FA cup 1973 Formby v Oldham

Wonder if your typical Manure fan knows how reaching the 1st round of the FA cup can be a football teams biggest ever game. It's a wonderful story, thanks for posting OAFCTOM

Would a typical Latics fan know either? I sure as :censored: don't know how that feels...?

I remember reading somewhere that they had the shell from an old Pickfords van used for a temporary stand for that game!

Sad that they've folded.My Sunday league team played in a cup final at their previous ground Altcar Road last season.Good set up there,but a local league team now use their ground after Formby decided to groundshare with Burscough last season.

I remember reading somewhere that they had the shell from an old Pickfords van used for a temporary stand for that game!

Sad that they've folded.My Sunday league team played in a cup final at their previous ground Altcar Road last season.Good set up there,but a local league team now use their ground after Formby decided to groundshare with Burscough last season.

I was there and the Pickfords van thing is true.

Some Latics fans were described by the great Jim Williams in his report in the Chron as "semi verminous riff raff" after their behaviour at the match....who is putting their hands up for that?! :-)

Not me, I wonder if any of them now over 40 years on are 'fully verminous riff raff'.

Remember it quite well. There was a pitch invasion at half time where a number of 'us' ran the length of the field to the temporary stand. Before the game had restarted for the second half, a fire was lit underneath but was quickly extinguished. The Yelloways coach I was on got bricked leaving the car park.

Funny period in form terms.

After winning at Formby we lost 4 successive league games, followed by winning 10 on the trot!

In the Cup , yes we won at Halifax in mid December, then drew Cambridge. It took two replays (second at Nottm Forest) to get through before we were dumped out at home to Burnley , 1-4..

But promotion ( as champions) at the end !