Latics drop out of reserve league

Latics have decided not to play in the reserve league next season, on the basis that Johnson plans to have a smaller squad, and are going to arrange friendlies instead. Think this may prove to be a mistake.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20140519-no-more-reserve-league-1557956.aspx

Edited by Stevie_J
Beat me to it. Merged.

Hmmm.

I think the theory behind the decision is pretty sound. Smaller squad would mean less players available for the games anyways, meaning the reserves would essentially be made up of the youth side, meaning the youth side playing 2 games a week and having a heavier worload than the norm. I get that.

But - when this was tried under Sheridan, for pretty much the same reasons, it didn't work. He (Shez) & the club struggled to find enough clubs willing to play these behind closed doors friendlies; and all it meant was that the 1st team fringe players weren't match fit when needed to step up.

Time will tell next season if this is smart of stupid move i guess...

But - when this was tried under Sheridan, for pretty much the same reasons, it didn't work. He (Shez) & the club struggled to find enough clubs willing to play these behind closed doors friendlies; and all it meant was that the 1st team fringe players weren't match fit when needed to step up.

Exactly that. Kicked us in the dick good and proper last time we tried this...!

Exactly that. Kicked us in the dick good and proper last time we tried this...!

You could argue that the landscape of non-1st team football has altered since then with the formation of the u21 leagues for Cat 1 clubs under EPPP (of which there are a few in the area). The current reserve team fixtures seem to be irregular at best which is a shame in many ways and ideally the old, strong Central League would still be active...but it's not and there seems to be quite a lot missing in the structure they use at the moment.

I can only think of the couple of games where Danny Philiskirk got some confidence in front goal where it seemed worthwhile last year whereas it doesn't seem to be an arena for developing the 1st year pros that it should be.

The reserve team set up in the last few years has been a shambles, so in one way to come out of it may be for the best.

On the other hand we have seen before under Shez behind closed doors friendlies are not ideal either.

A return to a strong Central League is in my view the way forward and there is a suggestion the F.A. are looking to resurrect this with under 23 teams, plus the option of including 4 over age players in any match.

The Manchester Senior Cup could become a really good competition if all Premiership, Football League and non league clubs in the area were included using something like a Champions League group format.

I have suggested this to the Manchester F.A. but received no reply, they seem to me to be stick in the muds who are content to carry on with in my opinion a format which is neither use nor ornament.

Edited by BP1960

The reserve team set up in the last few years has been a shambles, so in one way to come out of it may be for the best.

On the other hand we have seen before under Shez behind closed doors friendlies are not ideal either.

A return to a strong Central League is in my view the way forward and there is a suggestion the F.A. are looking to resurrect this with under 23 teams, plus the option of including 4 over age players in any match.

The Manchester Senior Cup could become a really good competition if all Premiership, Football League and non league clubs in the area were included using something like a Champions League group format.

I have suggested this to the Manchester F.A. but received no reply, they seem to me to be stick in the muds who are content to carry on with in my opinion a format which is neither use nor ornament.

The Senior cup format has changed to suit Man U and Man City hence the two groups I did tweet Manchester FA the samething about merging it or allowing Football League clubs to enter Manchester Premier cup.

Got reply that it be put forward to there committee.

Sadly the standard ain't always there in reserve team football remember we played Walsall who sent a team of trialists up who main reserve team was playing elsewhere.

If we can get enough friendlies in it could work this.

Going to spend the money on the 1st team rather than having 6 or 7 players just playing in the reserves.

It's a (potentially) false economy though isn't it - if you lose 4 or 5 players to injury and suspension then without that depth you've nothing to turn to buy youth (high risk) or loan (high risk and high cost).

I'd not bet against a thread come Christmas complaining we're on our 8th loan player and we should be using our own... when in reality we'll not have anyone to call our own at that point.

I think the need for a reserve team changes throughout the season.

Starting from August the players are obviously coming off pre-season and then the club in straight into league, JPT and league cup fixtures.

By the time we have been knocked out the FA Cup comes along.

These present good opportunities for the fringe players to get a little game time.

After January though, it is the norm that we are out of these competitions, just leaving the league. I guess this is when the behind closed doors friendlies against clubs in a similar league position may take place.

Starting from August the players are obviously coming off pre-season and then the club in straight into league, JPT and league cup fixtures.

That raises another important point though... if you're coming in to the club for day one of training as the only person in your position (excluding some fringe youths) then you're not feeling the competition for places, the feeling you might lose out on a start on the opening day and that will take the edge off any player, no matter how hard-working or committed they may be!

It's a (potentially) false economy though isn't it - if you lose 4 or 5 players to injury and suspension then without that depth you've nothing to turn to buy youth (high risk) or loan (high risk and high cost).

I'd not bet against a thread come Christmas complaining we're on our 8th loan player and we should be using our own... when in reality we'll not have anyone to call our own at that point.

A lot of last seasons loans were CMs and no better than Winchester or Mellor

Could we enter a B team in the NWCL....?

A team called Stockport town have applied, a side called Blackburn Town looking to join seem to be more fans clubs wanting to join it can see that league getting bigger fact a few Welsh sides and a team from Northern Ireland wanting to join so could be a good move that.

A team called Stockport town have applied, a side called Blackburn Town looking to join seem to be more fans clubs wanting to join it can see that league getting bigger fact a few Welsh sides and a team from Northern Ireland wanting to join so could be a good move that.

I do hope you don't think I was serious

Which begs the question what is the point in signing them in the first place.

I seem to remember that in the case of Dunfield, it was to add some experience to the changing room. Can't speak for the rest of them though.

A lot of the other teams have quit the league now so there will be more friendlies available. There's only a handful of teams still in it!

Doesn't that tell the organisers of the league something is wrong?