New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James Beattie was at Yeovil

Yates odds are shortening. 4/1 when I last looked.

Why am I reminded of Dave Penney?

We could do worse than Beattie, after a slow start he did a good job with Accrington in turning them around and keeping them up.

Yates on the other hand would concern me, while he did very well getting Cheltenham to back-to-back playoff finishes he had clearly lost the dressing room at the end of last season and fans were unhappy that he was kept on. This continued into this season and not surprisingly he was sacked.

Saw them play a few times when I lived in Gloucester. Their style, despite not being ugly, was fairly unexciting and dour. One plus was he managed to bring in young talented loan signings (Butland and Garbutt to name two).

Surely it's best to appoint now/shortly, the new manager then has the opportunity to see what we have and understand what we need for next season. Throw in the potential for a bit of 'new manager bounce' to keep the supporters interested and it's a no brainer. The application list isn't going to be much different in June is it?

Neil Redfearn.

Mark Yates is rather uninspiring on the face of it but the man has built a respectable record. Seems committed and in it for the long haul, quite young, able to get a winning side together on a limited budget. Might not be exciting but Rotherham fans probably said the same about Steve Evans, Swindon won't have about been too impressed by Mark Cooper either.

Beattie I'd be open to, but you feel like it could as easily be a disaster as it could be a masterstroke. Irvine won't happen.

I'm past caring now, just want a manager in because it's so depressing watching this decline. It's ironic how Barnsley are the perfect example of how we should've approached bringing in a new manager.

Whoever it is I don't want see another dossier man, a few tips on the opposition are ok, but its going too far these days for me.

Take a leaf out of the World Cup cricket where the best team managers are letting players express themselves without bogging them down forever analysing their faults,

Edited by BP1960

We could always try and poach Keith Hill. He does wonders on the budget he has, and is always saying that Rochale are a L2 club just enjoying being in this division. He admits that there ambition is just to survive. I know some would say that it's our ambition as well, but I would hope that he could put a team together (with a little more cash than he has now) which could have a realistic chance.

Understand Yates and Sellars are among those to have made the short-list, the latter in line to be first-choice offer.

Not sure about the grief with the former. Took Cheltenham to play-offs twice on a low budget. Proven at non-league too, so would have an eye for talent at that level which we need for finding and developing talent under radar. Was at Kidderminster and Cheltenham for quite a while, a good sign too.

And we're suddenly against dossiers and qualifications, yet the managers with them are the ones succeeding in the game at present - and our recent manager, the most qualified we've had, took us higher than we've been (playing good football too) in recent times. It would be nice though to have a manager not planning his escape so soon after signing a long term deal - but the ffp rules evidently made him put himself and his managerial career first, understandably. If we slid down table and then L1 is stronger next season, and it's even harder for us to get good enough players to challenge with ambition as seems likely, he suddenly wouldn't have quite as much of the reputation as the next big thing.

Sellars a good fit on paper. Qualified, experience of developing younger players (and contacts) at City, and working with older/reserve/fringe players at Wolves. Has worked close to quite a few managers, and as an ex-player should have quite a few club contacts also. Will have learned a fair bit. Ready to have first go at the top role.

We could always try and poach Keith Hill. He does wonders on the budget he has, and is always saying that Rochale are a L2 club just enjoying being in this division. He admits that there ambition is just to survive. I know some would say that it's our ambition as well, but I would hope that he could put a team together (with a little more cash than he has now) which could have a realistic chance.

Agreed but unlikely.

Oh for a manager that plays with two up top at home, has a winger in the team and motivates the players to believe in themselves.

Again on Saturday too many players hiding... Confidence must be at an all time low.

We are not expected to beat MK Dons so why not just go for it on Tuesday?

Understand Yates and Sellars are among those to have made the short-list, the latter in line to be first-choice offer.

Not sure about the grief with the former. Took Cheltenham to play-offs twice on a low budget. Proven at non-league too, so would have an eye for talent at that level which we need for finding and developing talent under radar. Was at Kidderminster and Cheltenham for quite a while, a good sign too.

Sadly if his last season and a half at Cheltenham are anything to go by then I'd expect him to be another Penney.

We could do worse and he has strengths, but I'd rather go for a well qualified first time manager.

And we're suddenly against dossiers and qualifications, yet the managers with them are the ones succeeding in the game at present - and our recent manager, the most qualified we've had, took us higher than we've been (playing good football too) in recent times. It would be nice though to have a manager not planning his escape so soon after signing a long term deal - but the ffp rules evidently made him put himself and his managerial career first, understandably. If we slid down table and then L1 is stronger next season, and it's even harder for us to get good enough players to challenge with ambition as seems likely, he suddenly wouldn't have quite as much of the reputation as the next big thing.

Sellars a good fit on paper. Qualified, experience of developing younger players (and contacts) at City, and working with older/reserve/fringe players at Wolves. Has worked close to quite a few managers, and as an ex-player should have quite a few club contacts also. Will have learned a fair bit. Ready to have first go at the top role.

Sellars strikes me as another youth development coach when I think we need a man manager.

I Know that there isn't even a shortlist yet!

They are still looking through the applications and the list is down to about 15-20 potential candidates that they are looking at seriously, the current situation seems to be that they are talking to people who have had direct dealings with those on the list to get feedback, checking through the claims made on CV's before arranging interviews. It's clear all 15-20 won't be interviewed.

The appetite seems to still be for Dowie however sadly (from my point of view) Richard Money isn't on the list

The tubthumping days are gone, move on.

You're a modern day thinking Peter Moores cricket man I assume?

His negative type are all thats wrong with sport IMO.

Me, I'm an Ian Botham and Rick Holden man, watch out, our ideas are making a comeback.

Edited by BP1960

This "back in my day, old school" approach that you're advocating BP, just doesn't work anymore. Players like being told what to do, given a sheet of who to mark and what their moves are, if you don't they'll be lost.

LJ is exactly the time of person that chairman and agents will have loved. Mock his dossiers and powerpoints, but that will have sold Latics to so many of his signings. He looked prepared and like he had a plan, and agents will bloody love that. Not a chance they'd let one of their players go to a manager who relies solely on banging heads together and being a bit of a motivator, it just doesn't work anymore, and there's not a chance it's coming back. Sherwood will show that, long term. Villa might get some results in this honeymoon period, but it wont last.

Your Peter Moores analogy is misguided too. Atherton wrote in the Times last week that Sri Lanka, for one, use data and stats more than England, and Moores has in fact used less of the stuff than Flowers and Strauss - who made us the best team in the world. Stats are hepful if they're used correctly, it gives you an advantage.

They are still looking through the applications and the list is down to about 15-20 potential candidates that they are looking at seriously, the current situation seems to be that they are talking to people who have had direct dealings with those on the list to get feedback, checking through the claims made on CV's before arranging interviews. It's clear all 15-20 won't be interviewed.

The appetite seems to still be for Dowie however sadly (from my point of view) Richard Money isn't on the list

But is that coming from Corney's end, who I presume knows you pass the message on to here and is fairly savvy..? My info is from the other angle..but don't know how many have advanced so you could be right. 15-20 is still a short-list from 120 though!?

Maybe we'll have a statement to say there's a short-list statement on the way... ;-)

Doing due dilligence again in other words :grin: