Next season's team - what you'd like/what you think.

My two penneth which could change after Crewe.

Bold for the players who we'll keep, normal for the possibles, red for the players who won't be here for one reason or another.

Oxley - I get the feeling that him being here permanently could be best for all parties by the summer. Keep

Brown - Keep. A League One full back, we could do worse.

Grounds - Keep but in reality I'd imagine he'll go to a big budget League 1 club, possibly run-of-the-mill Championship.

Wesolowski - Keep but aside from the Championship bit, same as above.

Kusunga - I've rated him whenever I've seen him play but injuries and suspensions will probably tip the balance the other way. Release.

Smith - Based on our track record with our top players this season, I doubt he'll stay. The fee needs to be good.

MacDonald - Same as Kusunga minus the suspensions. Release.

Mellor - Not really convinced by him going off this season but if Grounds goes then he could have enough plus points to make the cut.

JCH - Keep

Winchester - good footballer and while we need to find him a regular position, his versatility is currently a good thing for us. Keep.

Wilson - Not a clue yet. If him and Lockwood form a good partnership between now and May then they could be crucial for stability next season.

Rodgers - Not been good enough when I've seen him. If it's a choice between him and Winchester then I know who I'd choose. Release.

Lockwood - See Wilson.

Dayton - I guess we'll have to keep him unless he's out of contract, but he's not produced enough. If he gets a run in the side between now and May he'll need to make a big impact.

Kissock - Not a clue.

Millar - Release

Belezika - Release

Philly - Keep.

Worrall - Unless he really enjoys it with us then I'd imagine that he could find a bigger League 1 club next year. I doubt he'll be far off the Rotherham first team tbh.

Rachubka - If he's cheap and is looking for coaching opportunities then he could be the perfect backup. Keep

Harkins - A realistic quality signing. Next year he could be a hero or he could be the next Robbie Simpson. I hope the club are willing to take that risk. Keep

Turner - He was bought for the future. Keep

Gosset - At Orient last year he was obviously lightweight due to his age, but he certainly showed ability on the ball. Keep.

Truelove - See Gosset.

Coleman - Not a clue.

Clarke - Not a clue

Bove - Not a clue

Pritchard - Not a clue.

Dunfield - Not a clue.

As much stability as possible could be important but with Grounds and Wes likely to go on a free and Smith going to get strong interest I get the feeling it may be out of our hands. The 2nd tier of players (Brown, Winchester, Oxley, Dayton, JCH etc.) could be the be the best chance of continuity for next season. A little grim if you ask me.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With continuity in mind, I don't think the following starting lineup is beyond the realms of possibility come August

New Keeper (outside chance of Oxley)

Brown

Lockwood

Grounds/Wilson

Mellor/Grounds

Worrall

Wesolowski

New CM/Winchester/Mellor/Smith if he stays

Harkins

Philliskirk

Clarke Harris/New Striker

I'd be happy with that, especially with a new creative CM and/or quality striker

What do people see in Wilson?

I'm sure he's relatively solid and all the rest of the clichés attributed to a hoofballer, even though it appears Lockwood, who I've been miles more impressed with, has been leading him so far, but his inability on the ball has been really detrimental to our style of play since he's been a starter. At 25 I can't see him improving in that respect.

Maybe it's more noticeable as he's replaced Tarky who was obviously brilliant passing and dribbling, but Wilson appears to be so uncomfortable we'd have to play another way, far less attractive than the one we began the season with, to accomodate him.

He doesn't fit the tactics LJ initially wanted so I wouldn't offer him a contract for next season unless we've got 3 other CBs. Grounds will be one of them I hope...

What do people see in Wilson?

I'm sure he's relatively solid and all the rest of the clichés attributed to a hoofballer, even though it appears Lockwood, who I've been miles more impressed with, has been leading him so far, but his inability on the ball has been really detrimental to our style of play since he's been a starter. At 25 I can't see him improving in that respect.

Maybe it's more noticeable as he's replaced Tarky who was obviously brilliant passing and dribbling, but Wilson appears to be so uncomfortable we'd have to play another way, far less attractive than the one we began the season with, to accomodate him.

He doesn't fit the tactics LJ initially wanted so I wouldn't offer him a contract for next season unless we've got 3 other CBs. Grounds will be one of them I hope...

Even before Tarkowski went the style of play had been like this for a while.

Wilson seems fine to me, he's not eyecatching but does little wrong.

He reminds me of Reuben Hazell but without the regular clangers, so far.

New GK

Rachubka

New RB

Kusunga

Wilson

Grounds

New CB

New LB

Truelove

Worrall

Dayton

Smith

Mellor

Winchester

Rodgers

Harkins (Would use him in CM as we tried with Baxter)

Gosset

New Winger (Ideally pacey)

Philly

JCH

Turner

New ST (Ideally a target man)

Then some of those coming to end of their two year youth deal if wages are cheap enough.

Edited by RobOAFC

new gk

new rb

new cb

new cb

new lb

new lw

new cm

new cm

new rw

new striker

Harkins

oh and if we go doen new manager. and a new chairmen whose got a clue.

I'm getting the vibe that you aren't too pleased with LJ as our manager right? Am I right? I am aren't I, I'm right...

A squad of strong, fit, fast, well organised players with a positive mentality, If PNE can do it signing the likes of Jack King who spent 8 years in non league until he was 27 years of age surely we can find some similar quite cheaply.

Supplement them with a couple of lads on loan for the season from Fulham, Burgess and Sambou and a play off place at least is assured. :unsure:

Bring in dedicated experienced first team scout.

Managing is easy isn't it from the sidelines? :wink:

Edited by BP1960