Mike Jones

Whilst I've no desire to enter the 'Who's better...?' debate, it was a cock-up. He wasn't on the goal line, he didn't need to aimlessly swing his foot at it with no regard to what was around him. Winchester has the ability to do better in a situation like that but he panicked and paid the price for it.

What was he doing so deep anyway? a goalkeeper, back four and an holding midfielder should have been enough to sort out the danger.

No wonder we are poor moving forward with seven around our own area.

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I supposed has Winchester not been there their lad would have had a free shot at goal.

If he hadn't been there, you would be expecting someone else in the back five to do a job instead of standing around like statues as they often appear to look.

Edited by BP1960

Whilst I've no desire to enter the 'Who's better...?' debate, it was a cock-up. He wasn't on the goal line, he didn't need to aimlessly swing his foot at it with no regard to what was around him. Winchester has the ability to do better in a situation like that but he panicked and paid the price for it.

I disagree you put your foot through it at first opportunity in that situation (even if you are messi)...he was very unlucky.

What was he doing so deep anyway? a goalkeeper, back four and an holding midfielder should have been enough to sort out the danger.

No wonder we are poor moving forward with seven around our own area.

It was from a corner- one that looked a debatable decision.

Cocking up is a bit harsh - it was a freak goal

It was a total cock up. Stop making excuses for him, he had time to clear it and hesitated allowing their player to get closer to him but not close enough to block it until Winchester hit the ball not outwards toward the wings as any player should do but back towards the centre circle then it hit the player and went into the net!

Rose coloured glasses I think!

If he hadn't been there, you would be expecting someone else in the back five to do a job instead of standing around like statues as they often appear to look.

So a ball falls to our player in our area and you try to criticise others for just watching him clear it out of danger given that he had plenty of time and no pressure?

I think we all understand that the think we are defensive. Set up defensively, play defensively with a defensive attitude. However sometimes all players must defend. It was a corner after all

Winchester should have dealt with it better. He was very unlucky to have it go in but sometimes just big a boot exactly the way you face it better than trying to kick away further upfield. Conceded a corner and re-organise is need be.

Edited by palmer1

So a ball falls to our player in our area and you try to criticise others for just watching him clear it out of danger given that he had plenty of time and no pressure?

Corner on not there were enough defenders to take control, look again how often none of them takes responsibility at set plays. No need for Winchester to be that deep at all. Attack the ball defenders don't watch it and hope for the best.

Another thing, even if Winchester had cleared the ball there was no hope of a break away as our players were so deep, the ball would have been picked up by a Barnsley player and fired back into the mix again.

Edited by BP1960

The goalie doesn't help the back four though.
Cross comes in and the goalie starts to come so defenders leave it ,

he then backs off and their forward moves in making it look like defenders are standing still.

Worse type of goalkeeping in the world.

Once you have made decision to leave your line you should come for it , even if you miss it chances are you will maybe get a free kick or put the forward off.

Doing what Kean does is criminal and just causes absolute uncertainty in the back four.

What makes it worse is the guy must be 6'4" and wont come for crosses.

He has cost us more goals in 6 games than Rabchubka did in the entire season.

Thanks LJ.

he then backs off and their forward moves in making it look like defenders are standing still.

Once you have made decision to leave your line you should come for it , even if you miss it chances are you will maybe get a free kick or put the forward off.

Doing what Kean does is criminal and just causes absolute uncertainty in the back four.

Thanks LJ.

He came for every cross in his first game, has he been coached not to since then?

Thanks LJ.

Paddy Kenny did pro rata.

Paddy Kenny did pro rata.

Can't remember Kenny actually 'costing' us many goals, let down massively by the defence at the time.

Think kean is getting some unfair stick too. Didn't have the best of game Saturday granted but nowhere near as bad as people are making out.

quote from Mike Jones on Saturday

Question..."have you spoken to Lee Johnson?"

MJ........"why would I want to speak to him??"

que massive cheers and round of applause

and according to a mate of mine who was in the O2 suite, he was properly pissed off after the game

restored my faith

COYB

Can't remember Kenny actually 'costing' us many goals, let down massively by the defence at the time.

Think kean is getting some unfair stick too. Didn't have the best of game Saturday granted but nowhere near as bad as people are making out.

He was even worse tonight....

I'm ashamed to say I thought "hopefully he's injured" when he went down from Kusunga clattering I to him....

He was even worse tonight....

I'm ashamed to say I thought "hopefully he's injured" when he went down from Kusunga clattering I to him....

I actually said the same thing got a few dirty lucks. He should have come off then instead of faking the one after to his face which nearly cost us a goal

I actually said the same thing got a few dirty lucks. He should have come off then instead of faking the one after to his face which nearly cost us a goal

It was noticeable how vocal & enthusiastic Coleman was when he came on. Pointing, organising - very promising.

Their third looked a very good strike he could do little about. Hope I'm right when I see it played back.....

It was noticeable how vocal & enthusiastic Coleman was when he came on. Pointing, organising - very promising.

Their third looked a very good strike he could do little about. Hope I'm right when I see it played back.....

He was a bit of his line but it was a dipping shot which was a very good goal

Last season Rachubka saved us, this season Kean will relegate us if he continues to play. The defence have no confdence in him and you can see why. Its nerve wracking and pretty shambolic seeing how unconfident he is at claiming crosses.

• 7 months later...

Wish Mike Jones would knock the diving on the head, one of my favourite players of the last couple of seasons he has developed a rather poor habit of trying to con the ref, if nothing else its embarrassing. He's better than that.

Well it gives another opportunity to criticise