent. We missed him massively when he was out injured with his fractured cheek. And he had a huge inpact once again the moment he returned to the side.

Wes is one of, if not the, most crucial signings for next season. Vital he's retained IMO...

So if I say something that you disagree with then I must be wearing blinkers? As you say Wes is limited, before that you say that he is not our best player, so why should we go out of our way to re-sign one of our 2 highest earners (supposedly) when you cannot make a clear and valid point as to why we should.

It must be patently obvious to many fans, a few of whom have stated it on here, our midfield is not working, it is too defensive so we end up fitting our most creative midfielder and our 'link' man on the wings therefore we don't get any crosses in for the strikers.

I think the problem lies with LJ and the players minset with this though.

Wes should be the tough-tackling, dirty work midfielder in the middle of the field. The invisible man sort of role where a lot of his good work towards the team goes largely unnoticed. But it is crucial to the team.

Smith on the other hand, should not be also playing the holding role. Having Wes in the centre with him should liberate him, allow him to get forward and engage with wingers and strikers on the field.

Surely that should be coached into their game? Or can you not coach an 'experienced' player to change?

I just don't believe those comments. You are clearly saying that Wes should be our defensive midfielder and Smith the attacking 1. Well I am sorry but our manager who knows better than both of us put together has never set the team up to play that way, Why? To me it is perfectly obvious, Smith tackles!

I just don't believe those comments. You are clearly saying that Wes should be our defensive midfielder and Smith the attacking 1. Well I am sorry but our manager who knows better than both of us put together has never set the team up to play that way, Why? To me it is perfectly obvious, Smith tackles!

Does our manager know our team better than us though? He should do, but he's not always right.

You've clearly got an agenda against Wes anyway, can tell from all your comments. What's your problem with him? He's been player of the season for me...