inspection vs Barnsley - GAME OFF

If they called it off at 5 they'd be criticised for people travelling. I'd imagine they'll know if they can get it fit and ready by 12.

Not that much help to me as I'm already en route!

Are they any other events than football called off for the surrounding area? You go out in the cold, you risk falling over...

There was a case recently near where I live of a man who walked down steps at a pier at low tide and slipped on seaweed - he sued the council and won! The notion that a match could be called off because someone might slip on the way to the ground infuriates me - I was/am really looking forward to the match today... But there are always idiots out there ruining it for everyone else.

Rant over.

Council should have already had it gritted.

However, if they haven't and it is an ice rink - there are lots of elderly supporters who are already bad on their feet and I won't be overly disgruntled to see them safe and sound.

At the risk of sounding ageist - which I am not - can't the elderly people take responsibility for their own safety? Isn't it ageist to imply that they can't? If they have been around the block a few times surely they'll know when to stay at home or get a friend to accompany them - rather than have the match called off? If I was elderly I would rather listen to the match on Latics Player than have no match at all... Edited by Nohairdontcare

Barnsley's Twitter account references "player safety".

Not much point having under soil heating then.

Barnsley FC @bfc_official · 10m 10 minutes ago

Tonight's match against Oldham has been postponed due to concerns over Player safety. Full statement to follow on http://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk