Team Vs Hudds

As for todays game, James Wilson and Dieng superb at centre back, how long can we keep them for is the question?

The 4-3-3 didn't work and much better once changed to 4-4-2 with Winchester excelling wide right.

A 25 yard worldy from Clarke- Harris too, ignoring LJs instruction to get in the 6 yard box.

Wilson committed when he didn't need to on their goal but had been superb up until then. Dieng looks great. Elokobi really impressed me.

Winchester seemed to start in front of the back four and was ineffective. When he got shunted out to the right of midfield he looked great and his ball through to Wilson was a sublime part of Dayton's goal.

JCH is a mix of the frustrating and brilliant. Forte seems to only have 45 minutes in him. Intelligent footballer though.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for todays game, James Wilson and Dieng superb at centre back, how long can we keep them for is the question?

The 4-3-3 didn't work and much better once changed to 4-4-2 with Winchester excelling wide right.

A 25 yard worldy from Clarke- Harris too, ignoring LJs instruction to get in the 6 yard box.

Definitely looked better when switched to 4-4-2, Winchester has earned himself a starting spot at Colchester.

Stick with 4-1-4-1 away from home and then at home go back to the 4-4-2.

Sign up Elokobi and look for a winger in the loan market if possible then we should have a decent season.

Definitely need cover at CB Kusunga will be on international duty a fair few times and will spend a fair portion of the season on the treatment table.

I reckon LJ has dropped a major bollock with

Kusunga.

Llera for Kusunga would have left us with a very strong defence but it's all water under the bridge now.

Definitely need cover at CB Kusunga will be on international duty a fair few times and will spend a fair portion of the season on the treatment table.

Kusunga.

Llera for Kusunga would have left us with a very strong defence but it's all water under the bridge now.

Why has he? Kusunga has been excellent so far...

Kusunga.

Elekobi would fit the bill, looks strong and a good organiser.

Going off today though the Dieng - James Wilson partnership looks a very good and I would expect them to start at Colchester.

Edited by BP1960

Wilson committed when he didn't need to on their goal but had been superb up until then. Dieng looks great. Elokobi really impressed me.

Winchester seemed to start in front of the back four and was ineffective. When he got shunted out to the right of midfield he looked great and his ball through to Wilson was a sublime part of Dayton's goal.

JCH is a mix of the frustrating and brilliant. Forte seems to only have 45 minutes in him. Intelligent footballer though.

The goal resulted from Philliskirk weakly losing possession, catching our defence on the back foot and short of cover.

I was disturbed the number of times Kelly was caught in possession and his poor first touch, Jones just did not look fit to me and I assume he's still carrying an injury, he looks a big risk to start at Colchester if so.

Still not convinced with Brian Wilson and prefer Connor Brown at right back.

Edited by BP1960

Link to fishal for two minutes of highlights.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20140802-huddersfield-goals-1799958.aspx

1 minutes 35 seconds is when it happens.

The Winchester pass for the first goal is magnificent too.

How is it Clarke-Harris is so accurate from 20 yards + but not from 12 yards?

Link to fishal for two minutes of highlights.http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20140802-huddersfield-goals-1799958.aspx

1 minutes 35 seconds is when it happens.

The Winchester pass for the first goal is magnificent too.

Love the fact that the first 5 seconds of that vid you can hear a right good moan as we build for the first goal.

Someone who would rather "get it forward" than build the play. Some of fans have learned nothing about LJ and his side in the last 18 months

Edited by palmer1

Decent little game that. My 1st time seeing the new lot.

For me, we started 4-1-4-1 with Kelly sitting deep. I thought we looked poor playing that for the 1st 15mins or so. Kelly and Jones both looked poor; 1st touches were weak, passes going astray and neither here nor there tacking / pressing.

When it was switched to a genuine 4-4-2, suddenly they (Kelly & Jones) started to look better, especially Jones who actually then started to get a grip on the game. Moving Winchester out to the right in this change of formation helped, and he started to see a lot more of the ball. When he's in possession of the football, he's such a classy player and he oozes ability: his ball for the overlapping B Wilson was top draw.

The 4-4-2 suited us far better IMO.

Of the new players?

B Wilson - looks a nice & solid full back to me. His run and pull back for Dayton's goal was very good. Connor Brown in fairness didnt do much wrong in the last 10 games of last season, but i'm happy to have competition for that spot between the 2 of them. Wilson is the man in charge for me for now, his experience and calming nature is going to crucial in the young back line IMO.

Dieng - really; really impressed. So, ive seen him only play CB - and if i'd have not known; i'd have said he'd played that position all his life. Composed on the ball (obviously being a midfielder) but then strong in the tackle, in the air and his positioning couldnt be faulted. He's got pace too; which along with J Wilson who's also quick, means we were outpaced that many times through the middle. He looks a real find, he really does.

Jones - had a mare really 1st 15mins or so. Looked way off the pace, gave the ball away, 1st touch deserted him etc. then the switch of formation seemed to work wonders for him. Suddenly he looked a real CM. foot went in, passes landed and he got into the game. He also lasted the 90mins too. Got better as the game went on. Work in progress i think, as fitness improves so he will too by the looks of it.

Kelly - again, was having a shocker in the original formation, i dont think he held possesion once in those 1st 15mins? After the switch around he was a lot better and got more into the game. BUT - and this is only my opinion, Mellor looked a better bet when he replaced him and partnered Jones.

Again i'm going to give the benifit of doubt to him and hope he gets better as his fitness improves; but of the new ones; he was the most disappointing IMO.

Forte - didnt see much of the ball, but when he did, his pace and movement was pretty good. A couple of his pacey channel runs down the inside left position caused a real threat. Played right, i think he'll be decent addition.

Gros - good impact sub actually IMO. He won his headers, linked up with Philliskirk well and it was obvious their defenders didnt fancy going in against him: case in point the time he challenged and won the aerial ball and laid it off to the #9 who then wasted the chance. Not a starter i dont think, but as an option for the last 20 mins or so of games? Yeah, i can see the thought process with the big man.

Elekobi - a unit. A lack of comminication moment apart when him & Dieng both went for the same ball, i though he slotted in fine.

#9 - Rolando?? Tosh. Looked pish and i'd call that day for his trial, he looked a rabbit in the headlights and wasted 3 good positions with 1 :censored: shot and 2 surrenders of possesion. Not good enough.

Mills had an OK game, Dayton was Dayton - in & out of the game; some bits good (his goal) and other bits pants (losing the ball, not getting his crosses in, not beating his man) J Wilson was exactly the player he was last season; a cracking one. JCH doesnt half frustrate me; he had a :censored:e game really; and then he pulls out an absolute worldie of a finish - argh!!!

Philliskirk was pretty poor when he came on; looked off the pace, gave the ball away tamely for their goal, and didnt really get forward or link play; he just was 'there' not doing much: i'll put it down to fitness and hopefully its not a sign of the season he's on for? As i said above, Mellor did well in CM in place of Kelly - pings passes around, mopped up and broke forward; decent cameo.

Finally - MOTM and the game's stand out IMO; Carl Winchester. He had a cracking game; great pass throught to Wilson for the 1st goal, clever use of possession from his right hand side berth, a couple of skillfull surging runs, got his foot in, worked well in helping B Wilson out: a complete performance. He's surely played his way into the starting X1? Surely he cant be left out now? He might finally get the run of games that, IMO, will kick on his Latics career to where it should be...

Decent performace once the formation was changed; some real positives from that to take on...

That JCH goal was a thing of beauty. Some have said he's frustrating and can look disinterested during the game. A lot of quality strikers are like that though...70 minutes of WTF then 20 minutes of decent play followed by bang and 1 or 2 goals scored.

If he carries of scoring goals of that quality then well struggle to keep hold of him in January...or even sooner of he bangs a few goals in before end of August. If we survive this transfer window then my prediction of 15 goals by end of 2014 will be a certainty.

That pass from Winchester in the build up to Dayton's goal was unbelievable. Very good player..

If he can be stronger without the ball and put himself about a bit then he would be a starter every time. I would keep him away from the middle of the park until he can improve that part of his game.

Technically one of the best at the club imo

Edited by palmer1

He doesn't need to put himself about. Just give him the ball...

He does if he is playing central. He tends to disappear and get bullied. Out wide he will be fine and could do very well but he needs to win the ball for himself...