Team Vs Crawley

LJ says that Korey Smith and Kissock are likely to be out, so I'd stick with a similar team/set up to last week. The only change I'd consider would be dropping Worrall after last week's unimpressive showing.

Rachubka

Brown

Wilson

Lockwood

Grounds

Winchester

Philliskirk

Wes

Byrom

Harkins

JCH

It might seem a defensive formation but like last week it allows Philliskirk and Wes to break forward facing towards goal and really allows us to control the midfield. JCH has a hard job but one that he can do very well for at least 70 mins.

With the players on the bench, as well as some on the pitch, we can easily make changes to put an extra man or two in attacking positions. But at this stage of the relegation battle (still fairly early) if we can form a disciplined and hard working unit with a sprinkle of quality then it'll stand us in really good stead for the rest of the season. Especially for games against 2nd and 3rd where being a strong unit is vital.

Going to be a very hard game. Many tipped them to go down as they had so many games to play, mostly 2 a week, but, after their enforced break, they've come back refreshed and found some form, bad news for us and everyone around us.

It really is a must win for us. If we don't win, I fear for us, I really do.

I'd go with this team...

Rachubka

Brown Wilson Lockwood Grounds

Kissock Wesolowski Byrom Harkins

Turner JCH

Turner and Kissock are a must start for me, if Kissock is fit that is. Turner and MacDonald could also be an option but i'd like to see if Turner can link up with Clarke-Harris up front, might be our saving grace.

Isn't the time to be dicking about with the team, but I'll give anything a try now - used 39 players and may even use our 40th if the new lad plays on Saturday.

I dont like 1 up front unless it's in a formation where they are definately supported with 3 behind - a la Southamptons preffered tactics.

A "normal" 4-5-1 tends to naturally go defensive; and isolates the lone striker. The 5 dont tend to link up readily and there's almost always a big gap between the 'solid' (in our case; hmmm?) 5 And the lone striker.

For me; if you want the 1 up top; it has to be in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Almost playing with old school inside forwards and a creative 'in the hole' player.

You need you FB's to really push on though in this formation; and Brown & Grounds or Brown & Mellor doin that? Hmmm.

Even though I would prefer to play that formation all the time; right now, in our current form and with the current bunch of players, i think we need to stick to a 4-4-2. Just stopping twatting it up to small strikers; and play properly in that formation...

rachubka

wilson

lockwood

tarky mk2

grounds

wes

byrom

harkins

turner

jch

charlie

If we get beat 6-5 so be it we only score 1 goal at home normally and let at least as many in so its time to go for it, reliant on everyone putting in a shift and gone for wilson/grounds at fullback for the extra mobility.

rachubka

wilson

lockwood

tarky mk2

grounds

wes

byrom

harkins

turner

jch

charlie

If we get beat 6-5 so be it we only score 1 goal at home normally and let at least as many in so its time to go for it, reliant on everyone putting in a shift and gone for wilson/grounds at fullback for the extra mobility.

I'd love it if we went with that team and pulled off the victory in style. I'm certainly a fan of not playing with wingers at the moment as Harkins can play effectively in the middle and no other winger has justified their place.

I just feel that continuity of selection and strength as a unit will bode well for us in the games coming up too. Our play with the ball at Crewe was crap for the most part, but save a late lapse by Wilson/the defence it would have been a solid defensive win. That's the best chance of picking up wins or draws against Orient and Brentford, by having a defence and midfield confident that they are tough to beat. LJ set his stall out last weekend and I think he's chosen the most appropriate course.

People say tomorrow is a must win, well if we draw in the right manner then that could be good for the forthcoming games. Lose by 2 or 3 goals by being left exposed at the back? Now that would be a disaster.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

After all the :censored: this week the manner of the performance tomorrow is almost as important as the result for me, can set the tone for the rest of the season.

Last 3-4 home games have been as bad as anything in recent memory IMO, they can't afford to serve up any more of those, the famous atmosphere could turn toxic if they do.

I'd go with Sly's 4-2-3-1 suggestion.

----------------- Rachubka -------------------

Brown -- Lockwood -- Wilson -- Grounds

---------------Wes ------ Byram -------------

------ Dayton -- Philliskirk -- Harkins -----

---------------Turner --- JCH ----------------

We've got Dunfield, Mellor, Winchester, Charlie Mac, a sprinkling of kids and Oxley as back up. Pity about the injuries to Smith, Kissock and Kusunga to contend with, which doesn't help.

I'd go with Sly's 4-2-3-1 suggestion.

----------------- Rachubka -------------------

Brown -- Lockwood -- Wilson -- Grounds

---------------Wes ------ Byram -------------

------ Dayton -- Philliskirk -- Harkins -----

---------------Turner --- JCH ----------------

We've got Dunfield, Mellor, Winchester, Charlie Mac, a sprinkling of kids and Oxley as back up. Pity about the injuries to Smith, Kissock and Kusunga to contend with, which doesn't help.

You've also got 12 players in your starting line-up.

If we can get away with it would be perfect.

I can only see a repeat of formation and tactics continuing.

Hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but fearing only the same old...

I read Brentford play only one holding midfielder, they must be doing something right.