FULL TIME! OLDHAM 2 SWINDON 1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The most pleasing aspect of tonight was the fact we scored 2 goals when on top, how often do we give teams an early run around and still can't score. If I was a Swindon fan I would be gutted to be going home with nothing from the game, they are as good a side as I have seen this season and the number 4 was utter quality.

The pressing early doors was immense didn't let a very good side settle and had them panicking. The shape never looked as good when we lost Wilkinson, then (as is customary) we tried to shut up shop too early. They probably could have got at least another goal but then again so could we.

Thought Jones and Mills were excellent ran themselves into the ground and while we tired (understandably with the pressing first half) the backs to wall effort was excellent.

One of the most enjoyable 3 points in a long time

Without putting a dampener on it, I think the second half proved we're a fair way away from them in terms of quality. It was a hard fought win (the kind we've had to grind out to stay in the division before now) but it was a slog. I was convinced they'd win it after they got the first and more convinced they'd equalise late on. Deserved a bit of luck after Doncaster etc...

Murphy was never going to be ideal in the lone striker role. I watched him closely though...off the ball, he's going to be slated as lazy but you can see the lights turn on as soon as we gain possesion...

If his fitness grows, his off the ball workrate should and i think he could be a top signing...

He was :censored:e but, considering he was part of the side that pulled off such an excellent win, he is a hero...

Have to agree. Movement looked good on occasions but looked understandably off the pace include backing out of a 50/50 challenge in front of the main stand.

To be fair to Murphy, that was one hell of an ask to come on so early and try to make an impact.

I was as gutted as anyone that Wilkinson had to come off, as he'd started like a house on fire along with the rest of the team. I think he dodged a bullet though not having to endure 60 minutes of non-stop pressure from an excellent side.

Murphy will probably start on Saturday and we'll get a decent idea of what he'll contribute between now and the play-offs!

If we are to finish in the top 6 we will look back at tonight as one of the most important wins of the season.

The players will sleep well tonight they grafted like I haven't seen an Oldham graft since Iaim Dowie was in charge. For me in the second half showed who the leaders in the team are Elokobi Kelly Jones B Wilson these are the experienced players in the team and they came to the fore. Knowones mentioned it yet but Jake Kean made a couple of big saves in the second half inparticularly a 1 on 1 towards the end.

Strap the seat belts on this is going to be a white knuckle ride if tonight is anything to go by edge if the seat stuff right to the end. I also hope Swindon go up because for the middle half an hour of that game we didn't see the ball. By far the best team I've seen us play this season but we won and another test passed.

Murphy looked like a striker who isn't fully match fit and was only expecting to play 30 or so minutes against a tiring defence who was forced into having to play more like 80 minutes. Him, Mellis, Winchester and Forte all ran out of gas, LJ needs to be using his bench and his squad to ensure that we have everyone firing on all cylinders for the 1350 minutes of the regular season left plus as much as 330 minutes of play-off football that we will hopefully have.

He showed in his brief cameo against Scunny and in patches tonight that there is a player in there, no defence will like playing against him and any of Forte/Wilkinson/Poleon.

I'm not one to judge a player after only a few games, but anyone saying that he is crap based on tonight's performance needs to have a long hard look in the mirror.