Retained list announced (4 stay, 5 out)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Options taken on Wilson, Mellor, Kusunga and Winchester.

Contracts offered to Brown, Wes and Rachubka.

MacDonald, Millar, Gosset and Dunfield released.

Grounds set to leave.

No mention of Rodgers (out of contract) or Luke Simpson (presumably leaving) though.

Harkins, Worrall, Kissock, and Byrom have also left the club.

Edited by BP1960

Rodgers was on a 12 month deal with an option to extend.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20130712-rodgerssigns-910075.aspx

I assume we will renew unless there's a problem with his injury recovery.

There's potential in Rodgers, if fully recovered from his injury he's worth taking up the option IMO.

Im confused as to why people are surprised by the release of gossett, he didnt make a single squad this year despite being a pro and we named 2nd year youth players in the squad ahead of him

I'm prepared to give Mellor a final season to possibly break through....but not at left back!

nah,seen enough from him and Winchester the last 5 seasons,bit of a joke really keeping them on,I suppose we need a new groundsman,so I think between them they can cut the grass..

Options taken on Wilson, Mellor, Kusunga and Winchester.

Contracts offered to Brown, Wes and Rachubka.

MacDonald, Millar, Gosset and Dunfield released.

Grounds set to leave.

No mention of Rodgers (out of contract) or Luke Simpson (presumably leaving) though.

On the whole I am quite happy with the list.

Kusunga and Wilson came here to prove themselves and have shown up quite well. I can't see them being on major money. Winchester and Mellor just don't seem able to get it together for long enough to nail a spot down. Again, they will be on low-end contracts and fit in with LJ's skill ethic. They may well prove very useful squad members in a more experienced and rounded side.

I also expect LJ will be able offer Wes a substantial upgrade to his present deal. When he signed his last deal 2yrs ago Wes had suffered a couple of longish injuries (as he had before he arrived here). I think his current contract will have taken this into consideration. He has certainly proved his fitness this term. He may well be persuaded to stay.

No mention of Lockwood, is he on another 12 months?

I am very optimistic that LJ will be able to change tack a little this summer and go for quality over quantity. A genuine pacey winger who can consistently get around a full back, a goal scorer who has been scoring this season and midfielder who can reliably slot a forward pass towards a runner.

I am looking forward to the next 2 months with anticipation - as always.

So has Anton Rodgers been injured?

I thought he had just fallen out of favour with LJ and would automatically be sent packing at the end of this season. What has been his injury? Should we even be keeping him if he is fit?

Happy with the idea of continuity.

Kusunga and Mellor are the two slight surprises who are being retained, but both have their upsides which should make them useful squad members. The key for both being their versatility.

Gosset is the only surprise on the release list, although my guess is that he isn't quite physical enough to make it at League One level. He looks good on the ball however so I guess that he'll have a decent career.

I think the signings are a great move as Mellor and Winchester between them can cover every position apart from keeper and forward. it should therefore mean that the squad size can be smaller and money can be directed towards quality rather than quantity. Both players have also shown potential, it is just getting them to do it on a regular basis, which has been difficult with wes and Smith quite rightly in the way.

Slightly surprised with the Kusunga option being taken.

Had a feeling Winchester and Mellor would be offered fresh deals, even though there is a decent case for both to have been released; there's also one for keeping them as relatively cheap squad filler.

Glad MacDonald's option hasnt been taken; and no surprise on Millar and Dunfield. Gossett is one that on the face of it looks a tad harsh; as he earned rave reviews from his loan; but - again, er dont see him in training week in, week out.

Hopefully the 3 offered deals sign them up; especially Wes.

And finally, hope those being released or declining our new deals get fixed up somewhere else & i wish them luck for their careers.