I always get a bad feeling at some stage during a run - I had it before this match, and we lost - so now I look on it as we will go into the next match without the pressure of maintaining the run. That has to be an advantage - and from what I read on here and heard on Latics Player, if we were going to lose a match I'm glad it happened like it did today.

I'm seriously looking forward to being in Boundary Park for the Crawley game - it's great to be able to project confidence ahead through to future games.

I think we'll kick on well from here. Plus, my home town team in Ireland just got promoted last night and I was there to see it.

Sweet.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cocking about with the team cost us today Dayton was never going to be the answer in a game were keeping possession was key - the Fact he's weak as piss doesn't help either. Disappointed with the result but it's about how we react now bad feeling he will dip into the loan market for another midfielder and panic. What we need is continuity and the belief we can go on a run again

If he goes for a loan player its not because he is pancing or because of todays result.

I don't think he believes that Winchester is strong enough fitness wise. I think he has already been looking for someone. Winchester obviously has some underlying issues that is being picked up by LJ and his staff. He isn't playing badly though....

Won't end up in the Championship for same reasons, despite some on this board resigned to already losing him in Jan.

Edited by palmer1

Cocking about with the team cost us today Dayton was never going to be the answer in a game were keeping possession was key - the Fact he's weak as piss doesn't help either. Disappointed with the result but it's about how we react now bad feeling he will dip into the loan market for another midfielder and panic. What we need is continuity and the belief we can go on a run again

I thought this when I saw the team sheet.

Winchester's ability to keep hold of the ball would have been invaluable in a game like this.

Still, our manager has got us to a point where I'm gutted we've not beat the league leaders by making more good decisions than bad.....

Winchester has arguably been the player of the season so far he played three games in a week before last and the only game he has looked a bit jaded in was Chesterfield where he was deservedly subbed. Like Moore with Mark Hughes johnson does not want to lose face and trots out the stamina chestnut

Winchester has arguably been the player of the season so far he played three games in a week before last and the only game he has looked a bit jaded in was Chesterfield where he was deservedly subbed. Like Moore with Mark Hughes johnson does not want to lose face and trots out the stamina chestnut

I must admit as much as Winchester has impressed me this season, I dont think he has been our best player, in fact Both Wilsons, Forte, Jones, Philly and Kelly have been better than him consistently. Of course this is only my opinion.

I must admit as much as Winchester has impressed me this season, I dont think he has been our best player, in fact Both Wilsons, Forte, Jones, Philly and Kelly have been better than him consistently. Of course this is only my opinion.

It's nice that our best player is a matter of opinion rather than a no brainer for the first time in years

(Or it would be if it wasn't for the fact that it's Winchester by a :censored:ing mile :grin:)

In the last 5/6 games I've seen Winchester he has been excellent and has been one of our better players but he has faded in every single game no question.

Didn't Dickov mention similar in the past about CW?

Why would he lose face?

An enthralling contest without either side throwing everyone forward or creating dozens of chances. We matched League One's supposedly best side. We'll be just right come the end of the season.

A few niggles with the performance, such as over-emphasising the right wing. Our deliveries all game were really poor. I thought Kasunga was a liability at the back and Poleon, though he gave us piercing pace, needs a slap and Johnson stopped short of doing so. We had them pinned in their own half for twenty minutes and the lad wanted the headlines. A superbly hard-fought match. We worked tirelessly (as ever) but simply couldn't get a proper shot off. It's a pity but the signs are so encouraging.

In terms of the atmosphere: Faultless. One of the best for a long, long time. We had City supporters stopping us and applauding our support. You can only smile and be proud when that happens.

On to the FA Cup. Let's respond. If we replicate our performance Orient will be well and truly booted out of the competition next Saturday.

It's quite a bizarre feeling coming out of a game after a loss still feeling pretty upbeat. I thought aside from the goal we matched them for the entire game, and played some lovely football at times without creating too much. You can see why they're top, they aren't a class side like Southampton or Norwich were at this level but they know exactly what to do to win games at this level. I thought they did very well to keep Forte quiet.

I've got nothing negative to say about Bristol. Lovely city, friendly people, good team

Some really unfair comments IMHO opinion about the tactical decision to leave Winchester out.

How it cost us a game we had been in complete control of (whilst admittedly not creating much!!) for half an hour is beyond me.

You could see from the way City started the game that they were desperate to stretch us wide - and early! Johnson had clearly tried to address this by having Dayton and Jones balancing our midfield in those wider areas that had been exposed in recent games.

Once we settled we were the better side, had more of the ball, and were on top of a good side who we gifted a goal to by switching off at a set play.

That's why we lost the game, a defensive mistake, pure and simple!!

As an aside, Kasunga should also have buried his free header just before the break!!

If he goes for a loan player its not because he is pancing or because of todays result.

I don't think he believes that Winchester is strong enough fitness wise. I think he has already been looking for someone. Winchester obviously has some underlying issues that is being picked up by LJ and his staff. He isn't playing badly though....

Won't end up in the Championship for same reasons, despite some on this board resigned to already losing him in Jan.

We are still one player short, even though some may see any move to bring some1 in as panicking, but in LJ I trust. Well done to all who travelled down!

We are still one player short, even though some may see any move to bring some1 in as panicking, but in LJ I trust. Well done to all who travelled down!

Alrighty, then..

Not wanting to blow our own trumpet, but blimey our fans were brilliant today.

The team playing for us isn't that bad either. They all looked gutted at the end of the match - I hope LJ reminded them of how good they've been recently and emphasised how little a set-back today's result is.

We go again.

All in all not lost ground as plenty of results went our way

This. Had we won, we would have been third. Still, not disgraced and very much in it.

I have a brizzle supporting mate who was sending me texts throughout. For the fist 10 mins, it was "we're all over you, only a matter of time" to slightly worried at half time, we just cant live with your midfield. Its like watching "zip ball".

Just before Brizzle scored his text was :censored: off Oldham just for making us look like Wimbledon.

His summation was that a point was a fair result and the win flattered them. One of the best midfield performances he has seen in the last 10 years. Certainly, the best at this level. Just need someone to convert. However, winning pretty doesnt always cut it and winning ugly as per City today is what makes the difference in getting out of this :censored: league.

Edit: also commented on how the fans made the Brizzle supporters uncomfortable. Got on his nerves and never stopped throughout.

Edited by L1onheartNew

What's the case with Poleon? No goals in 10 league games, and he's had plenty of chances. Been far better all round than in front of goal.

Is he really a winger we just hope might suddenly find some composure?

The case is that he's no striker.Just being utilized in the last 20-25 minutes of games for his pace against tiring defenders,whilst at the same time protecting Forte by subbing him.

I'm honestly not sure what he is?

Striker? Winger? 100m sprinter?

He has pace. Searing pace. And, he has a low centre of gravity when in posession, which should make him hard to get off the ball.

But, he doesnt look to have a 'footballers brain' a la the man he's "replaced" - JCH. His finishing is pretty loose and hit & miss, and hasn't really impacted a game either starting or coming on as a sub.

I mean, even his 1 goal so far, in the JPT, he couldnt miss and was such a simple chance, it hardly tells us anything.

Jury is very, very much still out on him. And - at this time; i'd prefer the Wilkinson of his last 2 games for us, to the Poleon of the same.

A Leeds fan I know says he is wicked quick but couldn't score if the goal was a mile wide.

Not sure where his billy big balls mentality has come from, he hardly ripped up trees at Leeds.

I was excited when we signed him but right now would rather have a fit AMS coming on.

LJ needs to stamp on this one quickly.

Well we lost against the best team to lose against. We are not competing against them and strangely still 2 points off 3rd.

Poleon and Winchester suffer from the same problem in what has become a slick passing side. They both don't know when to pass and they both can give the ball away. Don't get me wrong Winchester is by far the better player and has done some delightful stuff but he is not reliable and still can't go the distance either mentally or physically - I don't know which.

We have to give Poleon the benefit of the doubt because LJ has made some brilliant signings this season BUT he is allowed to get some wrong and his reaction after the match suggests he might be thinking he has. Unfortunately Dominic seems to have both an attitude and a 'losing his head when striking' problem. My thought is that Bove would have scored most of the good chances he has missed.

Well we lost against the best team to lose against. We are not competing against them and strangely still 2 points off 3rd.

Poleon and Winchester suffer from the same problem in what has become a slick passing side. They both don't know when to pass and they both can give the ball away. Don't get me wrong Winchester is by far the better player and has done some delightful stuff but he is not reliable and still can't go the distance either mentally or physically - I don't know which.

We have to give Poleon the benefit of the doubt because LJ has made some brilliant signings this season BUT he is allowed to get some wrong and his reaction after the match suggests he might be thinking he has. Unfortunately Dominic seems to have both an attitude and a 'losing his head when striking' problem. My thought is that Bove would have scored most of the good chances he has missed.

I don't think I could disagree any more about Winchester, he and Jones are the two most comfortable players we have on the ball, I've hardly seen either give it away this season.

As above, you have grouped the two least similar player into the same bracket and backed up your point with the usual moan about his inability to last more than 60 mins. Winchester's strength is without doubt his ability to retain possession, often with some stunning footwork allowing him to pass the ball on. Unfortunately, this desire to retain the ball at all times sometimes means he doesn't look to play enough slide rule passes, of which we know he his more than capable.