Rumours and Transfers 2014

Interesting that you pick out Assombalonga when you could choose any of those below who were bought relatively cheaply and were successful and/or been sold on for a good profit

Aaron Mclean

Mackail Smith

Dwight Gayle

Rickie Lambert

Chris Dagnall

Grant Holt

Adam le Fondre

Probably because he is the most recent. You might want to have a look how much Peterborough paid for their strikers and how much Rochdale sold theirs for before you cite them as examples of being relatively cheap and sold on for good profit.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably because he is the most recent. You might want to have a look how much Peterborough paid for their strikers and how much Rochdale sold theirs for before you cite them as examples of being relatively cheap and sold on for good profit.

Good point about Rochdale, who probably received as much for the 4 players quoted as we did for Trotman and Spencer.

Interesting that you pick out Assombalonga when you could choose any of those below who were bought relatively cheaply and were successful and/or been sold on for a good profit

Aaron Mclean

Mackail Smith

Dwight Gayle

Rickie Lambert

Chris Dagnall

Grant Holt

Adam le Fondre

Didn't CMS and McClean cost around 300k each? Money we certainly don't have, others are good examples though. Rochdale have done really well over the last 5 years or so.

Didn't CMS and McClean cost around 300k each? Money we certainly don't have, others are good examples though. Rochdale have done really well over the last 5 years or so.

Gayle cost £500k, and see JohnnyPimp's response about the Rochdale players.

Gayle cost £500k, and see JohnnyPimp's response about the Rochdale players.

I wasn't necessarily talking about how much they were sold for, more that they have found good strikers for not much money. Lambert, Le Fondre, Holt and to a lesser extent Dagnall are considerably better than Trotman or Spencer.

I wasn't necessarily talking about how much they were sold for, more that they have found good strikers for not much money. Lambert, Le Fondre, Holt and to a lesser extent Dagnall are considerably better than Trotman or Spencer.

Ah right I see. They have all gone to prove themselves better than those 2, even Dagnall who I'd have here before you could even blink, I wouldn't let him take penalties though.

Those 4 have the potential to get 20+ goals between them next season and I'd be disappointed if they don't........so all we need is a striker who can get another 20 on his own and we've cracked it! Rochdale seem to have an uncanny knack of doing it as do Peterborough, I'm kinda hoping that LJ will pull a rabbit out of the hat

Read my original post again!

Clearly I state that Rochdale and Peterborough have an uncanny knack of finding strikers who score over 20 goals a season.....correct so far?

Now whilst I accept we don't have the money to buy a McLean or Mackail Smith (150k) and then of course have the financial balls to hold out for 1.5 or 2.5m it clearly shows my point

Lambert free transfer sold for 260k

Le fondre undisclosed

Dagnall free transfer left on free transfer

Holt 13k sold for 224k

These are far more up our street and prove my point that Rochdale are indeed good at finding prolific strikers at a lower league level

Read my original post again!

Clearly I state that Rochdale and Peterborough have an uncanny knack of finding strikers who score over 20 goals a season.....correct so far?

Now whilst I accept we don't have the money to buy a McLean or Mackail Smith (150k) and then of course have the financial balls to hold out for 1.5 or 2.5m it clearly shows my point

Lambert free transfer sold for 260k

Le fondre undisclosed

Dagnall free transfer left on free transfer

Holt 13k sold for 224k

These are far more up our street and prove my point that Rochdale are indeed good at finding prolific strikers at a lower league level

Spencer free- £350k?

Eaves free- £350k

Baxter free - £200k+

Combined made more than those from Rochdale. ALF went to Rotherham for an undisclosed fee, but it will have been less than £350k because thats how much Rotherham sold him for.

All of the above former oafc strikers will have scored a hat full in League 2, if given the opportunity.

FWIW CMS has currently cost Peterborough £375k, as he was brought for 15% of future money made.

What we aren't good at is finding a striker that scores 20+ goals at this level. TBF neither are Rochdale, they have spent 2 seasons at this level, we sell our strikers for more than they do.

We cant afford the prices Posh pay, but we make more than Dale do.

What we aren't good at is finding a striker that scores 20+ goals at this level. TBF neither are Rochdale, they have spent 2 seasons at this level, we sell our strikers for more than they do.

Apart from Porter. And Hughes would have got 20 if we hadn't binned him off.

Spencer free- £350k?

Eaves free- £350k

Baxter free - £200k+

All of the above former oafc strikers WILL have scored a hat full in League 2, if given the opportunity.

to begin with lets forget the fact that you dont actually have evidence of the tranfer fees involved above......are we dealing in the cold hard facts that the players I mentioned ALL DID score lots of goal at the level we are discussing or are we dealing in opinions?

Given that we need a striker who WILL score 20 goals as season rather than MIGHT then that leaves a massive hole in your arguement..........if its based on opinions then we might as well go with what we have as I think given time both JCH, Turner & Philly could score 20 goals a season given the service

Maybe LJ is right to look at other areas to provide ammunition in that case rather than the strike force itself???

These 'quality' players will just go and sign for Chesterfield, Fleetwood, Scunny, Bury if we don't pay the going rate.

If anyone can see their way to joining the regular contributors to PlayerShare, it would help towards paying the going rate. You know it makes sense! :aplayer1:

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20140313-sign-up-for-playershare-1419009.aspx

as above we are building our hopes up to much with Turner, he may turn out to be a great player but he hasn't played 90 minute's football yet so its hard to make an assumption when we haven't seen him.

Edited by 4froale

As a striker in this league you don't need to be technically gifted. You need a bit of speed (Turner) or a big strong physical threat which JCH needs to become. Look at players who were top scorers Ryan lowe Kevin Lisbie just physical threats. If JCH toughens up and does not go down easy then he will become a better player. With turner it's different he's unknown hopefully he uses his pace and gets on through balls . Let's see how pre season goes