New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's a cheap appointment to make him easy for the new owners to replace ...

My thoughts exactly.

If this this appointment goes through it is completely at odds with the positivity created around the club recently. Notwithstanding how effective a Kelly and Holden partnership turn out to be, it will certainly have zero positive impact on the season tickets which will form the basis of next seasons budget.

I can’t help feeling that Corney and Blitz hands are tied by a trusted interested party on the side lines insisting the New Stand is completed for a deal to go through.

This would make sense on a couple of fronts. The new owners inherit a complete ground with income stream and explain the sudden acceleration of building work a couple of months ago.

It doesn’t however square with the implied and real fear of automatic relegation with Kelly and Holden at the helm. Maybe Kelly is something special in Corney’s eyes – it’s certainly Corney’s risk. Personally I would give anyone the benefit of the doubt, not having done the interview.

The only way a new manager can do worse than the last four is to get us relegated. It would be realistic, if the stand is completed at best pace, new owners would be in well before that happens.

Whoever the eventual new owners turn out to be they are unlikely to be Latics Fans and will certainly have plans of their own, possibly plans the 3A’s can’t or won’t fund.

Someone buying the club with no plans is not going to happen.

If there is no one in the background waiting to buy and Corney does employ Kelly I will definitely be very disappointed but absolutely still a fan and season ticket holder. For the time being it is only a rumour and I don’t know how effective Kelly would be.

I will give him a fair go, if necessary.

My concern is the style of play, Kelly was a defender as was Holden - and we have seen Holden's tactics.

So defenders can't be good managers? You seem to be judging Kelly based off Holdens recent run.

So defenders can't be good managers? You seem to be judging Kelly based off Holdens recent run.

I see it as both on the same wavelengh.

If I'm wrong I'll no doubt regret not purchasing a season ticket.

People go on about the 'cheap option' like we have much of a choice. We average about 3300 home fans per game, dwindling year on year. Plus that stand didn't pay for itself. Maybe we just need to accept we're not going to be able to attract/afford top managers with pedigree and we have to go for young inexperienced coaches who impress in interviews and bring fresh ideas.

People go on about the 'cheap option' like we have much of a choice. We average about 3300 home fans per game, dwindling year on year. Plus that stand didn't pay for itself. Maybe we just need to accept we're not going to be able to attract/afford top managers with pedigree and we have to go for young inexperienced coaches who impress in interviews and bring fresh ideas.

There's always a choice, the lads are choosing what's best for them - cheap.

As somebody else said - Dowie, or a similar appointment, would have resulted in at least an extra 500 season tickets. 500 x £350 = £175k.

Assuming this poor lad is on about £40k that makes it the expensive option.....

Clutching at straws on here tonight, Corney and Co are in it for the long haul creaming you as they go. Not a chance in hell they will sell up, they may allow someone on board but if you think they will give up the bits of the business earning them good money your seriously deluded, the team is run as an afterthought with minimum financal risk, wouldnt call it asset stripping but anyone who thinks the board cares about the fans wishes and aspirations needs their head testing.

Edited by yarddog73

You're not buying a season ticket?

No Senor, to my mind I see much of the same style of football next season and I've had enough of that. I may regret it of course. I'm also 70yo now and feet up watching the TV seems more appealing. I will probably go to a few selected Latics matches and non league to maintain an interest in a game I am rapidly losing interest in.

I'll still check into OWTB though for your astute observations.

Edited by BP1960

Comparing Judas and this guy is also mystifying for all his faults Johnson brought in some quality players for little money through his contacts, knowledge and understanding of Level 2 and 3 football, Kelly has spent the last few years at the arse end of the football pyramid or trawling around the North East Primary school pitches searching out talented 8 and 9 year olds, its all very worrying that another good talker gets the job over what appears to be some very good candidates, yes men need only apply (ones who work for peanuts)

LJ didn't do too well until Tommy Wright came in an experienced assistant.

Next season we will have an under 9s coach managing us with an assistant who doesn't really know his arse from his elbow. I wouldn't mind an LJ type punt but I'd want Corney to have insisted on an experienced number 2.

And Dean Holden was not doing too well till TP came in to help him. So that backs up the experienced Assistant.

What are the odds or Dean Holden leaving by Christmas?

Johnson flattered to deceive till he was found out.

Fond of the soundbite and motivational tweet.

History repeating itself?

As others have said, 100 of the best ever candidates, a 2 month search, Did they all just walk away?

Is he last man left interested?

how long till he is found out?

Baffled.

Kelly has spent the last few years at the arse end of the football pyramid or trawling around the North East Primary school pitches searching out talented 8 and 9 year olds, its all very worrying that another good talker gets the job over what appears to be some very good candidates, yes men need only apply (ones who work for peanuts)

Although this appointment seems very strange, it just worth pointing out that it's highly unlikely that he'll have been scouting 8 or 9 year olds. He will have had some responsibility for the academy as a whole but his academy work seems to have been around the development / youth level rather than the foundation phase. In other words, the older age groups and more like what Pete Wild does for us. It had been mooted that Scott Sellars & Tony Carrs had been in the running, both of which (I think) are currently working at u21 level which isn't in line with our club structure so in some ways appointing at this phase makes relatively more sense than those two in certain regards.