Squad Changes - A comparison from Stevenage to Rotherham - Where do we go from here?

taof84.jpg2yvrx5c.jpg

I thought to get a full comparison of the squad i'd put together the team from the opening day against the team that played last night. It's important to note that we didn't have some important players last night, JCH through suspension.

However, the clear defining players which are missing are Jose Baxter and James Tarkowski - they stand out in the squad on the left, among an average squad. I think our expections for this season were heavily over-exagerated by both Johnson's pre-season comments of "looking for promotion" and also the goals and win on that opening day.

Obviously we lost Montano, who had otherwise looked a very good player, because of his stupidity in getting himself into the betting and fixing game. Unfortunately, that seemingly looks a turning point in our season - although, we weren't spectacular before that came out. With him gone, we've not replaced him with a decent winger, apart from Petrasso, but even he was left unused on the right wing for the majority of games.

I look at that team that played at Stevenage, it already looks intrinsically weak, in hindsight. However, when compared to the one from last night, it looked as if we might have had a hope, of pushing on.

Where do we go from here then? That team will not get us anywhere in my opinion, in league 1 or even league 2 it looked intrinsically average. Out of last nights starting XI, I can see 3 players being here next season, 4 at a push.

James Wesolowski - Natural battler in the middle, but needs a ball playing, forward pushing midfielder along side him.

JP Kissock - One for the future

Rhys Turner - Same as Kissock

Harkins - I could see him coming back, if we can afford to and if allowed, but fear he could be another player that plays for a contract.

Other than that, I can't see many of them being here next season. Apart from being squad players.

Oxley - Will go back to Hull, 90% won't return.

Smith - Will move on, doesn't look interested any more, far too backward minded and Corney will cash in on our "star man"

Lockwood - Might stay as a squad player, but can't see him becoming the established centre half. Very poor man's Sean Gregan.

Wilson - LJ's mate, probably stay for Johnson, wouldn't bother if it were me, not for the starting XI anyway

Grounds - Another who looked like a world beater early in the season, playing as a centre half. Can see him moving on, maybe to a better team

Mellor - Simply not good enough for League 1, can't nail a position down, has to go

MacDonald - Looks alright, works hard with no end result, too injury prone and I doubt he'll be here

Just looking at the subs, a more drastic verdict. I can see 1 being here next season.

Philliskirk - Would love him to stay, seems like he's got something there, but he can't produce in the league. I'd give him another go, though.

Brown - Another who isn't good enough, he's had his chances and messes them up each time

Dunfield - Don't even know why he's here, that's all I need to say

Winchester - Another player who can't nail down a position, he's too light weight but could be a good player. Not worth another year of hope.

Millar - Same as above, was set to be used as a striker, hasn't been used enough to warrant being needed.

Rachubka - Another who might probably be here, but he won't get a sniff of the starting XI in the league.

It's looking like we're going to have another annual clear out, as most players either don't deserve to be, or just simply won't be staying beyond the summer break. I wish we could keep a core of a team together, but if that means keeping the likes of Smith (Great on his day, but too backward), MacDonald, Mellor etc. Then we'll be in for another season of disappointment. It's been pointed to, but a team of tall, strong players is the way to win this league, in most cases. But that is not the Oldham way in these modern years.

It's a damning verdict, but as a fan, I obviously want us to do well, I want us to win games. But, I want a team that will go out there with Heart, Desire and Passion, A team that looks like they want to go out and attack the opposition. Strikers that look like they want to score goals. Defenders who will take no :censored:. As opposed to the team we have now, that comes out of tackles, passes it backwards constantly, and is seemingly scared to shoot.

Is it too much to ask, as a fan, that our players care?

Based on last nights and the last few performances, it must be.

Oxley - Replace, never took off for me. Hit form for two games and now back to the same old

Smith - Replace, recent form has been crap. No chance of keeping anyway, cash in and replace with someone more attacking minded.

Lockwood - Replace, "Hoof" really in need of someone better

Wilson - Keep, nothing wrong with the lad. Looks good on the ball and the air. Someone equally as decent next to him and well be reasonably solid.

Grounds - Replace, this season really hasn't gone well for him. Always feel in danger when he has the ball.

Mellor - Keep, what do we have to lose? In the right position and formation he could be utilised well, its just finding that!

MacDonald - Replace, injury prone and never looks interested to me.

Philliskirk - Keep, just out of form atm

Turner- Keep, obvious one to keep.

Kissock - Keep, but only for half a season. Seems like the typical p"play for a contract" player atm.

Wes - Keep, got to!

Brown - Keep, as back up

Dunfield - Replace, again, obvious

Winchester - Keep, nothing to lose squad player.

Millar - Replace, never seen anything in him

Rachubka - Replace, two new keepers needed.

Oxley - Replace, never took off for me. Hit form for two games and now back to the same old

Smith - Replace, recent form has been crap. No chance of keeping anyway, cash in and replace with someone more attacking minded.

Grounds - Replace, this season really hasn't gone well for him. Always feel in danger when he has the ball.

MacDonald - ... never looks interested to me.

Good god.

Kissock - Keep, but only for half a season. Seems like the typical p"play for a contract" player atm.

What? He's played about 70 minutes for us. Ever. Not like he's played :censored: since start of season then suddenly become amazing in the last few months.

Lockwood - Replace, "Hoof" really in need of someone better

Wilson - Keep, nothing wrong with the lad. Looks good on the ball and the air. Someone equally as decent next to him and well be reasonably solid.

I'm not disputing the keep and replace verdicts, but I think you have the 'good on the ball' thing the wrong way around.

Lockwood has been surprisingly decent on the ball, Wilson has been absolutely dreadful. He's the hoofballer. I know the stereotypes of non-league clogger and young lad cloud judgements but how you can say Wilson is good on the ball amazes me. He's clearly not.

On to the original post, the graphic shows that the spine of the team has been dismantled more than anything. The fringe players are the same, it's the best players and the volume of players inbetween the first game and last game. 38 is it? No continuity, and gradually we've brought in poorer players, especially defensively and lost better ones.

Macdonald may not be scoring, but disinterested? That I dont agree with

I wish charlies workrate was rewarded with goals if the half a dozen had his heart and desire last night things may of been different, should of put one of his two chances away but cannot fault his work ethic at all.