New Manager thread.

This "back in my day, old school" approach that you're advocating BP, just doesn't work anymore. Players like being told what to do, given a sheet of who to mark and what their moves are, if you don't they'll be lost.

LJ is exactly the time of person that chairman and agents will have loved. Mock his dossiers and powerpoints, but that will have sold Latics to so many of his signings. He looked prepared and like he had a plan, and agents will bloody love that. Not a chance they'd let one of their players go to a manager who relies solely on banging heads together and being a bit of a motivator, it just doesn't work anymore, and there's not a chance it's coming back. Sherwood will show that, long term. Villa might get some results in this honeymoon period, but it wont last.

Your Peter Moores analogy is misguided too. Atherton wrote in the Times last week that Sri Lanka, for one, use data and stats more than England, and Moores has in fact used less of the stuff than Flowers and Strauss - who made us the best team in the world. Stats are hepful if they're used correctly, it gives you an advantage.

Good post.

Note how rugby - which could easily be simplified to 'run with it more or kick further up pitch (...get it forward!) and tackle harder (get into 'em) - has moved from the dugout to the box, with laptops etc also.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An Oldham fan on Twitter who works for the Express and Star, John Tompson, says interviews started last Thursday and an appointment is likely soon.

Also said one of the names interviewed and in the 'final stage' is in the bookies frontrunners.

Sellers would be a huge let down, I don't want someone coming in and trying to bring City Development team in on loan.....so far they most have been :censored:e!

2 more defeats on the spin and we are in a relegation fight, we got away with a rookie once but we had a striker in red hot form, do we want to roll the dice on another rookie with no striker in form?

An Oldham fan on Twitter who works for the Express and Star, John Tompson, says interviews started last Thursday and an appointment is likely soon.

Also said one of the names interviewed and in the 'final stage' is in the bookies frontrunners.

If this is correct then I reckon it's Dowie. Last time around he distanced himself immediately when asked but this time he's being very cagey and non-committal either way. He wouldn't enter talks especially final stages if he wasn't in a very strong position to take it and wouldn't want to be part of an interview process.

Sellers would be a huge let down, I don't want someone coming in and trying to bring City Development team in on loan.....so far they most have been :censored:e!

A huge let down compared to who & why do you think he would want to bring in City players?

He may be the manager that is more prepared to give youth its chance than previously.

During that Radio Manchester interview a few weeks ago, Mr. Corney talked about the close links we have with Manchester City. I wonder if Scott Sellers has been recommended to us by the hierarchy at the Etihad with a view to him getting experience in management with a view to him geeeting higher up in the coaching/managerial ranks there in the future.

In the same interview Mr.Corney also said that young academy players on big money weren't motivated to come and try L1, and that the big clubs are nurturing small, nippy technical players that are really suited to L1, so I doubt we see an influx of "City Rejects" if he was appointed.

Edited by ghostofcecere

Just read on Chron website that Corney hasn't contacted Dowie...that's probably why he's been cagey. Rejection isn't in his vocabulary so could well not have been contacted. Kick in the nuts as he thought he was only candidate lol

2 more defeats on the spin and we are in a relegation fight, we got away with a rookie once but we had a striker in red hot form, do we want to roll the dice on another rookie with no striker in form?

I have no idea what Sellars is likely to bring to us as manager.

Corney will after meeting with him though and he didn't do too badly with his last choice so I'll back his appointment, or anybody else's, 100%.

And history tell's us that the underwhelming choice's have been the most successful one's....

Ive actually got to a point where i dont care much now.....may as well drag it out till end of the season.

I was going to crewe but im not bothering now and home games which im working (and usually take day off) like MK, Rochdale, Sheff Utd, im no longer going to bother.

The club has decidedthe season is over so whats the point in turning up for dead rubbers...

will i go next year? I don't know...johnson may feel like hes left the club in a better position but ive never felt disintrest like now, even through chedgate and the penney era. I feel like his given the club and its fans a great kick in the knackers.

I think only an exciting manager will bring me back as a ST holder next year

Sellers to me has all the hall marks of a lee Johnson type appointment so dont be to quick to judge. Plus he was a far better footballer than Lee Johnson plus has his finger on the pulse at youth level with city and wolves and for a bit of a row at city was highly regarded at both clubs.....id be happy with him even tho i used to hate him and simon garner wen at Blackburn

I have no idea what Sellars is likely to bring to us as manager.

Corney will after meeting with him though and he didn't do too badly with his last choice so I'll back his appointment, or anybody else's, 100%.

And history tell's us that the underwhelming choice's have been the most successful one's....

Although I'd be worried if it was Yates

http://www.managerstats.co.uk/managers/mark-yates/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheltenham_Town_F.C.

Sellers to me has all the hall marks of a lee Johnson type appointment so dont be to quick to judge. Plus he was a far better footballer than Lee Johnson plus has his finger on the pulse at youth level with city and wolves and for a bit of a row at city was highly regarded at both clubs.....id be happy with him even tho i used to hate him and simon garner wen at Blackburn

I've got a good feeling about Sellars, based on not a lot.

He could be a Sheridan type if he has his teams playing in his mould as a player.

I'm not suggesting he was as good as or that similar to Sheridan but they both played football the "right way".....

I always us to sign Sellars as a player. Cultured footballer. I reckon he's front runner. He's got a lot of coaching experience. He isn't a young manager - he's 49. This is an ideal time for him. He's also got all that experience with youth players, something the club is keen on. As for City, he left under a cloud.

On the surface (and i stress 'surface') he ticks some of the boxes.

This is just like two years ago. I got totally pissed off at the slow reaction of the board. It nearly led to relegation. Why do they drag their feet in this way. Be decisive, FFS.

I don't know anything about either but I'm past caring now.

We were always going to appoint an uninspiring manager or somebody with little expeirnece.

I just want to see somebody in with their own ideas now, Holden is just continuing with the old managers style.

A non descipt appointment will get a non descript response from fans, winning people back from sofas is a tall order.

While an exciting appointment might add 1000 to his first crowd they'd soon disappear again if we weren't playing winning, entertaining football. And he'd soon disappear if we were.

A non descript appointment who might stick around to build something (yeah, I know) might bring them back on a permanent basis.