Seven or eight to come in?

Guest Scratch2000uk

Same old :censored:e, different season. I do wish we could hold on to a few of our better players for once, That's building for the future, selling them isn't,

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A club of our size which might have a FA Cup match say away at Mansfield with the next round being away, say at Liverpool, which a club our size then loses because it has sold 2 of its better players in the close season, meaning perhaps all that is left is the annual battle against relegation?

I'll flip that one, then : a club of our size who gets dumped out of the FA Cup in the 1st round away at Cheltenham and then has no money coming in because they have no cup revenue and they didn't sell players for a decent fee when they had the chance.

An annual battle against relegation is better than having no club to be involved in said relegation battle...

Unless he might be worth more in January when more clubs might be interested in him due to an excellent run of form? Smith is a damn good player!

See below... clubs will wait six months.

But he'd be worth less because he'd have less to run on his contract : see Dean Furman...

We did that with Scott McNiven and Andrew Holt when they were linked with Celtic and Liverpool. In the end, McNiven went to Oxford on a free (I think), and we got 150k for Holt from Hull.

It's a big risk keeping hold of him if teams are looking keen to bid. He's only a four goal season away from us losing the possibility of cashing in...

I think Lee is right its about the value now, with add ons it could be the way to go.

The lads acheived virtually nothing and hasn't scored a dozen goals yet and we're (allegedly) being offered a deal worth half a million quid and people say don't take it? (JCH)

And smith has a year left to run on his deal. Offer him an extension now with a £750k buy out clause. Iif he doesn't sign it, sell him now for the 400k+

But he'd be worth less because he'd have less to run on his contract : see Dean Furman...

Furman was crap and I said so over 12 months before he left on loan. I cannot bring myself to compare the 2-it is not like for like!

I just dont get this logic of accepting an offer because of a short period of contract. For an average player (league 1 standard) perhaps it is correct.

For a player who is Championship standard and I mean Smith not JCH why would a club not pay good money in January-teams do so?

Let us take for example the top 2 teams in our League in January-let us say (and this is just an example Play it Livo) Sheff Utd & Notts County who are both looking to strengthen and get closer to the £9M it is said that promotion to the Championship is worth. Half a million for a very decent central midfielder is good value?

If those 2 plus perhaps a Championship club (perhaps more than 1) want him then it might be £750K to get him. Ok I get it, take it then!

In a case such as that for a GOOD player it is the highest bidder that wins. We cannot always be looking to sell on the cheap because then you need probably twice as many sales to cover annual losses- That will lead to relegation, however good the manager is!

Furman was crap and I said so over 12 months before he left on loan. I cannot bring myself to compare the 2-it is not like for like!

I just dont get this logic of accepting an offer because of a short period of contract. For an average player (league 1 standard) perhaps it is correct.

For a player who is Championship standard and I mean Smith not JCH why would a club not pay good money in January-teams do so?

Let us take for example the top 2 teams in our League in January-let us say (and this is just an example Play it Livo) Sheff Utd & Notts County who are both looking to strengthen and get closer to the £9M it is said that promotion to the Championship is worth. Half a million for a very decent central midfielder is good value?

If those 2 plus perhaps a Championship club (perhaps more than 1) want him then it might be £750K to get him. Ok I get it, take it then!

In a case such as that for a GOOD player it is the highest bidder that wins. We cannot always be looking to sell on the cheap because then you need probably twice as many sales to cover annual losses- That will lead to relegation, however good the manager is!

Promotion to the championship is worth £9m????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you mean that or have I misunderstood this.

How much extra would we get from sky? Even with extra tv coverage and also sponsorship money from this it still feels quite excessive.

I was quoting from the Peterbro CEO on bbc sport £5M to £8M he said and he described it as a phenominal amount. Mainly extra away supporters money!

I was quoting at the top end as it would attract a lot more home support at somewhere like Sheff Utd than P'Bro achieve,

4,000 away fans paying an average of £20 = £80k x 23 games = £1.84m.

No way would we get many away followings near that. The average ticket price will be lower than £20 too.

I'd assume most of that extra income is from TV and sponsors.

Edited by opinions4u

4,000 away fans paying an average of £20 = £80k x 23 games = £1.84m.

No way would we get many away followings hear that. The average ticket price will be lower than £20 too.

I'd assume most of that extra income is from TV and sponsors.

If a Club CEO quotes the figure I tend to believe him rather than getting bogged down in the detail!

I was quoting from the Peterbro CEO on bbc sport £5M to £8M he said and he described it as a phenominal amount. Mainly extra away supporters money!

I was quoting at the top end as it would attract a lot more home support at somewhere like Sheff Utd than P'Bro achieve,

Fair does I did wonder where you got that figure from I would imagine a healthy proportion of that is through tv although if we got into the championship I would imagine we would average between 8-10000 due to new fans and bigger away followings.

Honestly? Philiskirk, even though he played deeper, was still more of a threat than JCH.

makes me wonder if some people actually watch the team play with tripe like this, philly probably through no fault of his own was largely redundant for large parts of games on our 10 match run, jch on the other hand was pivotal.

makes me wonder if some people actually watch the team play with tripe like this, philly probably through no fault of his own was largely redundant for large parts of games on our 10 match run, jch on the other hand was pivotal.

Sorry, JCH scored 2 in 10, Philiskirk scored 1 in 10. Both were hardly clinical. JCH did ok (literally ok) in holding the ball up and harassing defenders, but barely created a sniff at goal for himself. Philiskirk turning in the hole behind JCH (this happened rarely) actually popped a few shots off. JCH scored 6 goals all season, from 35-40 games(some sub). Thats rubbish for a striker, Philiskirk scored 12 from 45 games? Still pretty Mark Allotesque but he was utilised more as link up/midfield man. JCH really has a big step to make if hes to become a 20 goal a season man everyone already assumes he is.