First question - are you pleased CE is no longer coming to Oldham Athletic?

BBC in the know or just trying to trick him into answer positively?

That's what i thought when i first heard it. But then he said he will stick with the decision what the board make? so has there been a decision made

Edited by chris_oafc

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LIBERAL Democrat Parliamentary candidate for Oldham East and Saddleworth Richard Marbrow said it would be a mistake for Oldham Athletic to sign convicted rapist Ched Evans.

Mr Marbrow said: Oldham Athletic should not sign Ched Evans. Like many people I spent Boxing Day watching a live football match in the lower leagues with members of my family. The ground was packed with kids and they idolise and adore the players. NOT THE LATICS THEN!!!!!!!

A convicted rapist is not a good role model for kids to see on a football pitch at a family-oriented club.

This is the last thing Oldham needs to be associated with. Oldham Athletic should steer well clear.

Liverpudlian whose only job outside politics appears to be a "crew member at McDonalds" never won an election. Wow got to love these politicians.

Seriously when LD and Lab politicians demonstrate this kind of zeal when dealing with former criminals you have to wonder where society is going. We just need the Tories to offer to put him in stocks outside BP and UKIP to come out and say Welsh people shouldn't be taking English jobs anyway and we'll have a full house of nutters.

If the announcement say's an agreement is in place that if Cheds case review goes in his favour then a contract will be signed and that a preliminary agreement has been signed, what would the feelings be?

Ched might be very old by the time he clears his name. My feelings have changed slightly. I hate him more after reading his awful "Justice for Ched" website. He's clearly going after the victim and her friends and family. This is not the way to establish your innocence in such a case. For that alone, and regardless of whether a future court finds that the conviction was unsafe, I still hate him and want him never to play football again. It's true he's badly advised (his lawyers are milking him dry via the website and other ruses) but he's responsible for taking that advice. He's offereing money to anyone who will help him further sully the reputation of the victim. He's a grubby little :censored: who deserves nothing from anyone.

"The club know our stance..." Suggests that sponsors have been consulted by the club. In which case, the club clearly had some foresight of the reaction they're supposedly so surprised by.

Am I right in thinking that the players father in law has some money? So surely, regardless of fans opinions and the publics opinions too, the club have weighed up if we lost sponsors how are we going to recoup?

I believe their is a judicial review of the case which could in 35 weeks time or sooner, could possibly cast doubt on the conviction if not overturn it. Are the club playing a dangerous waiting game on a possible reversal, possible he can produce under the pressure he will be under. Possibly be worth some cash if cleared, if has a good goal ratio and can be sold on with profit. Surely our solicitors/sponsors would have investigated and advised?

Someone also suggested the FA/PFA involvement in this and our stance on montano. Are we being asked to "help" this player?

I'm sure it will all come out in the wash and I look forward on Saturday to fight for my seat when those addition 16,000 plus fans who sign the petition show up who possible have never been to BP or know where we are.

We just don't learn with regards to the PR of it all do we. I could have been handled a lot better. I know they say there is no bad press but yikes.

Edited by underdog

Do I think the conviction was safe? No.

Does this matter? No.

Has Ched served his sentence? Yes.

Do I think this matters? Yes.

Was he released early? Yes.

Should he be allowed to work again? Yes.

Should OAFC offer him a job? This is of course the difficult one. Given that I think he shouldn't be hounded out of work in the way he has been I suppose the answer is Yes.

Should OAFC have handled this better? Most certainly. Firstly the Board should have considered all the angles and supported the idea 100%. Secondly the Board should have made sure LJ supported the decision 100%. Thirdly they should have spoken to the club sponsors. Then and only then if everyone was on board, they should have signed him and made the announcement.

What should they do now? Sign him! To give in to the mainly ill informed over reactions that I have read on this thread would be wrong. There are arguments for and arguments against which I respect but mainly there is the sort of mass hysteria which these instant forms of communication promulgate.

He hasn't served his sentence, he's out on licence and could potentially be returned to prison if he break any of the conditions. He's also listed on the sex offenders register.

He hasn't served his sentence, he's out on licence and could potentially be returned to prison if he break any of the conditions. He's also listed on the sex offenders register.

What are the implications of being on the sex offenders register playing for a football club?

I'm sure it will all come out in the wash and I look forward on Saturday to fight for my seat when those addition 16,000 plus fans who sign the petition show up who possible have never been to BP or know where we are.

They're still entitled to voice an opinion on this - that's part of the problem, the club has left our little bubble and stepped out in to the real world.

What are the implications of being on the sex offenders register playing for a football club?

A disqualification from working with Children is perhaps the main one (may not be an automatic condition). Given that we have a youth team and children attending matches, measures would have to be put into place to monitor him and ensure compliance.

Would like to understand the PFA's role in this fiasco.

Taylor's statement yesterday was strange, wanting their member to be rehabilitated, the club he signs for needs to be 100% committed, making it public that a club from league 1 was interested, but he would not be attending the press conference.

Pure conjecture but what happens if the PFA had pushed for the signing - they wanted him to play again, worked with the club to make it happen. Club said they would do with the PFA backing (staying strong together). They get a deal signed and then the club get cold feet when Taylor states unwilling to be present at press conference. Club say they are going to pull out of deal. Taylor responds by issuing press release. It is the 100% committed part that makes me wonder if Taylor was making it harder for the club to pull out. It quickly came out it was us that were the league 1 club involved.

Anyway pure conjecture and conspiracy at its best! Just unsure what the PFA role has been with the club.

Edited by aberdeenlatic

They're still entitled to voice an opinion on this - that's part of the problem, the club has left our little bubble and stepped out in to the real world.

I agree, but should the club be swayed on this? It's an interesting factor to have. Possibly not true fans hence me saying public opinion higher up that post but it does speak volumes on how the public public feel about this player and that he shouldallowed to play in a professional team, or at lest until conviction quashed/overturned.

A whole lot of :censored:e going into the mix.....what a mess this player is going to bring on whichever club sign him and what involvement the PFA are having if he is paying his dues too in supporting his career.

Football.....it's a funny old game

Edited by underdog

Dear me the Greater Manchester police commissioner Tony Lloyd says shouldn't sign him...... does this chap not think he needs to get his own house in order and beyond criticism. Wasn't even sure the bloke existed. Interesting comment from a police related person ....rehab of offenders?

Agreed, I don't think we should sign him but it seems strange that we have all these politicians giving their opinions. In which case they should be legislating or putting pressure on the FA and PFA to provide rules.

Dear me the Greater Manchester police commissioner Tony Lloyd says shouldn't sign him...... does this chap not think he needs to get his own house in order and beyond criticism. Wasn't even sure the bloke existed. Interesting comment from a police related person ....rehab of offenders?

Indeed, when the club start taking lectures from a former MP forced to apologise during the expenses scandal then it really is time to give up. Edited by Wozzer