Team Vs Hudds

That pass from Winchester in the build up to Dayton's goal was unbelievable. Very good player..

I think he's a quality player but we haven't seen enough of him in a run of games. That pass was brilliant. We've got a very, very strong midfield in the making; strength & depth.

Philliskirk was pretty poor when he came on; looked off the pace, gave the ball away tamely for their goal, and didnt really get forward or link play; he just was 'there' not doing much: i'll put it down to fitness and hopefully its not a sign of the season he's on for?

I reckon it's confidence; he's down the pecking order a little and incumbent strikers either are affected or become more determined when new strikers are signed. He's a very decent and competent striker at this level. Again really pleased we have some depth up front. Quality number 9 would icing on cake.

I'm increasing in confidence for coming season as LJ deserves recognition for building a decent squad with strength and depth in defence, in midfield and almost there up front. I meant it when I said we could be within the top six come May...still mean it. Side shows balance 442 and players are playing with confidence. Low expectation generates determination to prove the doubters wrong!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He doesn't need to put himself about. Just give him the ball...

He got stuck in today IMO.

But he needs the ball. As i say in my above post, in possesion he just oozes class. He's the "best" technical player we've got.

...and if he doesnt get his run of 1st team leagur games now after the pre-season he's had - a. I'll scream and b. he might as well give up on his Latics career and move elsewhere...

Winchester was far and away the best player on the pitch......it seems to me that LJ has built a team full of 7 out of 10 players who will work hard and be pretty consistent if only we could find that Harkins/Baxter type to finish it off......Winchester could be that player, silky on the ball, can find a pass if only he had a bit more belief!

Dieng was class as well after a bit of a shaky start (along with the whole team)

Well done LJ (although I think it was more down to Tommy Wright) for changing the system to 4-4-2 and we scored 2 goals within 5 mins of that happening.

Rolando showed what he can do when he had the fullback to beat and 40 yards to run into he turned back and kept possession........no thanks

Forte will be a great threat once the team understand how to use his pace and look for the ball over the top

On a personal note was great to see Sean Jarvis there and have a catch up....top bloke

Alan Hardy looking fit and well

And Big Les Pogliacomi who was looking well......reckons he would have got a hand of JCH's goal!! Lol

Edited by Simoncorneyisgod

He got stuck in today IMO.

But he needs the ball. As i say in my above post, in possesion he just oozes class. He's the "best" technical player we've got.

...and if he doesnt get his run of 1st team leagur games now after the pre-season he's had - a. I'll scream and b. he might as well give up on his Latics career and move elsewhere...

I agree, but I have a feeling a conservative LJ will play JCH on his own up front at Colchester with Dayton and Forte on the flanks, Jones, Dieng and Kelly in central midfield, leaving no place for Winchester.

If we change formation at any time its LJs decision not Tommy who will offer advice. LJ is in charge.

Why do think it was Tommy Wright who decided to change it?

Probably because before Tommy Wright arrived there was no plan B.

Cos he was up in the directors box for the first 20 mins ran down and changes were then, of course LJ has the final say, I was pointing out that Tommy was the one to spot it from a better vantage point

Fair enough, it does not mean it was down to him. He could have been sent with that in mind. Im just saying dont assume.

Fair enough, it does not mean it was down to him. He could have been sent with that in mind. Im just saying dont assume.

Seriously?? You're still not accepting that it must have been down to Tommy seeing it? Maybe he was getting his half time sandwich order in eh?

God you sound like my missus when she can't admit that I'm right! Lol

I could have told you from the paddock that although 2 up, they had much better possession and it needed changing as JCH was very isolated and getting no support which happens a lot at home with that formation. I wouldn't need to send Tommy to higher ground to confirm it and I'm sure LJ didn't either.

I could have told you from the paddock that although 2 up, they had much better possession and it needed changing as JCH was very isolated and getting no support which happens a lot at home with that formation. I wouldn't need to send Tommy to higher ground to confirm it and I'm sure LJ didn't either.

Didn't 'send him' he started the game there....front row of the home directors section

TW to LJ; Gaffer I'm watching from up top and we are getting the run around we need to switch it to 4-4-2

LJ to TW; good spot I'LL change it now

TW to LJ; good decision gaffer

Yep my apologies I'm wrong!

Let's be honest you have not got a fookin clue? You are assuming aren't you? But if you need it.....you are right.

TW to LJ; Gaffer I'm watching from up top and we are getting the run around we need to switch it to 4-4-2

LJ to TW; good spot I'LL change it now

TW to LJ; good decision gaffer

Yep my apologies I'm wrong!

Well - pure fecking conjecture so i'll have a go.

Or:

LJ to TW: go and watch from upstairs. When i think we might need to make a change, i'll ask for you input.

LJ to TW : its not working, i'm going to change it

TW: yep, i agree

You dont know what was said, so stop tryin to make it out it was down to Tommy Wright. You just dont know do you - unless you're Lee Johnson or Tommy Wright; which, well, you're not are you...

No I'm not but it's fecking great telepathy given that TW started the game in the stand, there was no 2 way radio communication between the 2 and TW took it upon himself to go pitch side unless of course LJ had instructed him to spend 30 mins up top an then come down and report which is of course quite possible

Duxbury and Philliskirk in recent seasons have sat in the directors box in first half of games for a different view point so it's nothing new. Doesn't matter who suggested to change it, they decided to change it and it worked which is all that matters.

Link to fishal for two minutes of highlights.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20140802-huddersfield-goals-1799958.aspx

1 minutes 35 seconds is when it happens.

The Winchester pass for the first goal is magnificent too.

Did broady really refer to James Dayton as "Hames Dayton" on the PA or is it just me!?

After another good pre season (like last year) it will be interesting to see how the players cope after going a goal down in a game or in deed react after losing a game...

That was a key issue last year imo... A young teams confidence makes a lot of difference and it will be interesting to see how they cope seeing as though their confidence will be sky high after this per season

I'm sure LJ will find a way, but Winchester must not be dropped for that first game. Kelly and Jones looked good in a 2, however both their first touches at times were horrendous and we need the sublime technical ability of CW. He is looking forward with the ball finally and is capable of that final pass or shot that is priceless.

I would start with Forte and Winchester out wide in the 4-5-1 as it does work away from home IMO and Dayton in the 'hole'.

Mellor proved again he is an option from the bench and is a far better passer than the new signings.

JCH has replicated the same goal three times in pre season and missed a penalty!! Can we keep him?

Too many are being harsh on DP for their goal - he was looking to find his man with a pass and as a team we had too many players caught up field. He looked keen to link the play and I would be tempted to start with him. Forte's pace gives him the edge at Colchester at this stage IMO.

Special mention on the JCH goal for Mellor's direct run to support the attack in case of a cross. Really good to see from a CM.

Winchester was far and away the best player on the pitch......it seems to me that LJ has built a team full of 7 out of 10 players who will work hard and be pretty consistent if only we could find that Harkins/Baxter type to finish it off......Winchester could be that player, silky on the ball, can find a pass if only he had a bit more belief!

Dieng was class as well after a bit of a shaky start (along with the whole team)

Well done LJ (although I think it was more down to Tommy Wright) for changing the system to 4-4-2 and we scored 2 goals within 5 mins of that happening.

Rolando showed what he can do when he had the fullback to beat and 40 yards to run into he turned back and kept possession........no thanks

Forte will be a great threat once the team understand how to use his pace and look for the ball over the top

On a personal note was great to see Sean Jarvis there and have a catch up....top bloke

Alan Hardy looking fit and well

And Big Les Pogliacomi who was looking well......reckons he would have got a hand of JCH's goal!! Lol

Winchester was reading the game better than anyone else today, plenty of times he put himself in to space and his team mates failed to spot him! Seems to have grown a little too.

JCH apart from a brilliant goal was off his game today, I know he was on his own up front, but his first touch today was poor.

I like the way Elekobi took command of the defensive line when he came on, that is some impressive power unit and his experience would hopefully rub off on the younger lads.

All in all apart from first 10 - 15 mins a good display, it doesn't look to bad a team, if we can get a few wins under our belt early on it might be an interesting season.

Now when do we play Liverpool in the cup?