Was there something else behind Lee Johnson leaving?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope we can appoint someone soon so we can all stop talking about the little runt!

I was gutted he left but he's gone and we move on. I wish him well in the future but I hope he falls on his arse at Barnsley if only just to teach him a big lesson.

We need a new manager now.

On a side note I'd hate to see any of you get dumped off someone you care for as you would be suicidal. Players\ managers come and go but Some of you mardy bastards act like he :censored: on your dinner, :censored:ed your mum and made your dad carry him to Barnsley.;)

Edited by palmer1

Frankly I don't give two ****s as to what was going on behind the scenes. We were on a decent run of form and the Barnsley job and offer of compo turned more than one head in the equation!

What pains me is that we let Johnson go. Love him or hate him, he was performing and him leaving, this 100-page dossier etc was coincidental with our injuries and losing against the likes of Orient. Had Corney refused Barnsley, do you think Johnson would have boycotted or spat his dummy out? I doubt it. A quick word to him that success at Oldham would have put him in the window for other clubs much larger than Barnsley and he would have been back focussing on getting us up.

As I said, Corney's eye has been off this club for a long while...do I trust those running the show in the boardroom? Do I :censored:!

I just hope we can appoint someone soon so we can all stop talking about the little runt!

I was gutted he left but he's gone and we move on. I wish him well in the future but I hope he falls on his arse at Barnsley if only just to teach him a big lesson.

We need a new manager now.

On a side note I'd hate to see any of you get dumped off someone you care for as you would be suicidal. Players\ managers come and go but Some of you mardy bastards act like he :censored: on your dinner, :censored:ed your mum and made your dad carry him to Barnsley.;)

Haha!! That is the funniest thing I have read throughout all of this!!

Its very simple and I'm sure its already been mentioned.....

When SC offered LJ a new longer term contract LJ made sure there was an automatic release clause in it. LJ and his agent tout it about and when that offer was met by Barnsley SC could no nothing but allow LJ to talk to them in the hope that he stayed.

He didn't.....:censored: him! Good riddance!

It is simple yes and obvious but you are missing the point! SC says to LJ I am happy wiith progress and want to offer you a contract 'extension.'

LJ comes back and says Ok thanks but I want a release clause in it for peanuts.

SC says to LJ F--- Off then stay on the original contract and I might be looking around at new managers in the summer! Its called planning

I couldnt give a :censored: about Johnson now but yet again OAFC has been shafted by bad management

It is simple yes and obvious but you are missing the point! SC says to LJ I am happy wiith progress and want to offer you a contract 'extension.'

LJ comes back and says Ok thanks but I want a release clause in it for peanuts.

SC says to LJ F--- Off then stay on the original contract and I might be looking around at new managers in the summer! Its called planning

I couldnt give a :censored: about Johnson now but yet again OAFC has been shafted by bad management

So we threaten or young promising manager with the sack if he doesn't sign a long term contract heavily in a favour. Wow what a negotiation tactic! Its not called planning its called business and if Corney had done that can you imagine the :censored: storm to come down on him again if we got rid of LJ in the summer you would have been on here slagging SC. laughable! Edited by palmer1

Tommy Wright seems to be getting off a little lightly doesn't he? LJ asked him if he would join him and he jumped at the chance after being here for a far shorter time than LJ. If he had stayed he might well have been manager now, but he preferred to be a number 2.

So we threaten or young promising manager with the sack if he doesn't sign a long term contract heavily in a favour. Wow what a negotiation tactic! Its not called planning its called business and if Corney had done that can you imagine the :censored: storm to come down on him again if we got rid of LJ in the summer you would have been on here slagging SC. laughable!

A :censored:storm in the summer compared with the :censored:storm now? Business my arse, SC allowed us to be hung out to dry

There is a lot more to negotiations than merely what actually goes into the contract at the end

Edited by ChaddySmoker

A :censored:storm in the summer compared with the :censored:storm now? Business my arse, SC allowed us to be hung out to dry

There is a lot more to negotiations than merely what actually goes into the contract at the end

You keep, quite naively, comparing the world of sport to the world of business.

Tommy Wright seems to be getting off a little lightly doesn't he? LJ asked him if he would join him and he jumped at the chance after being here for a far shorter time than LJ. If he had stayed he might well have been manager now, but he preferred to be a number 2.

Managers usually take their assistant with them, he wouldn't have fancied going to Barnsley on his own.

Threatening your young manger with the sack if he doesnt sign the deal you want him to is not one of them :lol1:

If those who think LJ was pushed would just review the facts you will understand that he jumped and had been on the run up looking for another club for some time. I'm sure most people at Oldham were sad to see him go but I'm not sure SC was because there is a rumour of a falling out with LJ.

Some of us let LJ know what we thought and now the future isn't bright the future is that we are worse off than before he came. We have moved from resignation that each season is a relegation battle and have been given hope only to have it dashed by a combination of Ched and Lee with a sprinkling of Simon who is making sure he gets the right man whilst the team is in free fall.

To be honest, I don't really give a toss. As I've said before, I don't think Johnson's all that. He's shown some potential this season, after a pretty disappointing season last time, so I'd have preferred he'd stayed to see whether he could have mounted a playoff push or whether our form would have disintegrated the way it has over the past few weeks. The timing was dreadful in terms of any playoff challenge though.

What I really enjoyed was watching his awkward applause to all sides of the ground as he emerged on Saturday, obviously having expected the 'mixed response' he talked about in his post match interview, then sheepishly tucking his hands in his pockets when he was met with a load of abuse.

LJ is a very young headstrong ambitious manager.

He obviously believes his own hype that he will manage in the premiership one day.

He may well do that but is obviously so impatient to get there he will basically use anybody or any club to do it quickly.

Latics were his first stepping stone and Barnsley the next and i hope that one day the people he sh** on to get there will do the same when he falls , as they always do.

It was obvious from his contract clauses and his actions that he would be off sooner rather than later and i whilst i understand ambition etc etc i will never forgive his timing.

Knowing all this SC should have been working on his next manager so he was more or less in place when LJ went.

Looking at all the dealings Latics have done over the years under SC he has obviously been let down a lot by people he has put his trust in.

Which then makes me wonder that to have run a successful business he must have been extremely lucky !!!!!!!!!!

Maybe the reason comes back to Chedgate? It's not beyond the realms of possibility that LJ or his family were targeted by the threats of the opposers. Perhaps that was enough for him/his family to agree it was best to find a new challenge for safety's sake.

I doubt that. Because on Day 2 I queried whether Johnsons position was untenable because he must have approved it. I was a lone voice at the time. I even got accused of having a perosnal vendetta by someone who seems to have one for Corney now....

There were many many still thinking the sun shone out of Johnsons aris.

And no, it wasn't me that did any threats to Johnsons family..

Though I do tend to agree, the whole saga was the start of our dip in form and being behind the scenes must have been quite depressing for the whole team and backroom staff. Maybe it confirmed to them what many of us think now.

Edited by singe

LJ is a very young headstrong ambitious manager.

He obviously believes his own hype that he will manage in the premiership one day.

He may well do that but is obviously so impatient to get there he will basically use anybody or any club to do it quickly.

Latics were his first stepping stone and Barnsley the next and i hope that one day the people he sh** on to get there will do the same when he falls , as they always do.

It was obvious from his contract clauses and his actions that he would be off sooner rather than later and i whilst i understand ambition etc etc i will never forgive his timing.

Knowing all this SC should have been working on his next manager so he was more or less in place when LJ went.

Looking at all the dealings Latics have done over the years under SC he has obviously been let down a lot by people he has put his trust in.

Which then makes me wonder that to have run a successful business he must have been extremely lucky !!!!!!!!!!

That's a good post. corney is not the Massiah, but he is hardly the Devil Incarnate.

What amazes me, is the some are prepared to back Johnson who has been here five minutes and achived absolutely nothing (actualy I take that bit back, he did a fantastic job saving us from relegation in his first season albeit arguably with other managers players but he did what he did) over someone who had been here a decade and put money into the club.

So how much better shape were we in by the time he left

When he took over we were on 36 points from 36 games, so would havebeen relegated

When he left we were on 43 points from 31 games on course for 63 points. Around 9th ish

Edited by singe

And if he hadn't got the job he'd have likely have ended up unemployed once the new manager came in and wanted his own number two.

To be fair to Wright the last time he was here the new manager brought his own staff in and he got the push.

Maybe thinking the same would happen you can't blame him for taking the chance , also he may not wish to manage ?