Crawley next week..

The Crawley game should have been a reduced price ticket match, not a reduced attendance match

Oh, but twitter will disappear under a chavalanche of "JOKE CLUB!!!111!" tweets and it'll be the moan-du-jour for those who have already paid for a season ticket.

Selfish fans are ruining the club as much as the misdirection of the board room.

totally agree it should of been £10 or even £5 with accompanied kids for £1, could of just used the rochdale road and left the dinos in the chaddy to it.

It makes you wonder if those in charge want us to sink to new lows as they have done nothing this season but make us weaker.

Edited by yarddog73

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Crawley game should have been a reduced price ticket match, not a reduced attendance match

Oh, but twitter will disappear under a chavalanche of "JOKE CLUB!!!111!" tweets and it'll be the moan-du-jour for those who have already paid for a season ticket.

Selfish fans are ruining the club as much as the misdirection of the board room.

Tend to agree, if atmosphere/support was really a factor then they should be doing all they can to encourage as many into it as possible, for all the remaining games.

This decision will probably knock a few off the gate on Saturday but it won't be enough to stop the club claiming it was the right decision.

Is it though, really?

I've sat all over it and I've always thought the view is better from the Chaddy End.

depends if an elevated un restricted view is what your after if so rre, I'm struggling to see how the chaddy is a better view other than the feel of it when it does get behind the team, its another one of those 50/50 things at latics where people spit their dummy and people cant see whats good for the team and progress just marks time as everyone passes us by, who'd of thought rochfail would be in a league above us eh !!!

The RRE folk have less strong feelings than the Chaddy End folk.

All this guff about who sits in what vacuum chamber would be okay if we had 50 points. It's not okay when we're in the :censored:. I'm all for the gaffer thinking about the bigger picture but he really should have other things on his mind just now.

Ding ding - the single most correct sentence ever posted on this fine forum.

depends if an elevated un restricted view is what your after if so rre, I'm struggling to see how the chaddy is a better view other than the feel of it when it does get behind the team,

top half of the Chaddy seems closer to the pitch than lower down in the RRE to me. it might just be me.

Ding ding - the single most correct sentence ever posted on this fine forum.

I don't get this at all.

How exaclty is wanting to pay to sit where you've always paid to sit or wanting to sit where you already paid to sit "selfish"?

Especially when the atmosphere argument is bollocks in this instance.

If the club just came out and said that because attendances have dropped to such a level we can save a bit of money by closing the RRE to home fans there'd be far less resistance to it.

I don't get this at all.

How exaclty is wanting to pay to sit where you've always paid to sit or wanting to sit where you already paid to sit "selfish"?

Especially when the atmosphere argument is bollocks in this instance.

If the club just came out and said that because attendances have dropped to such a level we can save a bit of money by closing the RRE to home fans there'd be far less resistance to it.

Is it to do with cost-cutting? I thought it was to do with LJ's somewhat niche dreams of a unified crowd who suddenly pipe up and suck the ball into the net.

Club Statement.

Following on from yesterday’s story around the Verlin Stand being closed to home supporters for this Saturday’s visit of Crawley Town we have received a number of phone calls and emails around what is an emotive subject.
The players and management team frequently comment on the superb atmosphere generated by our travelling support, particularly in the last two away matches at Tranmere and Crewe, where on both occasions away support has been over 750 and has sounded like considerably more. With this in mind the decision was taken to try and replicate this superb, vocal, support for this Saturday’s game against Crawley Town. It’s a big game and we want to encourage the best possible atmosphere with everyone getting behind the team.
We understand that fan relocation can be disruptive for supporters and, for this reason we will ensure that we are considering all options available to us. We are therefore trialing relocation throughout the ground in order to take all eventualities into consideration.
We believe that, as an initial trial, it is less disruptive for supporters to relocate from the Verlin Stand, as we ask them to do this on regular occasions over the course of the season. The club apologise for any inconvenience caused to supporters who feel strongly about this, however we are hoping that as many of our fans as possible will join together to create a superb atmosphere on Saturday. We recognize that with the building of the new stand there is a wider discussion to be had on locating both home away supporters in the future and supporters will certainly be involved in these discussions and decisions.

Read more at http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20140318-supporter-notice-1428541.aspx#Oy2bWM0rGFIYukVS.99

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

Is it to do with cost-cutting? I thought it was to do with LJ's somewhat niche dreams of a unified crowd who suddenly pipe up and suck the ball into the net.

Two sides of the ground will be silent now - hasn't he previously said himself the silent Lookers side has a negative effect?

I'm now in the RRE, I want to be back in the Lookers, but I can't be. I've tried up top in the main stand and it is awful for legroom and atmosphere. The main stand paddock is ok for legroom and atmosphere but the risk of rain puts me off. The Chaddy is now my least preferred stand to sit in, those pillars really do get on my nerves.

The RRE has its faults too but out of all the places to sit and watch the game currently on offer in my opinion the RRE offers the best place to do this.

D'oh! Forgot to mention that on Saturday I will be going in the main stand paddock like I have for all the games when we've been kicked out of the RRE and I will sing as much as I usually do if I was in the RRE.

Edited by beag_teeets

Club Statement.

Following on from yesterday’s story around the Verlin Stand being closed to home supporters for this Saturday’s visit of Crawley Town we have received a number of phone calls and emails around what is an emotive subject.
The players and management team frequently comment on the superb atmosphere generated by our travelling support, particularly in the last two away matches at Tranmere and Crewe, where on both occasions away support has been over 750 and has sounded like considerably more. With this in mind the decision was taken to try and replicate this superb, vocal, support for this Saturday’s game against Crawley Town. It’s a big game and we want to encourage the best possible atmosphere with everyone getting behind the team.
We understand that fan relocation can be disruptive for supporters and, for this reason we will ensure that we are considering all options available to us. We are therefore trialing relocation throughout the ground in order to take all eventualities into consideration.
We believe that, as an initial trial, it is less disruptive for supporters to relocate from the Verlin Stand, as we ask them to do this on regular occasions over the course of the season. The club apologise for any inconvenience caused to supporters who feel strongly about this, however we are hoping that as many of our fans as possible will join together to create a superb atmosphere on Saturday. We recognize that with the building of the new stand there is a wider discussion to be had on locating both home away supporters in the future and supporters will certainly be involved in these discussions and decisions.

Read more at http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20140318-supporter-notice-1428541.aspx#Oy2bWM0rGFIYukVS.99

Next home game - Brentford fans in the Chaddy End or Chaddy End closed .

"The atmosphere is just as good in the Chaddy as it is in the RRE"

"The view in the Chaddy is just as good as it is in the RRE"

If anybody truly believes either or both of the above statements, then they're talking out of their rusty bullet holes.

I get it - people like tradition. Everyone likes some form of tradition in football nowadays. However, if the club want to trial different ways of improving the match day atmosphere, at a time when we bloody well need it, then can you not take that on board and try to go along with it? It seems with certain sections of our support, the club just cant win, and that's not just on the pitch either.

If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work, and the club look at other options, which they'll have to do anyway when the new stand is in place.

And please dont bother coming out with the "if they put in the performances on the pitch then the atmosphere will improve everywhere" line - football isn't as simple as that.

The main stand paddock is ok for legroom and atmosphere but the risk of rain puts me off.

To be fair, I've never got very wet in all the years I've gone in there mate. I think if you sit at the front and right at the side you may be a little exposed if the wind drives the rain the wrong way but it's never often and if it is a bluster, wet day then you can prepare for that fairly easily.

I find sitting at the side always better at the match. You can see offsides well enough for starters.

Has there been any mention of less oppressive stewarding anywhere in this atmosphere improvement intitiative?

good point at tranmere and crewe us who like a sing where allowed to stand and generally enjoy our day out so stewards could have a part to play, another factor may be that we score goals and pick up the odd point away so the atmosphere is a bit more positive.

Just wondering, have we as the home fans ever come close to even remotely filling the Rochdale Rd end for a league game in the last 5 years?

Have we even come close to filling the Rochdale Rd end Large section in a league game over the same period?

Now has anybody sat away from the Rochdale Rd end ever left a game think WOW the Rochdale Rd end faithfull really made a good noise today?

I dont think I can answer yes to any so maybe it just comes down to size of the stand and the fact the chaddy is the traditional home end. The Chaddy is more compact than the RRE and can look busier when pretty full.

Oh and the acoutics may sound better INSIDE the RRE but they dont seem to travel that well from our home fans who love to pat themselves on the back after siging a couple of songs.

Edited by palmer1

Yes it is.

You really think it's that black and white?

Are you one of those who will only offer vocal & encouraging support to a team that's playing well on a regular basis, as I would guess that to be pretty non existent over recent years.

A few of my city supporting mates actually admitted recently that they miss the days when they were following City in the lower leagues. They said the atmosphere "when they were :censored:" was better then than what it is now, and after listening to a few matches on Sky, I can see where they're coming from.

In an ideal world, we'd love to be seeing Barca-esque performances week in week out, but that aint going to happen is it?

I really don't see the problem in trialling different methods of improving the home support, and if that means chucking everyone in one area for a game to test it out, I'm all for it.

For the record, I sit in the Main stand, and whilst the RRE doesn't rock out with Galatasaray levels of noise, it's still louder than what the Chaddy can muster.

Edited by sjk2008