Crawley next week..

Can we fully close a stand for a league game?

I would think so, but we aren't doing so. Crawley will occupy roughly 100 seats.

FWIW I think we may need to make some improvements to comply with next season's regulations, so the cost-cutting associated with this may help with that. See http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20130704/appendix-1_2293633_2128158

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really think it's that black and white?

Are you one of those who will only offer vocal & encouraging support to a team that's playing well on a regular basis, as I would guess that to be pretty non existent over recent years.

A few of my city supporting mates actually admitted recently that they miss the days when they were following City in the lower leagues. They said the atmosphere "when they were :censored:" was better then than what it is now, and after listening to a few matches on Sky, I can see where they're coming from.

In an ideal world, we'd love to be seeing Barca-esque performances week in week out, but that aint going to happen is it?

I really don't see the problem in trialling different methods of improving the home support, and if that means chucking everyone in one area for a game to test it out, I'm all for it.

For the record, I sit in the Main stand, and whilst the RRE doesn't rock out with Galatasaray levels of noise, it's still louder than what the Chaddy can muster.

which is still not very loud.

even during the course of a game the atmosphere ebbs and flows between non existent when we're losing or Smith is having a sideways fest to quite good for a few minutes while we're having a good go at getting an equaliser.

I agree it's not very loud, so dont you think it's worth trying to lump them all in one place to at least attempt to generate better atmosphere, rather than not bother and forever wonder if it'd work?

I agree it's not very loud, so dont you think it's worth trying to lump them all in one place to at least attempt to generate better atmosphere, rather than not bother and forever wonder if it'd work?

Perhaps I for one prefer some high quality research (and anyone who thinks a poll on a website is high quality research is deluded) first and then some experimentation to see if the research theory fits the actuality.

I'm going to be cheeky and suggest that if we spank Crawley we should continue with the "experiment" of no home fans in the RRE.

Perhaps I for one prefer some high quality research (and anyone who thinks a poll on a website is high quality research is deluded) first and then some experimentation to see if the research theory fits the actuality.

I'm going to be cheeky and suggest that if we spank Crawley we should continue with the "experiment" of no home fans in the RRE.

You know that headline is already written "After the success of last weeks experiment..."

What harm is there for one game, really?

What about:

- Chaddy split into two between home fans who don't want to move on one side and small away followings

- Large section of the Rocky for home fans, and if away clubs need the whole Chaddy then Latics relocate to the RRE for a game.

Win-win?

For me, none. For you, none.

For a lot of people it's, rightly or wrongly, pissed them off. There's the harm.

And this is the problem. It's one game where a few people have to go away from the norm. If someone asked me to move, to see if it could benefit the bigger picture, I'd go along with it. If it became a permanent switch but without any justification then I could see why there'd be anger and resistance.

Look at it another way - say there was a magical way in which we could be 100% sure the atmosphere would improve tenfold if this trial was made permanent, and turned out be much, much better in atmosphere, do you think these "traditionalists" would follow suit for the benefit of the club, or dig their heels in because they can't park their arse in the same seat they've done so for years?

And this is the problem. It's one game where a few people have to go away from the norm. If someone asked me to move, to see if it could benefit the bigger picture, I'd go along with it. If it became a permanent switch but without any justification then I could see why there'd be anger and resistance.

Look at it another way - say there was a magical way in which we could be 100% sure the atmosphere would improve tenfold if this trial was made permanent, and turned out be much, much better in atmosphere, do you think these "traditionalists" would follow suit for the benefit of the club, or dig their heels in because they can't park their arse in the same seat they've done so for years?

These are Oldham fans, some don't even need the slightest excuse for a moan.

Problem is though, assuming you see it as a problem of course, is that it won't take much for this to become the 'norm'

If there's no noticeable drop in the attendance on Saturday then they've got all the ammo they need to continue this to the end of the season and beyond.

We have umpteen games already this season where RRE Oldham fans have had to move to the other stands.

So how on earth do we need an experiment to see if it creates a better atmosphere ?

The twin causes of an hapless team & a stadium with only 3 stands(new stand coming any day now) are the root causes of any issues in this area.

Take out the bizarre exception on the Peterborough game and we have a home season of tedious games with few goals scored by our boys and away teams waltzing away with 3 points after playing in first gear for 90 minutes .........any fanbase would be sick and tired of this.

FACT: We have all been voting for a number years about where we want to sit by buying a season ticket. The exception being those of us from the Lookers who are sitting like me in the best alternative.

Probability: Had the club said we are doing this to save money this thread would have been much shorter.

Probability: If the club decides to make the RRE home fans and the Chaddy away fans then that is something they can do BUT they will lose some season ticket sales and they will be asking our team to kick uphill in the second half.

FACT: Chaddy end season ticket holders have not been moved for a league game.

FACT: Although I sit in the Main Stand Upper nearer to the Chaddy than the RRE it is the RRE which creates most of the atmosphere.

Probability: Had the club said we are doing this to save money this thread would have been much shorter and :censored:loads more scary.

Probability: If the club decides to make the RRE home fans and the Chaddy away fans then that is something they can do BUT they will lose some season ticket sales and they will be asking our team to kick uphill in the second half. Good point.

FACT: Chaddy end season ticket holders have not been moved for a league game. I'm starting to think that some of them folk actually LIVE in the Chaddy End, and that they believe Corney wants to build a road through it.

FACT: Although I sit in the Main Stand Upper nearer to the Chaddy than the RRE it is the RRE which creates most of the atmosphere. Cat meets pigeons.