New Stand - Prestige Friendly

Aberdeen

1) A slight hint of prestige - Scottish league cup winners and they play in europe

2) They owe us big time for 'goal a game' Rooney

3) Would be great to compare the two teams to assess the standards

It's an achievable target that would still draw a decent crowd

The Frankfurt link is all blown out of proportion there is about a handful of their fans who know of if it the rest couldn't care less.

Regarding the old firm if not Celtic why not rangers they played sheffield Wednesday no trouble. We need to look at teams who would want to come down here and both old firms would want too and would fill the RRE.

I don't want to be playing a Liverpool Manchester United reserve teams and most of there players will be coming back from the World Cup

Still think a friendly where a good few hundred plus there students ex pats over here still be a decent crowd etc

Blown out of proportion or not not many other clubs 31 years later will still have fans etc travelling over for games.

Saying that will proberly play Manchester City elite development squad with a cameo appearance from Micah Richards

Wasn't there a friendly to celebrate the opening of the Ford Stand?..I seem to remember those in the lower half got drenched.

We also had a friendly against a top Brazilian side, but can't remember why that was arranged.

The "official opening " of the Ford Stand was marked by a friendly but I wouldn't call it prestige. Neither did Latics supporters at the time. Just 2785 turned up against Huddersfield on Nov 5 1972.

We had played Borussia Dortmund at the beginning of October but the stand wasn't finished by then ( 0- 0, 6797)

The Brazilians were Internacional, played on Feb 25th 1975. We lost 1 0 in front of 9495.

I think they were doing a mini tour at the time.

The "official opening " of the Ford Stand was marked by a friendly but I wouldn't call it prestige. Neither did Latics supporters at the time. Just 2785 turned up against Huddersfield on Nov 5 1972.

We had played Borussia Dortmund at the beginning of October but the stand wasn't finished by then ( 0- 0, 6797)

The Brazilians were Internacional, played on Feb 25th 1975. We lost 1 0 in front of 9495.

I think they were doing a mini tour at the time.

A few people where talking about the Internacional game on Sunday

I think when pre season is upon us and if the stand is actually ready, we should just look around at which foreign clubs are touring our shores and try to arrange whichever game would most appeal to the wider audience . I don't see too many big clubs wanting to come to sunny oldham just for the opening of one stand. Unless as mentioned we do a Bournemouth type thing , but in all honesty who would fancy paying £50 for an exibition , not me !

We could try and get a prestige team but then end up with "FCUM", the list of things I'd rather do than have us play them is very long indeed.

Latics might be invited to celebrate the opening of their new ground, its only a stones throw away.