BP seating arrangements and improved atmosphere

Best seating arrangements at BP  

168 members have voted

1. 1. What is the vest seating arrangement to boost atmosphere at BP

• No change. Home and away fans in RRE. Latics have big section.
    • Home fans congregated in the Chaddy. Away fans have the whole RRE.
    • Away fans in the Chaddy. Home fans in the RRE.
    • Latics fans have small section of RRE. Away fans in the big section.
    • Away fans in the mainstand paddock
    • Other

Most of the atmosphere at BP comes from antagonising away fans. Put them at seperate ends of the ground and you don't get that, but that means opening up all 4 stands to home fans which will cost more and make it look emptier. Scoring and winning could be a solution, though.

I can't see fans in the Chaddy making a significant improvement to the atmosphere anyway.

When the new stand is up the two ends will be even more scarce so putting them together won't culminate in as large a crowd as most seem to expect.

Safe-standing terrace is an option, albeit a long term one that LJ says is unlikely.

Solution for me is to create a singing section in the new stand or the Paddock on the end nearest the away fans in a similar way to Port Vale and Burnley have.

Would mean home fans occupy 3 stands so not to make BP feel empty, home and away fans can still have banter and we can keep the Chaddy for traditionalists while having a designated singing section that creates an atmosphere.

Unfortunately as it stands, we can't revert back to standing.

Hopefully that will change within the next few years.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no-one's gone for the option of away fans in the paddock, but it could make sense..

if they're going to bring a couple of hundred, give them one side of the paddock. and if they're going to bring a couple of thousand give them the small section of the RRE too?

when the new stand's up, people wanting a side view can still have that too, with home fans in the chaddy, RRE big section and New Stand.

no-one's gone for the option of away fans in the paddock, but it could make sense..

if they're going to bring a couple of hundred, give them one side of the paddock. and if they're going to bring a couple of thousand give them the small section of the RRE too?

when the new stand's up, people wanting a side view can still have that too, with home fans in the chaddy, RRE big section and New Stand.

I was assuming that the paddock would be used as the "cheaper alternative" much like the Lookers paddock used to be.

Those were the days! :lookers:

I used to go in the chaddy as a youngster when it was standing and the atmosphere was great now it's like a morgue and 30% full at best.

Put home fans in the RRE there would be 2000+ in there even against the unfashional teams and a full RRE for big games would be great. The small section could become the family stand.

It's a no brainer for me and we would gain more than we lose.....when we re-develop the Chaddy fans would have to move anyway.

Atmosphere aside. Away fans should be given the chaddy purely on the basis it is a horrendous stand to watch a football game from.

One of the reasons we dont get more in is that when away fans get the entire RRE we have the 'option' of watching the game from the chaddy or main stand.

The floating fan opts for the pub or soccer saturday. £20 to sit staring at a post seeing a good view of half a pitch or sit in the main stand where the view is good but the locals are best off out of ear shot.

As for the RRE. Its not been good in the big section since the Millwall game a few years ago. Best days and atmosphere have always been when Latics are in the small section.

Sooner the new stand is up the better

those clinging onto the nostalgia of the chaddy. We all have fond memories in their but sooner we are out of there the better. Good memories are being clouded by the depressing state it has become today.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Away fans in the chaddy Let's give it a try in an upcoming game. An example Coventry where they will bring a few and with it being Easter Monday as well it attracts a few more.

If it works great if it doesn't then we revert back

I think you will find they will be far louder than us whichever stand they are put in.

I don't get this.

There is more leg room in the chaddy than the RRE as far as I am aware.

I've sat in the RRE a few times for friendliest etc. But still believe there is less legroom.

We sit on row K in the RRE and the leg room is okay, not spectacular.

Last time i went in the Chaddy, the leg room was so bad, we were about 12 rows back.

Might be different further back in the stand.

Surely for one of the remaining home games this season, the club could "trial" making the RRE for home fans and give the chaddy to away fans. What harm can it do, I know people speak about tradition but surely what is best for the club comes first. It might be me but if you dont try you will never know.

There's no point trialing this now as I for one will go whichever stand I'm in. Have the trial on a cold, wet windy day or night and I won't be their if I have to go in the RRE. Why should I get drenched when away fans are sat in relative comfort in the Chaddy?

There's no point trialing this now as I for one will go whichever stand I'm in. Have the trial on a cold, wet windy day or night and I won't be their if I have to go in the RRE. Why should I get drenched when away fans are sat in relative comfort in the Chaddy?

You don't get drenched if you sit from about row J back. Don't think i've ever got wet whilst sitting in there.

Sit in the new stand and you will though!

It doesn't matter where we sit their is no atmosphere at boundary park when our 3 sided ground is only 1third full and most of us can't be arsed singing

It's not like the rre is creating a wonderful atmosphere when we have home fans in it.

from what I notice, there are two sets of singers at bp. One set are at the top corner of the rre and the others behind the goal in the chaddy.

Merging them would obviously create more volume.

Should've closed the Chaddy end completely for one game and pretended it was for 'essential maintenance' or due to a water leak or something, rather than create uproar by publicly stating they were thinking of a change.

I can respect tradition, but then again I'm a RRE ST holder who would rather sit in the toilets all game than endure a game sat in the Chaddy end.

Edited by DTM

People who sit in the chaddy end really don't realise how little noise is made from them during the game. It's gets drowned out. Same at the big games. May sound good whilst you are sat in it but it's far from what you think! Home fans in the RRE and away in chaddy end so they don't get heard.

The Chaddy End was the home end when the RRE wasn't covered. Consequently it was better by virtue of having a roof - and the noise the home fans generated wasn't lost upwards like that from the open end.

We now have a situation where the acoustics are better in the RRE , as are the facilities (even if not perfect). I cannot understand why supporters don't want to give the team as much encouragement as possible , and that's by being housed in the RRE.

I've had season tickets in all four sides, was proud to call myself a Chaddy Ender, but if we want to give vocal support to the players then the home end has to be the RRE.

The Chaddy End was the home end when the RRE wasn't covered. Consequently it was better by virtue of having a roof - and the noise the home fans generated wasn't lost upwards like that from the open end.

We now have a situation where the acoustics are better in the RRE , as are the facilities (even if not perfect). I cannot understand why supporters don't want to give the team as much encouragement as possible , and that's by being housed in the RRE.

I've had season tickets in all four sides, was proud to call myself a Chaddy Ender, but if we want to give vocal support to the players then the home end has to be the RRE.

^That.

Not only was the RRE open to the elements (meaning some of the :censored:test westerlies in England) but if it rained even a little bit, the away fans had to wade through a swamp between the turnstiles and the terracing. I just hope the Chaddy Enders (God love 'em) have a proper think about this and come to the conclusion that they should at least give it a whirl.

I like the idea of a trial game. Not sure whether the filth GMP will be too happy, but it's a good idea.

What would be interesting is another poll. I know.

I've voted for a switch but I go to BP about twice a season. I try and mix it up for the sake of tradition. It'd be interesting to know whether the switch supporters are exiles or regulars or what, and who the (ahem) hopelessly conservative stick-in-the-muds are.

If we're to have a trial then I think the best time would be an early cup game next season. The new stand would be up, giving us four sides, and there would be less disruption to Chaddy End season ticket holders.

Having said that I think a trial is pointless. Sod all this power to the people nonsense and make the switch.

I completely understand the tradition angle. I used to stand in the Chaddy when it was packed every week. Awesome place. Then I had to pay for my own season ticket and therefore went in the Lookers Paddock!

I too sat with the same complete strangers every week, many of whom have turned out to be good friends. The banter we had in there was probably the best in all my 30 odd years of watching Latics. I was gutted when the club announced they were pulling it down, utterly distraught. The thought of having to sit anywhere but "my seat" almost made me angry.

But do you know what? :censored: happens, things change and even us at OAFC have to accept the inevitable progress. I grew a pair, stopped bitching and realised it was for the good of the club. All this self absorbed, drama queen "I'm never going again if they make me move" rubbish - REALLY? Get a grip for Christ's sake. The club try to be as flexible as they can, as often as they can, despite accusations to the contrary (from me included!) and I think we fans should try to adapt occasionally too. But the bottom line has to be what's best for the club as a whole and if moving the home fans to the RRE is the best of a bad bunch, then so be it.

I sit in the Chaddy currently, by the way.

Whatever happens, I think us home fans, with our current pitiful numbers should be kept to two stands, whichever they may be. If the sole purpose of this exercise is to improve the atmosphere, then short of getting back the stay-aways, which isn't going to happen anytime soon, grouping us as much together as possible is the only logical short-term solution.

I expect the majority of those who would be against moving from the Chaddy probably wouldn't be on an internet forum anyway, if you get my drift. Which may partly explain the current voting.

Long term? We can enjoy the better views and facilities and overall atmosphere of the RRE (I've had a ST in there too over the years) and when the Chaddy eventually gets redeveloped, we can relocate.

Edited by Snookmeister

I completely understand the tradition angle. I used to stand in the Chaddy when it was packed every week. Awesome place. Then I had to pay for my own season ticket and therefore went in the Lookers Paddock!

I too sat with the same complete strangers every week, many of whom have turned out to be good friends. The banter we had in there was probably the best in all my 30 odd years of watching Latics. I was gutted when the club announced they were pulling it down, utterly distraught. The thought of having to sit anywhere but "my seat" almost made me angry.

But do you know what? :censored: happens, things change and even us at OAFC have to accept the inevitable progress. I grew a pair, stopped bitching and realised it was for the good of the club. All this self absorbed, drama queen "I'm never going again if they make me move" rubbish - REALLY? Get a grip for Christ's sake. The club try to be as flexible as they can, as often as they can, despite accusations to the contrary (from me included!) and I think we fans should try to adapt occasionally too. But the bottom line has to be what's best for the club as a whole and if moving the home fans to the RRE is the best of a bad bunch, then so be it.

I sit in the Chaddy currently, by the way.

Whatever happens, I think us home fans, with our current pitiful numbers should be kept to two stands, whichever they may be. If the sole purpose of this exercise is to improve the atmosphere, then short of getting back the stay-aways, which isn't going to happen anytime soon, grouping us as much together as possible is the only logical short-term solution.

I expect the majority of those who would be against moving from the Chaddy probably wouldn't be on an internet forum anyway, if you get my drift. Which may partly explain the current voting.

Long term? We can enjoy the better views and facilities and overall atmosphere of the RRE (I've had a ST in there too over the years) and when the Chaddy eventually gets redeveloped, we can relocate.

Agree with every word Dan, especially the bit i've highlighted. Your wedding is still one of the best shin digs i've ever been to ha ha.

I also miss the Lookers Paddock desperately. And the friends I made in there. Was only talking to Nick and Paul the other day, they haven't changed a bit. And I miss MY seat, row A, seat 103.

Like you say though, :censored: happens and we move on.

The Chaddy End is falling to pieces. The facilities are crap. Stick the visitors in it.

Edited by Break The Silence