LJ first full season review - marks out of 10

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Felt he was looking to be too cute/clever in pre season and the first half of the season, letting Croft go was an error IMO, messing about with Mellor, the Baxter nonsense, trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear with the likes of MacDonald/Rodgers/Schmeltz, constant tinkering with the team, the lineup and tactics vs Wolves away.

Some people don't like it when you pull stats apart but take out the Peterborough and Port Vale games and it's 15 goals from the other 21 home games, that ain't good.

On the flip side he deserves his share of the credit for the improvement seen with Brown, Tarkowski and Wesolowski, at times we played some of the best football we've seen from an Oldham team for a while and 7 away wins and 13 points gained from losing positions is decent.

I do think, even though it took until March and the changes in the formation and style of play for results to turn around, that he seems to be getting the hang of things, the January signings and changing the goalkeeper were key to that IMO, we were in desperate need of the experience and nouse that they provided.

He's still a bit too much style over substance at times for me, would like to see him putting most of his efforts into getting the first team right rather than worrying about the other stuff, hopefully he can be given some better tools to work with to try and get us looking at the other half of the table.

Cracking post IMO and is pretty much where i'm at too.

I was bitterly disappointed in Dickov abandoning the style of play seen in his 1st 4/5 months in charge; and he never recovered from it; failing to to ever find another style or tactic to replace it successfully.

I was disappointed in LJ too; having sat in the 1st meet the manager meeting with him and having been impressed with his views on football tactics and style of play. Having saved us from the drop in those last 10 games of last season, he looked to have taken that into his pre-season & start of season.

The Stevenage game, the games in & around that one and ultimately the Preston game (which i think was the one that he started to question himself after) saw us play some cracking stuff - the type of football he'd promised we'd see.

We haven't seen the same since easily the turn of the year; but it really could be argued it went well before that too.

The new tactics have made us hard to break down, resolute and solid - and ultimately this 10 game unbeaten run has saved our League One status from playing that way.

BUT - IMO, LJ needs to take stock now of his 1st full season and try to find the middle ground between the 2 main styles he's used ( i'm discounting the freak wolves away 4-6-0 farce one).

IMO, he needs to keep the framework of this current style - consistent and settled line-up, denfensive solidity and the stubborn resoluteness instilled across the side. BUT, he needs to add some of the early season creativity and style into it too. We need pace in attacking positions, we need players to get into attacking positions and we need some substance out wide, and we need a dependable goalscorer in the side.

If he can find that mix, he'll have cracked league one & up we'll rise.

If we continue in the same vein as we've finished; then we'll see exactly the same groundhog day season again - a dodgey flirt with relegation and a 15th - 17th placed finish.

He's had a 5.5 / 6 season for me; but with potential to go higher if he learns and acts on it.

We've finished higher up the league than last season. That'll do for me.

EDIT: Re: the whole 'he promised...' thing. Anyone who holds a football manager to a promise is mental.

I know how to do a statistical analysis.

I don't understand why anyone would choose to do one on the basis you discount our most exciting game of the season.

Because that is what you do if you are looking for a mean as opposed to a median average - the one-offs such as Peterborough are exactly that - a one-off and are not generally indicative of a pattern. Edited by TheBigDog

As I said, I know how to do stats.

Maybe I just don't get why people want to reduce our season to silly stats that mean we have to discount such an amazing match. Those are the matches that keep people going, not the 'mean'.

As I said, I know how to do stats.

Maybe I just don't get why people want to reduce our season to silly stats that mean we have to discount such an amazing match. Those are the matches that keep people going, not the 'mean'.

Leave that in, we still only scored 2 or more goals in 3/23 home games.

BP should have been an horrible place for away teams to play whilst we've had 3 stands, been anything but.

6 for me overall finished on a high at times the football was good at other times the football was not the best to watch. Saying tha games like Swindon, Gillingham, Colchester away we would of proberly lost a few seasons back.

Its was only his first season he admitted he got it wrong with Sidney, Rooney and the Latvian plenty of room for improvement but as he told me at the Lanzoni night a project in buidling.

Its was only his first season he admitted he got it wrong with Sidney, Rooney and the Latvian plenty of room for improvement but as he told me at the Lanzoni night a project in buidling.

For me his biggest signing mistake was not holding on to Smith. Doing well at Leeds in a higher division so think how good he could have been with LJ coaching him and playing in our division.

For me his biggest signing mistake was not holding on to Smith. Doing well at Leeds in a higher division so think how good he could have been with LJ coaching him and playing in our division.

With our lack of crosses?

He did try to keep Matt Smith. But when Leeds were offering 20 times the wage he was on it was always going to end as it did.

If that IS the case then I can understand why we did not resign him. I just got the impression that no great effort was made to keep him.

anyhow

LJ will be judged on how well he solves our scoring difficulty. It will make him or break him next season, but his ability to sort out our defence in the second half of the year does give me hope.

If that IS the case then I can understand why we did not resign him. I just got the impression that no great effort was made to keep him.

Based on what Corney and LJ said, it was a done deal before Johnson joined. While there were efforts to retain him it was always going to be "we will develop you as a player" v "but we can't get above 20% of the wage they're offering you".

I know where I'd be playing my football if I was Matt Smith facing those choices.

This is where the hate for porter puzzles me. He only did what matt smith did,albeit going via Scotland to get himself more money and oldham got nothing.

Porter said one thing and then did another.

Matt Smith told them the truth.

This is where the hate for porter puzzles me. He only did what matt smith did,albeit going via Scotland to get himself more money and oldham got nothing.

By moving to Scotland instead of England Latics were denied a substantial transfer fee, I'm not sure if that loophole has been closed now.

I understand that but it enabled him to maximise his income.

I think he had good money offers from several English clubs much closer to home so could have took one of them and helped Latics out financially, this is what rankles with the fans.

Edited by BP1960

I understand that but it enabled him to maximise his income.

I have less of an issue with him than I did but he did turn a win-win situation into a win-lose situation to the detriment of the club. If it was me who did that, I wouldn't expect people to like me.

With Smith we weren't going to sign him until he came up with the goods and then found others wanted to sign him when he did. There was no option for the club to demand any sort of fee if he wanted to better himself so it was different to Porter.

I'd rate LJ a solid 7 for first season as a new manager. Delivered us a higher league position than Dickov on a supposed lower budget so whatever your view, that's progress.

Standalone, LJ in the transfer market strengthened the team more that it weakened and when players didn't perform he was quick to weed them out even if he signed them. Rooney should have performed but his head wasn't right and was soon sent north, Montano would have been an asset but imploded off-field and Sidney failed to deliver; again offloaded quickly. The Latvian and a couple of the recent signings didn't pay off but they were overshadowed by LJ acquiring Lockwood, Wilson and Harkins - three massively out of favour, going nowhere and LJ got the best out of them. Lockwood and Wilson will form a solid defensive partnership next season.

Tactics - we started gung-ho and Stevenage away was hopefully the start of something exciting. As the frontline personnel suffered and dropped from the team, we became less incisive and LJ then overhauled the team making us much stronger defensively, which was an earlier weak link. The 10-game unbeaten run wasn't a fluke and should we get in a new LB and maintain the spine with a decent addition up top then next season we should progress more.

Could we have done better than LJ? Who knows? Some with promise wanted larger wages that would have been a detriment to playing budget and probably would have expected a bankroll to fund players.

Could we have done a lot worse? Definitely! Some of the names bandied around worried the hell out of me so even though LJ was an unknown rank outsider.

He has pleasantly surprised me in steadying the ship, bringing consistency to the playing squad, making us difficult to break down and sets us up for an interesting second season....should his transfer dealings pay off. A prolific striker is a must but how many past managers have found the same apart from the odd season.

Edited by Midsblue

Smith gave some of us the greatest day of our lives when we beat Liverpool, and earned us around £1 million along the way : he'll do for me...