Rumours and Transfers 2014

Chron suggests LJ to go for Philliskirk, JCH or Turner rather than a seasoned striker being a priority new signing.

Mistake?

Would be great if the three of them click in pre-season and provide LJ with a positive dilemma of who to start up front....

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chron suggests LJ to go for Philliskirk, JCH or Turner rather than a seasoned striker being a priority new signing.

Mistake?

Would be great if the three of them click in pre-season and provide LJ with a positive dilemma of who to start up front....

Well having a fourth striker who is experienced who can come of the bench and can get a goal would be handy. perhaps that experienced head could also mentor the younger strikers.

We should form an armed militia to fight for Winchester's inclusion. Top secret.

Can the same armed militia get him doing some military training the lad needs to get on the weights doing some hill running with a backpack and just to get a bit nastier.

If he's not spending the summer getting fit he's going to be on the dole within 12 months.

Edited by GlossopLatic

like Charlie MacDonald?

If we had signed him up with that intent to play him from the bench next year and mentored the youngsters I wouldn't have been disappointed. Although I would have hoped for a few more goals from him. Edited by GlossopLatic

We can and LJ says that we might!

Stop moaning and believe in the manager.

There can't (and wont) be enough of a goalscoring improvement with those 3 strikers season. A goalscorer is a MUST for us to Improve on our league position.

Whilst I know there's a long way to go before the start of next season, all we've heard so far (bar wilson & lockwood) is smaller squad, probably no striker, Wes leaving, no word from Brown, loads of interest in Smith and i cant help but feel (so far) were being led into a "we told you so" situation when we start the season with a weaker squad than last.

Which is to be expected I suppose but with the new stand and the unbeaten run I feel its a massive opportunity to push on.

(I know this post is massively premature at this stage of pre-season and Im probably gonna look like a right dick when the season starts)

Sort the distribution out and we'll score more.

JCH needs to become a bit more level headed and confident in front of goal and I agree with this.

Turner looks like he could be an excellent acquisition from the 45 minutes i've seen of him.

Philliskirk can finish, he's proved it in games this season, time to step up and stop going missing in games.

However, an experienced striker never goes a miss, someone who can come on, change the game from one chance. Shame they're expensive at this level. Last one we had was Hughes and we only got him because no-one else would touch him with a 10 foot barge pole.

Philliskirk can finish, he's proved it in games this season, time to step up and stop going missing in games.

did he go missing or did he just get put into midfield in a position he doesn't usually play? i think the latter

did he go missing or did he just get put into midfield in a position he doesn't usually play? i think the latter

I think he tended to go missing on more occasions than he was in the wrong position.

Obviously, in the wrong position on the wings, but when playing the number 10 role (which seems to be where he likes to play) then he just seemed to drift around not doing much at all. It's a shame, I really like him, but I think this season is pretty much make or break for him. I'd be looking at getting 10-15 goals at least out of him.

I think he tended to go missing on more occasions than he was in the wrong position.

Obviously, in the wrong position on the wings, but when playing the number 10 role (which seems to be where he likes to play) then he just seemed to drift around not doing much at all. It's a shame, I really like him, but I think this season is pretty much make or break for him. I'd be looking at getting 10-15 goals at least out of him.

suppose we all see it differently but i presumed johnson stripped him back for the last 10 games and said nothing silly, just work your socks off and help the midfield out as much as possible, don't personally think he was playing the number 10! but like you said id hope for 15 from him next season

JCH needs to become a bit more level headed and confident in front of goal and I agree with this.

Turner looks like he could be an excellent acquisition from the 45 minutes i've seen of him.

However, an experienced striker never goes a miss, someone who can come on, change the game from one chance. Shame they're expensive at this level. Last one we had was Hughes and we only got him because no-one else would touch him with a 10 foot barge pole.

Big Joe used to say you can't have enough strikers.

Some of Clarke Harris's finishing last season, eg Bradford and Mansfield, was amongst the best & most natural we've seen since Hughes.

I think he could do very well next season.

...but that's a woefully young and inexperienced 'strikeforce' with those 4.

Philliskirk is what, 23? JCH is 20 isnt he? Turner is 19? Bove just 18? And between them, they'll have under 50 league appearances between them.

Its weak.

Its got a promise of potential; potential that needs to be fulfilled on, but thats all it is right now. Its not proven, or reliable. Its youth, its inexperience and it is in reality really weak. We go into Sept and beyond with just those 4 young lads as the options up top and i'll be more than a little worried...

...but that's a woefully young and inexperienced 'strikeforce' with those 4.

Philliskirk is what, 23? JCH is 20 isnt he? Turner is 19? Bove just 18? And between them, they'll have under 50 league appearances between them.

Its weak.

Its got a promise of potential; potential that needs to be fulfilled on, but thats all it is right now. Its not proven, or reliable. Its youth, its inexperience and it is in reality really weak. We go into Sept and beyond with just those 4 young lads as the options up top and i'll be more than a little worried...

We've become used to weak, experienced strike forces.

If it's the choice between that again and potential I'd rather have potential.

Clarke Harris and Philliskirk should both get double figures if they stay fit, Turner and Bove could be anything, especially Turner who looked good the brief glimpse we had of him.

Despite what's been said I'll still be surprised if we don't sign an experienced striker.

Edited by HarryBosch

midfielders only got 15 goals between them (not including Harkins) last season. Strengthen that area, support the forwards and grab more goals themselves, and less pressure will be on the forwards.

If that's LJ's thinking, then I can see where he's coming from.

midfielders only got 15 goals between them (not including Harkins) last season. Strengthen that area, support the forwards and grab more goals themselves, and less pressure will be on the forwards.

If that's LJ's thinking, then I can see where he's coming from.

Why exclude Harkins?